PDA

View Full Version : Cross single setup, fd as a chain keeper?

tuscanyswe
10-27-2011, 07:30 PM
So im going to try and run a 39 x 11-23 or 12-25.

Whats my cheapest but still good way to do this?

Im thinking of putting the 39t on the big ring possition and just getting ss chainbolts and keep chain in place with a chain keeper. Can i possibly use my regular fd to do this without the use of a cable somehow instead of buying a paul gadget or similar?

I guess the other option is to buy a chain guard but im abit tired of these expenses adding up. Cant find a campy one around here for some reason so theres shipping etc. Keeps adding up.

Any other cheap functional solutions out there?

Thanks

Bruce K
10-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Ring on the inside. Bash guard on the outside (BBG guards are pretty cheap and come in colors). Chain keeper on the seat tube.

That's the safest, most secure way to do this.

I like the K-Edge chain keeper the best.

Another option is the Paul's chain keeper that goes over the top of the chain. You can then put the single ring on the outside.

A third option is a single ring kit from cyclocrossworld.com.

BK

tuscanyswe
10-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Ring on the inside. Bash guard on the outside (BBG guards are pretty cheap and come in colors). Chain keeper on the seat tube.

That's the safest, most secure way to do this.

I like the K-Edge chain keeper the best.

Another option is the Paul's chain keeper that goes over the top of the chain. You can then put the single ring on the outside.

A third option is a single ring kit from cyclocrossworld.com.

BK

So the paul might be the cheapest option. Then i just need that and the ss bolts.

The cxworld kit is nice ive been eyeing it.

Thanks!

rcnute
10-27-2011, 08:30 PM
I just got a Jump Stop for ten bucks.

Mike748
10-27-2011, 08:40 PM
I run an old FD using the limit screws to position it and have it set lower than normal.

tuscanyswe
10-27-2011, 08:44 PM
That was my idea too how is that working, using the fd? i guess you can only run it on the small ring tho right?

My fd limit screw bottoms out way before it would reach the big ring possition. Perhaps i can just get a longer screw tho.

That would be cheap cause i would need nothing other than a screw and some chainring bolts. Provided it works well..

bicycole
10-27-2011, 09:39 PM
My suggestion would be to get a BBG bashguard for the outer ring and then cut off the outside part of the cage. if you don't want to ruin a nice f. der., get a ???? one from your local used shop. looks a little slimmer/better ATMO

tuscanyswe
10-27-2011, 09:43 PM
I guess thats an alternative. prolly have one or 2 low end fds in the box somewhere aswell.

oldpotatoe
10-28-2011, 07:50 AM
I run an old FD using the limit screws to position it and have it set lower than normal.

Which is the same as an aftermarket chainwatcher like from paul. Best, cheapest solution, IMO.

Mike748
10-28-2011, 08:28 AM
That was my idea too how is that working, using the fd? i guess you can only run it on the small ring tho right?

My fd limit screw bottoms out way before it would reach the big ring possition. Perhaps i can just get a longer screw tho.

That would be cheap cause i would need nothing other than a screw and some chainring bolts. Provided it works well..

Yes, I'm running on the inner ring position. Better chain line there. One day I'll pony up for a Paul chain guide, but for now I'm being cheap. Plus its a 7400 DA FD, so it looks good!

Litespeed_Mike
10-28-2011, 09:49 AM
I can't advocate for the Paul chain keeper enough. Its a great piece of gear. I've tried single and double ringguard solutions and have always been disappointed.

One thing to think about with running larger rings on the inside or with double ringguards is frame clearance at times becomes and issue. I've had to space out 42t setups out or use triple BBs.