PDA

View Full Version : what brakes use stainless hardware?

AngryScientist
10-27-2011, 06:58 AM
my fixie is what i ride in the worst conditions. if i ride in the winter, i ride fixed. rain, salty roads, whatever. no rd, fd, etc. to worry about.

i'm running a pair of tektro long medium reach calipers on it now, but just swapped in a standard reach fork, so i can use standard reach brakes (the rear is OK, i checked). i have a set of ultegra 6600 calipers that were well used when i got them.

the tektros are in terrible shape, all the hardware is heavily rusted. the ultegra calipers show definite surface rust, not bad at all, but the hardware is clearly not stainless.

mind you, i actually take care of my bikes pretty well, i generally wipe them down after a messy ride, but let's face it, a bike like this is just a tool for me. i keep it in the garage outside where it's often damp during the winter. overall the bike is in great shape too, the only signs of rust whatsoever are on the caliper hardware.

do any of the major players use all stainless hardware for their brake calipers?

edit: all of my other bikes are campy, and i dont see them rusting, but they are mostly fairweather friends. i just bought a set of older chorus calipers from Liberace, should i throw these on the fixie and hope for the best?

bart998
10-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Maybe I'm wrong and there is some obscure maker out there, but I don't know of any brakes with stainless steel hardware. But I think Ti would fill the bill, No rusting.