PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question - What Headset Does My Roubaix Use?

tlarwa
10-25-2011, 08:10 AM
I recently bought a 2009 Roubaix Pro SL, and, having never owned a carbon frameset with an integrated headset prior to this, I'm not sure which headset I'd have to buy if I were to replace it. Can someone tell me exactly what the spec is that I should look for (not a brand, just the style/size).

Thanks,

Tom

eddief
10-25-2011, 08:56 AM
as shown in this PDF.

http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/pdf/manuals/09_Carbon_Road_Frame_2_Instructions.pdf

But I am nearly positive Cane Creek makes a replacement as well. Just not sure which model.

AngryScientist
10-25-2011, 08:59 AM
cane creeks customer service is excellent by the way, if you get in a jam, give them a call, and they'll definitely be able to help with what you need.

cdn_bacon
10-25-2011, 09:07 AM
from a quick search I dug up this...

i just received a specialized frame with integrated system and asked a similar question a few weeks ago. i also called cane creek with the same question. Specialized uses the IS standard from what i've been told and suggested I can choose between the IS-2, IS-6, IS-8.
I didn't call FSA or other companies to confirm campatibility and didn't want to take a chance so I stuck with getting a Cane Creek. I haven't been able to mount it yet since I still have to go to the LBS and have the crown race fitted on the fork. But the sealed bearings seated in the headtube.

or

If you search you'll find that it takes the "cane creek standard" The IS-2 will work. I think the difference between the IS-2 & IS-8 is the top headset cap is the only difference in height & material. You do need to knock out the mindset bearing & retainers, then you can install the IS-2. You may need ot add a 3mm spacer due the mindset bearings being installed deeper into the headtube.

or

Thought I'd update this thread for anyone in the future:

Specailized claims that only their Mindset will work on these frames, but Cane Creek says that that's not true. If you remove the entied headset assembly in the frame so that it's just the bare frame, the Cane Creek IS-2 type headsets will work fine. It might be the case that the top cap will need to be spaced up a little, but other than that, it will work.

What was your final result?

It worked fine!

Here's a step-by-step:

1. Remove bearings and everything you can by hand. You should be left with two black cup things in the head tube (they have holes in them) and a race on the fork.
2. Remove the cups from the head tube. I very carefully used a hammer and screwdriver. I know it's scary, but my standard cup pusher wouldn't work because of the way Specialized forms the headtube. The cups pop out without too much work, but if you're worried about the caveman method, take the frame to a Specialized shop and they can remove them. After the cups are out, the head tube looks like any other integrated head tube.
3. Purchase Cane Creek IS-2 headset (the other cane creek headsets will work fine, I just happened to use the IS-2).
4. Install new race on fork (the old might work, I don't know.).
5. Push bearings into head tube by hand.
6. The Specialized headset was a bit taller on top than the Cane Creek, so I had to use a 3mm spacer above the bearing, but below the top cap. The 3mm is just a regular head tube space that normally goes above the headset.
7. Your done. I've got thousands of miles on my Cane Creek headset in my Roubaix with no issues.

Replacing this headset is no different than any other headset replacement job with the exception of step 6. Good luck.

Just copied and pasted...hope this helps.

rice rocket
10-25-2011, 09:33 AM
For future reference, Cane Creek has a headset finder on their site. It has most of the modern stuff on it.

http://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

tlarwa
10-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Wow .. how did headsets get so complicated :confused: From the Cane Creek headset finder, this is what was suggested:

Based on the information you have provided, your headset falls within the tapered standard and requires:

Top Headset:

SHIS:IS42 - 1-1/8" Italian Integrated (ISi) Threadless

Bottom Headset:

SHIS:IS49/37 - 1-3/8" Integrated (IS)

So, my question now is how does IS42 or IS49/37 compare with IS-2, IS-8, etc.? Or does it? Guess I'll have to do some Googling of my own to figure this out.

Thanks for the tips/leads...

Tom

dave thompson
10-25-2011, 10:33 AM
I've got a Roubaix Pro too and from everything I've heard, the headsets last a very long time.