PDA

View Full Version : Handmade Wheels Suggestions

Wilkinson4
10-27-2011, 07:40 PM
So, I have a pair of Alchemy wheels on the Strong DRB and they are really nice with the ORC/Elf hubs.

Since the Ellis is around the corner, I am starting to think about wheels for it. I am considering sew-ups.

What hubs, rims, spokes and tires do y'all like? What builder?

Anybody ride on FMB tires? 700x25/27 Paris Roubaix look wonderful.

mIKE

AngryScientist
10-27-2011, 07:45 PM
what drivetrain?

IMO, record hubs are the best for the money, bar none.

Wilkinson4
10-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Campy Record 11spd...

mIKE

AngryScientist
10-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Campy Record 11spd...

mIKE

yea, if black and 32h are OK with you, cant beat record then.

white industries look very nice too.

word on CK website is that R45 hubs in campy available in January if you can wait that long, those are nice too.

wooly
10-27-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm riding on some Ambrosio Nemesis rims laced to King r45's with FMB Roubaix 25's. The ride is really nice. They've been my primary wheels for the last month as I picked them up on the forum.

They are my favorite wheels.

maunahaole
10-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Joe Young, ergott, Justin Spinelli....

Lots of good competent wheelbuilders out there and good components. Component choice depends a lot on you and the type of riding that you do. That list is not exhaustive, just names that you hear a lot associated with good builds. Give them a ring and tell them what you want to do and discuss it with them.

bicycole
10-27-2011, 09:42 PM
A king/ambrosio set up is sure to be a solid wheelset. get some anodized nipples to match the hubs!

gavingould
10-27-2011, 10:07 PM
I've been riding some Alchemy Elf/Orc hubs to Kinlin TB-25 tubulars for 'cross this year, local builder. Straight gauge spokes, 28h radial front, 2x rear. Extremely strong wheels; I weigh in at around 225lbs and have crashed them very hard this season. Still straight as an arrow.

bicycole
10-27-2011, 10:12 PM
impressive. I'll have to look into those.

xeladragon
10-27-2011, 11:13 PM
If I were in the market for an aluminum tubular wheelset, I'd probably do R45s laced to HED C2 rims with CX-Rays. I have this exact wheelset but clincher courtesy of Justin Spinelli. Pretty sure he is offering a discounted price if you put down a deposit soon... Check his blog. Like most people, I'm a fan of the wider rim.

DRZRM
10-27-2011, 11:40 PM
+1, I love Record hubs, but when the R45 adapters for Campy actually are available, I'd imagine a pair just like this coming my way.

If I were in the market for an aluminum tubular wheelset, I'd probably do R45s laced to HED C2 rims with CX-Rays. I have this exact wheelset but clincher courtesy of Justin Spinelli. Pretty sure he is offering a discounted price if you put down a deposit soon... Check his blog. Like most people, I'm a fan of the wider rim.

oldpotatoe
10-28-2011, 07:45 AM
Campy Record 11spd...

mIKE

Ambrosio rims, DT double butted spokes, brass nipps. Laced 3 cross all around. Vittoria tubulars.

Do a little 'puter research about 'cold vulcanized' vs 'hot'. FMB, Dugast, basically the tread is glued on, that's about all. Some say makes for a more lively tire, but I've seen a few treads come unglued. Vittoria are great tires, as are Veloflex(more $ tho). Still waiting for Clements...

keevon
10-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Winter's coming... why not try your hand at wheel building?

jr59
10-28-2011, 07:54 AM
I'm ridding a set of Joe Young wheels! They are GREAT, and I have tried to send many a person in that way.

That being said;

There is NO DOUBT, that when I need another set of wheels built,

I am going to call 330-440-3535, or I am sending my check to a shop in Boulder Co.

Vecchio's answers every question I could ever ask, without me buying one thing from them. Even though I try.

Next set of wheels I buy will be from Old Potatos!!!

oldpotatoe
10-28-2011, 08:06 AM
I'm ridding a set of Joe Young wheels! They are GREAT, and I have tried to send many a person in that way.

That being said;

There is NO DOUBT, that when I need another set of wheels built,

I am going to call 330-440-3535, or I am sending my check to a shop in Boulder Co.

Vecchio's answers every question I could ever ask, without me buying one thing from them. Even though I try.

Next set of wheels I buy will be from Old Potatoes!!!

Thanks for the pitch, yep, I am 'somewhat' passionate and opinionated about this daffy world of 'bicycles'.

BUT back to the OP, hard to beat Ambrosio tubie rims, some of the very best made. I just built a set for a guy that's going to cross them. You learn a lot about rims when you build them new. Wish I could get these wholesale but alas, cannot.

BUT if ya want non traditional looking, Velocity Major Toms, building a set on CK hubs(again for cross) today.

Not a fan of thin, very expensive spokes, BTW. CX-rays, DT Aerolights..big $ for little advantage, IMHO.

Kontact
10-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Some of the most durable hubs we've seen at the shop are the DTs. They don't seem to get talked about much, but they have an incredibly tough freehub design, and work with Campy or Shimano.

rodcad
10-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Old Potatoe builds my wheels and I have never had an issue or had to true them, and I'm north of 220#. Peter is 45 minutes away from me and well worth the drive for my cycling needs. Next up for me is a killer set of wheels for my Veloswap bought Mooto-X YBB.

Rod in FC

oldpotatoe
10-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Some of the most durable hubs we've seen at the shop are the DTs. They don't seem to get talked about much, but they have an incredibly tough freehub design, and work with Campy or Shimano.

But they have gotten real expensive, as I know you know. We looked at the new DT 350 at the show. All of the 240 but wee bit heavier, much less expensive.

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Components/Hubs/340-classic-%281%29.aspx