PDA

View Full Version : The perfect pants?

d_man16
10-26-2011, 07:04 AM
I'm looking for the pair of perfect pants.

I'm outside a lot with my line of work, I some how stumbled upon a pair of Mountain Hardware Cordoba pants......Which I love- Their tough, look great and comfy. But, I still blasted out the leg just above the ankle this summer in the field. I also have an old pair of Cabala's gore-tex dungarees which are tough but have a funny boot cut that I'm not a fan of (it rides up and gets stuck on the top of my boots, letting in all sorts of unsavory things). These were great pants (aside from the cut) but they are sadly no longer waterproof and are pretty dated.

I've been doing some thinking about stepping up and purchasing another pair as a replacement. I stumbled upon Filson oil finish double tin pants in the back of a Outside magazine? Might it possibly fill the niche of both functionally and still be great looking? I've never heard of the company but the reviews seem great and they look great on the site.
http://www.filson.com/images/products/detail/14004-main-242.jpg
Has anybody got a pair and if so what do you think?

~D

christian
10-26-2011, 07:36 AM
They are stiff and super heavy. Unless you cut down trees for a living, you might be better served by the single-layer tin cloth pants. But I like the oil-finish Filson stuff. It's durable and wears well.

veloduffer
10-26-2011, 08:06 AM
I've worn Duluth Trading (http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-pants/work-pants-for-men/work-pants-for-men.aspx) clothes and they wear well. Geared for outside work with many models, good customer service.

Wilkinson4
10-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Try these

http://www.arborwear.com/

mIKE

gavingould
10-26-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm a big fan of Outlier's "Keirin-cut dungarees"

Yeah, they're pricey. They look great, comfortable, hold up really well. Can be casual or semi-dressy. Have a bit of water resistance to 'em. Air dry in 15-20 minutes after a wash, so great for travel.

Ti Designs
10-26-2011, 04:31 PM
I'll second the Arborwear suggestion. The company has changed hands since I bought stuff from them, but it's still a lot like buying a frame from a guy just getting set up to build - ask for what you want and see what happens...

Louis
10-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Maybe Rapha can create something. If they do, I have no doubt that they'll tell you that it's perfect.

Steve in SLO
10-26-2011, 05:06 PM
You might also check out Carhartt pants...sturdy, comfy and often available on Sierra Trading Post for cheap.

Ken Robb
10-26-2011, 07:49 PM
What about COSTCO denim jeans for $13-14? They are sturdier than many more expensive brands and the legs are wide enough to go over my boots and not get hung up on the tops. At this price I don't care what accidents my befall them as long as I don't get hurt in the adventure.

My more expensive jeans have a little finer hand but I don't think that's what you're seeking for outside work.

Ozz
10-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Filson makes great stuff...been around since the Yukon Gold Rush....everything still made in their Seattle Factory.

I had some regular Tin Pants about 30 yrs ago.....got too small, but never wore out.

You pay a bit for them but the quality is unmatched

DavidR
10-26-2011, 08:29 PM
I have worn and loved mountain khakis for a long time. My first pair is just starting to look a bit worn out after 6 years of heavy use. I have many of their different pants and shorts. Try the original mountain pant and i think you will love them!

christian
10-26-2011, 08:46 PM
everything still made in their Seattle Factory.
Alas, no. Some of their stuff is now imported. You have to look carefully. Tin clothes and wool mackinaws etc are still made in the USA.

nighthawk
10-26-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm a big fan of Outlier's "Keirin-cut dungarees"

Yeah, they're pricey. They look great, comfortable, hold up really well. Can be casual or semi-dressy. Have a bit of water resistance to 'em. Air dry in 15-20 minutes after a wash, so great for travel.

I've found Outlier's products to be somewhat underwhelming... I don't like the materials they use for their pants, and the quality just isn't there for the price they charge.

Also, Carhartt's are no longer made in the U.S. and surprisingly enough, the quality of their products have taken a crap, too.

I've always been a big fan of Filson's.. though I've only owned shirts and coats.

I'm going to have to vote Arborwear.

slowpoke
10-26-2011, 11:32 PM
Yeah, Filson is still quality.

d_man16, what are your criteria? Perfect pants are different for everyone. Outlier Keirins work for my use, but I'm not in construction and wouldn't fool myself into wear them on a job site if I was.

d_man16
10-27-2011, 02:56 AM
I'd like to think that I swing an axe or jump out of a plane to fight fires but sadly this is not the case. I spend a lot of time trying to get to streams an ponds.

Ideally, l would like a pair of pants that will be sturdy and take a beating from thick brush, leaving me unscathed. I'd also ideally have some high degree of water resistance, I find myself walking through wet areas (brush) frequently especially this past summer.

I had an oil impregnated canvas rain jacket while I was in High school and I really liked it, thus my attraction to the Filson pants.

I'd really like to be comfortable....Even if I have to break them in. I'd also like them to have some ascetic appeal, I'm no fashionista, but I'd like to be able to throw on a polo and be presentable in them.

~D

DRB
10-27-2011, 08:49 AM
My thoughts - I wore Filson tin pants when I fell timber in No. CA and So. OR. They are the best rain/snow pants a logger could want. Think steep ground, thick brush and pretty extreme abrasion conditions. They are very resistant to tears and snags. They are not waterproof but water repellant and will keep you warm if you wear a good long john (wool) underneath and work hard enough to generate heat. You don't wash them unless absolutely necessary and if you do you know you are losing some of the "tin". They are brought out for a specific need - working in weather when you would rather be home by the fire! As truly functional as they are I personally don't think they will also be...."aesthetic", "summer wear" and "worn with polos".
Dave

nighthawk
10-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Years ago I remember friends coming back from trips to Europe with pants they purchased there... I remember thinking of them as a sort of European Carhartt type pant.. I've never been able to figure out what they are/were. Any Europeans want to chime in? What I remember about them is they had little leather arrows/triangles sewn at the corners of the pockets/zippers. Does this ring a bell? If my memory serves me (which occasionally it doesn't).. I bet these would do the trick for your woodland romps.

WeakRider
10-27-2011, 11:44 AM
I've found Outlier's products to be somewhat underwhelming... I don't like the materials they use for their pants, and the quality just isn't there for the price they charge.

Also, Carhartt's are no longer made in the U.S. and surprisingly enough, the quality of their products have taken a crap, too.

I've always been a big fan of Filson's.. though I've only owned shirts and coats.

I'm going to have to vote Arborwear.

What generation Outlier stuff do you have? The new stuff is much better than the older stuff, I've found. Love my Outlier pants.

rain dogs
10-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Dickies 874. cheap, tough, dress em up, dress em down. Blue, Tan, Black, Grey. If you need tougher.... they have tougher.

874 are Made regionally.... the ones in Canada are made in Canada.

They're simple and they work for 98% of the time... they're not perfect, but very good.

beungood
10-27-2011, 02:17 PM
I have some wool Filson Hunting Cargo pants, absolutely bullet proof and warm but you need long johns under them. I have that Tin Cloth Jacket and it is like wearing a straight jacket. Poster above is right very tough and durable.

I am looking for the same thing you are, decent well built tough pants that can move in different environments.

Try www.railriders.com They have many different styles of both Cargo pants, "chinos and Kahakis and many levels of fabric and construction. The Cargos are favored by Special Operations as they are tough wear a long time and dry very quickly. They also have great looking shirts that wick persperation. try hiltons tent city, they always seem to be having sales there and thier prices on railriders are among the lowest around... www.hiltonstentcity.com check sale

FGC
10-27-2011, 08:01 PM
I have a pair of Prana Stretch Zion pants for rock climbing. I've had them for years and a lot vertical feet climbed and they still look great. They're really abrasion resistant and have a some stretch so you can move easily. They're also synthetic so they dry quickly.

nighthawk
10-27-2011, 08:13 PM
What generation Outlier stuff do you have? The new stuff is much better than the older stuff, I've found. Love my Outlier pants.

Not exactly sure. I bought a few different pairs about 2 years ago. The fabric is really stretchy, and just doesn't feel natural at all to me. I'm more into natural fibers anyhow, wools and cottons and what-have-you... I did pick up this really nice wool shirt of theirs, so I shouldn't be so harsh.

beercan
10-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Isnt the oil cloth from filson not breathable at all to you guys? Not really into their products, not really free flOwing in my opinion

slowpoke
10-28-2011, 12:14 AM
^^ You probably just had the 4Season OGs.. the original stuff. It's actually super stretchy and not that durable. The Keirins are better and more durable, but still not something I'd take on multiple backpacking trips given the price. Also, Outliers are going to be cut slimmer, so if you're not on the slim side, I'd go with another brand.

Dickies are always a solid bet and cheap. Yeah, they may not be "specialized" wear, but they get the job done. Sometimes we buy into the hype too much.

HenryA
10-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Might look at Filson bird hunting chaps. You just pull them on over your pants and snap the straps over your belt. That way you can wear whatever pants you want and have protection when wading through a thicket.

http://www.filson.com/products/single-tin-chaps-regular.14021.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=mens/bibs-chaps&fmetaProduct=1011

swPArider
10-30-2011, 06:39 PM
has anybody tried out anything from betabrand? http://www.betabrand.com/

i was checking out their bike to work pants, they look good.

Plum Hill
11-01-2011, 07:41 AM

Some models of Carhart jeans are still made in the US.
One needs a dealer willing to special order them.
They sell for a few bucks more per pair.

Mentioned in another thread - Diamond Gusset.