PDA

View Full Version : What do you ride on sloppy trails?

tkbike
10-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Just wondering what people ride on "less than ideal condition trails". After tonight's ride, I had a heavy single speed in the wrong gear! I'm thinking it may be time for a SS hardtail, not sure if a 26" or 29er.

Bad cellphone pic during ride after trying to clear some ice and snow!

Pete Serotta
10-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Based on my likes SPEICALIZED, TREK, or GARY FISHER SUPER FLY are ones I am looking at.

I am far from an expert and will probably go with what Mike at CYCLESPORT recommends.

For this area of NC, I like the hard tail but the SUPER FLY is still the one I am going to try again.

Let us know how you make out with the selection and why. Keep that weather in the picture there this weekend. :D

Ti is another good choice - - for when I ride I crash and paint comes off and black and blue marks go on me.

PETE

rice rocket
10-27-2011, 08:10 PM
I got a hardtail 29er about a week ago. Trek/Gary Fisher Marlin single speed. It's super entry level, but it shares a frame with the $1500 Fisher Rig.

Weighs 30.2 lbs. :eek: I calculated I could drop nearly 5 lbs going with KPs new rims, Novatec hubs, and going tubeless on some Schwalbe Racing Ralphs. I could hit 23 w/ a new fork, or down to 20-21 if I weight weenied my cranks, cockpit, and seatpost/saddle down.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-sA0L4zdNy6g/Tpmh0emWArI/AAAAAAAACZ8/ou6nUNTC-LU/s640/IMG_20111015_110256.jpg