PDA

View Full Version : Lemond Maillot Jaune

97CSI
07-25-2005, 06:56 AM
Looking at a Lemond Maillot Jaune frame ('98?) and wondering if anyone has had any experience with this Reynolds 853 bicycle? How you would describe its ride, etc. Thanks.

dirtdigger88
07-25-2005, 07:00 AM
I have a zurich- (same frame) they are nice bikes- mine is really too small for me but still a nice ride- there has been talk about people pulling the rear hub out of the drop outs (see pantera) but I have never had that happen- I logged near 14,000 miles on my zurich and I still have and ride it

Jason

Spinsistah
07-25-2005, 07:26 AM
One of my friends has one and loves it. Handles well, comfortable ride, etc.

97CSI
07-25-2005, 07:38 AM
Thanks.

PanTerra
07-25-2005, 11:15 AM
I have a zurich- (same frame) they are nice bikes- mine is really too small for me but still a nice ride- there has been talk about people pulling the rear hub out of the drop outs (see pantera) but I have never had that happen- I logged near 14,000 miles on my zurich and I still have and ride it

Jason

Yes, I had a Zurich, I wrote about my experience, linked in my signature "My CSi" but you will have to scroll down a little. My Zurich rode great. However, a combination of factors, some are specific to me, some specific to the frame, contributed to it's failure. My weight(260#) and height requiring a 61cm frame allowed the rear thin, nimble triangle to flex enough to work the skewers out of the really shallow droup-outs, just enough to allow the missalignment of the wheel letting the chain get wedged in between the spokes and the cassette. The plastic Rolf skewers would not stay seated on the slippery dropouts.

Just get a better skewer, I liked the Shimano XT MTB skewer for the rear wheel. If you are my size, don't sprint, out of the saddle, up long climbs. The bike couldn't handle it. But other than that it rode great.

champlemon
07-25-2005, 12:33 PM
Yes... I had a 55 cm... meaning that it a 56.5 cm top tube. Purple with Yellow... 853... solid bike... I'm a very big guy and I experienced no chain rub... The carbon fiber fork that it came with was decent... no chatter. The only reason I don't own it anymore is because I wanted something new... but I could have kept it forever... IMHO... you can't go wrong with it... unless you dislike the LeMond geometry...

Ken Robb
07-25-2005, 03:26 PM
I had what I think was a 2000 Zurich-the last year with quill stem, blue, red, white colors. It was a 57cm which was too small for the fit I prefer and it wobbled descending, a problem I have had with a few bikes but not the 8 I now ride. I think that was caused by the fork being too flexy for my 200 lbs. 2000 CSi, 58cm w/F1 fork descends like on rails.