PDA

View Full Version : You have the following wheels -- which set do you get rid of?

Nooch
10-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Right now I have a few too many wheels (and the wife isn't necessarily pleased..)

So I'm looking to pass one set off to someone who'll be buying my old cross frame, but which ones should I part with?

Mavic Ksyrium Equipes - about 2 years old, probably about 3000 miles on them (currently set up as my back-up cross wheels/cross training wheels)

DT Swiss R1.1's to Ultegra hubs, 32 front and rear, - been using these for races (currently in wheel bags)

Mavic Open Pro (old labels), wheelsmith built, Ultegra hubs, 32 front and rear (use these as all around training wheels)

Now, I'll probably be getting a powertap wheel later on this year (doesn't help my wife) so I'll still have a set of training wheels, racing wheels, back up cross wheels, etc... So which ones do you think you'd sell off?

Lovetoclimb
10-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Depending on how old and worn the rims are, I would part with either of the 32 spoke wheels. Probably the heavier set, since you will be going the Powertap route and that will be heavier than any of the rear wheels you mentioned.

Nooch
10-25-2011, 07:54 AM
Depending on how old and worn the rims are, I would part with either of the 32 spoke wheels. Probably the heavier set, since you will be going the Powertap route and that will be heavier than any of the rear wheels you mentioned.

Both of the 32h sets are in pretty good shape.. I'd say the Open Pro's are older, but they seemed hardly ridden when I bought them. Both sets of 32h's have plenty of life in em.

oldpotatoe
10-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Right now I have a few too many wheels (and the wife isn't necessarily pleased..)

So I'm looking to pass one set off to someone who'll be buying my old cross frame, but which ones should I part with?

Mavic Ksyrium Equipes - about 2 years old, probably about 3000 miles on them (currently set up as my back-up cross wheels/cross training wheels)

DT Swiss R1.1's to Ultegra hubs, 32 front and rear, - been using these for races (currently in wheel bags)

Mavic Open Pro (old labels), wheelsmith built, Ultegra hubs, 32 front and rear (use these as all around training wheels)

Now, I'll probably be getting a powertap wheel later on this year (doesn't help my wife) so I'll still have a set of training wheels, racing wheels, back up cross wheels, etc... So which ones do you think you'd sell off?

Easy, rims wear out, hubs are more important. You have 2 sets with great hubs, that also use non-unique to that wheel spokes and rims. Adios mavic wheels.

christian
10-25-2011, 08:02 AM
CYA, Ksyriums.

merckx
10-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Also, the Mavics may have more resale value.

cmg
10-25-2011, 08:05 AM
of the 3 listed the Mavic Ksyrium Equipes have probably the heaviest rim even though they may not have the heaviest overall weight. the mavic open pros rims will be lighter. the mavic open pro's have the wheelsmith label? a wheelsmith gold label would mean it has dt swiss revolution spokes on the front with a combo of revos on the non drive side and competitions on the drive side. high quality build. Wheelsmith silver label is double butted spokes through out.

Nooch
10-25-2011, 08:08 AM
I'm going to say they're silver wheelsmith labels..

AngryScientist
10-25-2011, 08:12 AM
out of those, i'd probably dump the mavics too.

titans
10-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Buy the Mrs something she loves (bling, clothes, shoes etc) and all will be good :)

Nooch
10-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Oh Titans, now you're keeping tabs on me? :beer:

FlashUNC
10-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Mavics. A thousand times the Mavics.

bicycletricycle
10-25-2011, 08:48 AM
equipes

RedRider
10-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Get rid of all of them! Wheels are too important for safety and ride quality to ride old ones. Get any new pair of HED wheels with the C2 rim, Zipp 101s or Mavic Ksyrium SLs and use one set for everything. All of these wheels are road race weight and stiff yet can be used for cross and winter training. These 3 wheels all have new technology, the first 2 wider rims, that you will appreciate. Enjoy whatever you decide...

oldguy00
10-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Sell the Mavics.
Sell the DT set.
Take apart the Open pro set, have Peter (oldpotatoe) build the hubs up onto new HED C2 rims, and have him build you a new second set onto Powertap hubs and C2 rims.
Cheers :beer:

oldpotatoe
10-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Sell the Mavics.
Sell the DT set.
Take apart the Open pro set, have Peter (oldpotatoe) build the hubs up onto new HED C2 rims, and have him build you a new second set onto Powertap hubs and C2 rims.
Cheers :beer:

Thanks for the pitch but I'd rec Velocity A23..on par but cheaper, mate.

ergott
10-25-2011, 09:08 AM
What's your plan for the Power Tap? The point of racing/training with power is to use the meter on all you rides to collect data. You should consider a Power Tap build that suits racing and training and forget all your other wheels.

Nooch
10-25-2011, 09:12 AM
Get rid of all of them! Wheels are too important for safety and ride quality to ride old ones. Get any new pair of HED wheels with the C2 rim, Zipp 101s or Mavic Ksyrium SLs and use one set for everything. All of these wheels are road race weight and stiff yet can be used for cross and winter training. These 3 wheels all have new technology, the first 2 wider rims, that you will appreciate. Enjoy whatever you decide...

I'm trying to figure out how serious you are... The 1.1's are like 3 years old tops, the OP's, while the older decaling, were in virtually new shape when I bought them.. Besides, one set of wheels across three bikes doesn't work when you've got nowhere to hang the frames -- all bikes need shoes in my apartment..

And I'll stick to my bomb-resistant handbuilts before heading back to a proprietary wheel like the ksyrium sl's...

So I think that's the play, to get rid of the kysriums equipes..

RedRider
10-25-2011, 09:18 AM
What's your plan for the Power Tap? The point of racing/training with power is to use the meter on all you rides to collect data. You should consider a Power Tap build that suits racing and training and forget all your other wheels.

Or get a crank-based powermeter like a Quarq and be free to change wheels whenever you want.

Nooch
10-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Plan for the powertap is a 32h pro+ hub to velocity a23's with an ultegra 32h up front. These will become my primary road wheelset (not worried about power for cx), but I still want one set as a backup, and one set as a back up cx wheelset.

but perhaps I will break down one of the wheelsets and go with another set of a23/ultegra hoops, since OldPotato got me thinking about it..

ergott
10-25-2011, 09:43 AM
but perhaps I will break down one of the wheelsets and go with another set of a23/ultegra hoops, since OldPotato got me thinking about it..

And that right there is the reason to ditch the Ksyriums. Best part of Ultegra hubs is they outlast the rims and you still have options.

-Eric

rice rocket
10-25-2011, 10:03 AM
All of 'em, and build something new.

You only live once, right?

nm87710
10-25-2011, 10:06 AM
So which ones do you think you'd sell off?
:)

fourflys
10-25-2011, 10:12 AM
if you wanted, the Mavics are super easy to set up tubeless for cross since there are no spoke holes... I would get ride of the Open Pros for that reason...

Fixed
10-25-2011, 10:23 AM
i got it right

for once

sell the cheese cutter
cheers

Idris Icabod
10-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Easy question, answer: none. You can never have too many wheels. Just hide a set from your wife and explain to her that with the pitiful amount you made on selling them versus what they cost you you'll take her out for a nice meal to McDonalds, ask her if she knew that the McRib is back.

Nooch
10-25-2011, 10:39 AM
if you wanted, the Mavics are super easy to set up tubeless for cross since there are no spoke holes... I would get ride of the Open Pros for that reason...

Not the equipes -- equipes are entry level with rim tape..

fourflys
10-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Not the equipes -- equipes are entry level with rim tape..

ah, nevermind then... get rid of the Mavics... :D

gavingould
10-25-2011, 12:19 PM
sell the mavics... can probably get a decent $ for them. if they were a nicer pair further up their food chain then maybe i'd argue - i've got a high mileage pair of Ksyrium ES that have been great.

thwart
10-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Problem with this kind of poll is that now you have everyone dumping on those Mavics...

... and you're going to try to sell them... here? :rolleyes:

Hope CraigsList is available where you are.

bobswire
10-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Yeah , get rid of the Open Pros to me. :banana:

Nooch
10-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Problem with this kind of poll is that now you have everyone dumping on those Mavics...

... and you're going to try to sell them... here? :rolleyes:

Hope CraigsList is available where you are.

A buddy of mine is buying my CX frame (as I just replaced it thanks to RacerJRP) and will need wheels, so I was trying to figure out which to sell to him. Pretty sure I mentioned that in the OP...

They're all good wheels for the training and cx purpose, but some are nicer than others :)

clavin
10-26-2011, 11:24 AM
The Mavics have the best resale and should go.

Nooch
10-26-2011, 11:41 AM
apparently my wheelsmith built OP's have gold stickers.. hrm.