PDA

View Full Version : track rider who can produce 2500 watts (yikes!)

Climb01742
10-27-2011, 11:53 AM
here's a cool video about an aussie track rider and what goes into being able to put out 2500 watts. i had no idea that was humanly possible.

http://vimeo.com/26494905

crownjewelwl
10-27-2011, 12:01 PM
thanks for posting...that's insane

Fixed
10-27-2011, 12:02 PM
the poor bike
cheers

fiamme red
10-27-2011, 12:02 PM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7392903

A new procedure was developed for calculating power production during Olympic lifting movements and comparisons were made with a method previously used... Results showed the expected increase in power with increased bodyweight for a given movement. Values for the jerk drive ranged from 2140 watts in the 56 kg class to 4786 watts for a 110 kg lifter.

William
10-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Now that's one finely tuned machine! :cool:

William

AngryScientist
10-27-2011, 12:43 PM
it it really common for track riders to use clips and straps, as opposed to clipless pedals? really?

Fixed
10-27-2011, 12:45 PM
double straps
cheers

fiamme red
10-27-2011, 12:45 PM
it it really common for track riders to use clips and straps, as opposed to clipless pedals? really?They use both for security.

ultraman6970
10-27-2011, 12:56 PM
I never used clipless pedals in the track for example. Always regular pedals with clips and double type of straps. Clipless did not work at least for me in the track at all.

nooneline
10-27-2011, 12:59 PM
it it really common for track riders to use clips and straps, as opposed to clipless pedals? really?

Sprinters in particular favor an extremely secure setup. There are all sorts of ways to modify a clipless pedal so that a strap can be held. Some people use singles, some people use doubles, but yes, the clipless + straps combination is pretty common - particularly at the world-class level.

Old SPD-Rs are favored by some, because they can be set extremely tight.

fatallightning
10-27-2011, 12:59 PM
as others have said, many sprinters double up. although one would think it's for security in terms of accidentally unclipping, anecdotally it seems the better reason is because it keeps your foot from rising in the interior of the shoe, keeping everything more "compressed." it feels good man, takes all the up down slop you feel when doing hard standing starts.

AngryScientist
10-27-2011, 01:01 PM
interesting, i never knew.

i do know speedplay makes a track special pedal that is supposed to be ultra secure, but what fl said makes sense too.

FlashUNC
10-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Last thing any of these guys want to do is come out of a pedal in a sprint, so they tend to go overboard on keeping tied down.

For us mere mortals, I've raced on the track with my usual clipless pedals and been fine. Course, my 75 watt sprint leaves something to be desired....

Fixed
10-27-2011, 01:08 PM
a long time ago some road riders used doubles too .
cheers

jmoore
10-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Last thing any of these guys want to do is come out of a pedal in a sprint, so they tend to go overboard on keeping tied down.

For us mere mortals, I've raced on the track with my usual clipless pedals and been fine. Course, my 75 watt sprint leaves something to be desired....

agreed.

I have done some very hard efforts on the track (at least for me) in my Speedplay X5's and never felt insecure. I can certainly see stepping up to a double strap system though. Unclipping in a sprint would be disastrous for the rider and most likely those around him.

Gummee
10-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Last thing any of these guys want to do is come out of a pedal in a sprint, so they tend to go overboard on keeping tied down.Those are the sprinters. They're a little nuts anyway.

For us mere mortals, I've raced on the track with my usual clipless pedals and been fine. Course, my 75 watt sprint leaves something to be desired....I raced on SPD-Rs and SPD-SLs and didn't have any problems. I did try the double toe strap thing for a bit, but went back to the regular pedals.

Sigh. I miss racing track. Someone build one in NoVA m'kay?!

M

skijoring
10-27-2011, 03:02 PM
I saw crankarms come off two different bikes at Alpenrose in PDX.

Talk about scary. Both guys were able to come down off the banking,
and one leg it into the infield!

Luckily, not during mass start events - both during 4K or 1K. :hello:

ergott
10-27-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm more than halfway there :)

:beer:

bikinchris
10-27-2011, 05:23 PM
here's a cool video about an aussie track rider and what goes into being able to put out 2500 watts. i had no idea that was humanly possible.

http://vimeo.com/26494905

That kind of wattage is not uncommon in top sprinters. watching them walk is interesting. The thigh wobble they have make it look weird. Also, the 25 inch thighs make it kind of hard to buy clothes.

Gummee, When I win the powerball next Saturday, you will get an indoor velodrome in EVERY major city and capitol in the USA. As well as a top notch track program with coaches and a circuit for the whole country.

ZeroG
10-27-2011, 05:34 PM
What would be really cool is if they could finalize a 6-day race to sync with InterBike in Vegas. Then you would have the trade show, Starcrossed, and track racing. Every bike nut in town would be there!

thinpin
10-27-2011, 06:19 PM
That guys thighs are gross. I know mention was made about proportion in the video, but really.

54ny77
10-27-2011, 06:27 PM
awesome video.

wasn't cavendeesh a track guy at one point as well?

what a different breed.

the fine-tuning of the body like that....amazing.

45K10
10-27-2011, 06:30 PM
What kind of gearing does a Kerin rider typically use, 54x11 or something bigger?

Gummee
10-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Gummee, When I win the powerball next Saturday, you will get an indoor velodrome in EVERY major city and capitol in the USA. As well as a top notch track program with coaches and a circuit for the whole country.Awesome. Thanks man. I knew I could count on the nice folks here to have my back.

M

FlashUNC
10-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Those are the sprinters. They're a little nuts anyway.

I raced on SPD-Rs and SPD-SLs and didn't have any problems. I did try the double toe strap thing for a bit, but went back to the regular pedals.

Sigh. I miss racing track. Someone build one in NoVA m'kay?!

M

There's one opening in Rock Hill, SC next spring. I realize that's not exactly a stone's throw, but its better than nothing.

fiamme red
10-27-2011, 10:05 PM
What kind of gearing does a Kerin rider typically use, 54x11 or something bigger?No, actually about 50x14 or so.

Gummee
10-28-2011, 07:51 AM
There's one opening in Rock Hill, SC next spring. I realize that's not exactly a stone's throw, but its better than nothing.
I read about that. My little brother lives in Charlotte... I have somewhere to stay so I may just end up down there on the occasional weekend.

M

45K10
10-28-2011, 08:03 AM
No, actually about 50x14 or so.

If my math is correct, that means with a 50x14 gear you need to pedal the cranks @ 154 rpm to reach 77 kph ouch........

I noticed that during the video they did not stand during the final run to the line and at 154 rpm I can see why.

ultraman6970
10-28-2011, 10:07 AM
U dont need to stand, the speed is full at the end the most u can do is accelerate even more.

In track almost the only times u stand in the pedals is when u start an attach. After that pretty much the whole thing is seated. Roadies need to stand a lot more because the generation of power is different, aerobic. Trackers rely in anaerobic effords to keep the speed, no wonder the physique is different too.

And then when u have a tracker in the road, sure the tracker barely will use the gears and all the adjustments in speed he will make them with changes in the cadence. High level roadies do this, they barely use the gears if you ask me compared with the guy that think the bike is a 18 wheeler truck with 50 gears. Seen a lot of those ones in the last two years.

Well cheers :D