PDA

View Full Version : Advice on selling an old bike

RichardH
10-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Hi,

I need to reduce my bike count due to a lack of space, and have decided to sell a Chas Roberts road bike that I put together in the late eighties. I'm not sure whether to sell the bike complete, or to sell the components separately from the frame and forks.

The frame and forks are 531c, but age has softened them and now the flex on the bottom bracket causes the gears to skip. It still looks pretty good.

The gears are dura-ace, and the brakes and chainset are the original Chorus.The wheels are Campag Omega Strada with Victory hubs, and it has a Campag aero seat post.

I'd be grateful for any advice on selling it as a bike, or as parts.

Thanks

Richard

fiamme red
10-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I'm pretty sure that your frame hasn't softened over time. Probably your shifters/cables/derailleurs need to be adjusted.

You'd make more money parting the bike out and selling frame and parts separately, but it's hard to say how much more.

LouDeeter
10-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Put a price on it as a "complete bike" or "frame/fork/hs" and then sell the parts separately if someone bites on the frame. As a buyer, my concern would be whether the parts have a lot of miles given that you say that the frame has softened with use over the years. That's a LOT of miles in my opinion. It begs the question of whether it was raced as well. The flexing could be something other than use of course. It could be a problem with the brazing at the bb. Or, maybe you just are stronger than you once were. Regardless, putting a price on it is the best way to find a buyer. If you pack it yourself with a free box from the bike shop, you can expect shipping to cost about $50-75 for complete bike and $25-40 for the frame/fork/hs, depending of course on how big the box is and how you ship.

cnighbor1
10-27-2011, 04:44 PM
On my than new Strawberry frame with a mono rear stay (single tube from seat post to a small fork crown at wheel than typcal rear stays) I first tried no indexing has it was 1983 and indexing was just being introduced.
Frame would flex under load going up hill and down shift. resulting my falling over has I couldn't turn the crank over!
What to do
Ah indexing migh work And it did has it allows for a bt of play with the top pulley being allowed to move sideways just a bit
Yes
Worked fine after that
Charles

Keith A
10-27-2011, 04:47 PM
I moved this to the general discussion section, since you are just asking for advice. Please be aware of the following rule before posting anything for sale in the classified section...

Since the software doesn't allow for this to happen, we will have to "self police" this rule. Please send any of our great moderators a private message if you see anyone with less than 20 postings attempting to sell something in the Classified section.