PDA

View Full Version : the simplicity of a bicycle

AngryScientist
10-25-2011, 06:19 AM
from someone who loves the raw simplicity of a bicycle, and loathes unnecessary complexity, this image makes me cringe. cringe...

http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/edge2b.jpg

Fixed
10-25-2011, 06:26 AM
another reason to like my singlespeed 29er and my 3 fixies
cheers

ergott
10-25-2011, 06:34 AM
Rode my fixie today too. Simple and stealthy.

I must admit to having some wiring on it as I need lights in the morning. Shame on me. ;)

palincss
10-25-2011, 06:41 AM
Most of us are willing to make exceptions for lighting and instrumentation, because there are no satisfactory mechanical solutions in those two areas. As for the rest, cringe-worthy indeed.

LesMiner
10-25-2011, 06:47 AM
At least they could have used SMT type components. The PTH shown is so 80's.

texbike
10-25-2011, 06:47 AM
another reason to like my singlespeed 29er and my 3 fixies
cheers

Agreed! Simplicity is great. Our 29r SS is used to roll around the neighborhood with the kids and is one of my favorite bikes.

Texbike

BillG
10-25-2011, 07:14 AM
I love my Di2. Cringeworthy until you try it.

oldpotatoe
10-25-2011, 07:42 AM
I love my Di2. Cringeworthy until you try it.

Here we go. I've tried it, sold it, but love to ride my Waterford and Moots, both with downtube, friction shifters on 6 and 7 speed freewheels. Not gonna electrify them anytime soon.

BillG
10-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Here we go. I've tried it, sold it, but love to ride my Waterford and Moots, both with downtube, friction shifters on 6 and 7 speed freewheels. Not gonna electrify them anytime soon.

Different strokes. It's all good.

NRRider
10-25-2011, 07:55 AM
Sorry for being such a noob, but what is that a picture of (I know it's a stem, but what's inside of it)?

avalonracing
10-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Sorry for being such a noob, but what is that a picture of (I know it's a stem, but what's inside of it)?

Doomsday Machine from Star Trek?

Nooch
10-25-2011, 08:35 AM

I think that was the Retro-Grouchiest post I've seen yet! :beer: to you OP!

We'll move so far into the future that they'll be making DI2 downtube shifters... What once was old will be new again!

oldpotatoe
10-25-2011, 09:06 AM
I think that was the Retro-Grouchiest post I've seen yet! :beer: to you OP!

We'll move so far into the future that they'll be making DI2 downtube shifters... What once was old will be new again!

Many thanks. I think I was 'objecting'(really too strong of a word) to the 'when you try it, you will have to switch' concept. Di2 is nothing that a well maintained mechanical system doesn't do, except slower, heavier and more expensively.

vsefiream
10-25-2011, 09:07 AM
At least they could have used SMT type components. The PTH shown is so 80's.
LOL they just want to keep the retro touch while stepping into the 21st century. Through hole - for steel frames SMT - Carbon new fangled frames
LOL

sg8357
10-25-2011, 09:09 AM
[snip friction shifters on 6 and 7 speed freewheels. Not gonna electrify them anytime soon.

What are you using for freewheels ?
How are IRD freewheels these days ?

ergott
10-25-2011, 09:11 AM
Still, if I was flushed with funds, I'd have a bike built up with all that jazz.

oldpotatoe
10-25-2011, 09:12 AM
What are you using for freewheels ?
How are IRD freewheels these days ?

Have a stash of shimano 600 6s(a few) and DA 7s(about 6 left). Best freewheels ever made, IMHO.

I have sold more than a few IRD ones. They are certainly nicer, longer lasting(cogwise) than the uber cheapo shimano, Sunrace type. Nice, decent freewheel. But for the $(about $25) the shimano ones are OK also.

Ti Designs
10-25-2011, 09:14 AM
I have nothing against anything anyone puts on their bike, as long as they can ride. It's when things fail and the pedals stop turning that I have a problem with.

mvrider
10-25-2011, 11:01 AM
The photo came from a blog post about Rob English's approach to integrating Di2 more cleanly into the frame. The results look nice from the outside, though I'm not so excited about cutting holes in stems:

http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2011/10/electronic-shifting-is-here%e2%80%94now-what/

Fixed
10-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Still, if I was flushed with funds, I'd have a bike built up with all that jazz.
long list it would be ...+1
cheers

ergott
10-25-2011, 11:55 AM
The photo came from a blog post about Rob English's approach to integrating Di2 more cleanly into the frame. The results look nice from the outside, though I'm not so excited about cutting holes in stems:

http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2011/10/electronic-shifting-is-here%e2%80%94now-what/

It would be neat if Enve would come up with a stem with molded wire holes similar to how they mold the spoke holes in their rims. I have to admit that this looks real clean.
http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/English1a1.jpg

I just don't like the looks of that frame much. The top tube looks like an afterthought.

gdw
10-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Very clean but a nightmare to build and troubleshoot if things go bad.

Fixed
10-25-2011, 12:00 PM
2nd the clean thing
cheers

ergott
10-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Very clean but a nightmare to build and troubleshoot if things go bad.

If you have the money for the bike you get someone else to do that sort of work ;)

ergott
10-25-2011, 12:03 PM
2nd the clean thing
cheers

Looks like a fixed gear bike with gears :p

AngryScientist
10-25-2011, 12:05 PM
that crankset just doesnt do anything for me.

bfd
10-25-2011, 12:56 PM
that crankset just doesnt do anything for me.

Hey, that's an old Sweet Wings crankset from the 90s. The *original* integrated crank/bb with outboard bearing (OK, one side is outboard) and arguably one of the lightest cranks made in the 90s. According to some, the Sweet Wings crankset weighed 545g (w/o rings and hardware)!

Btw, I have a set on my bike and yes, they are ugly, but light! Good Luck!

Lifelover
10-25-2011, 03:52 PM
from someone who loves the raw simplicity of a bicycle, and loathes unnecessary complexity, this image makes me cringe. cringe...

http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/edge2b.jpg

Have you ever looked at the mechanics of your sti shifters?

Aaron O
10-26-2011, 08:27 AM
I have this internal dilemna, as I suspect many of us do...

On the one hand, like my esteemed colleague, one of the things that attracts me to bicycles is their simplicity. I understand them. I don't need an advanced degree to work on them. I don't need to call a customer support line or IT department when it doesn't work. This is the part of me that likes friction shifters because they're simple, cheap and work FOREVER.

The flip side is that I like things that work and I like improvements. I find Ergo/STI more functional and convenient than DT shifters...enough so that I'll swallow the simplicity/cheap/durability pill. 11sp Campy shifts more smoothly than 6sp, durability be danged.

I really want to see for myself if electronic shifting is a big enough improvement to overcome the simplicity gap. Removing mechanical housings sounds like a plus to me...and I like the idea of smoother shifts. I've yet to meet anyone who has ridden Di2 that isn't a raving fan. Of course after spending $4000+ on it, I doubt they'd be likely to dislike it!

oldpotatoe
10-26-2011, 09:04 AM
I have this internal dilemna, as I suspect many of us do...

On the one hand, like my esteemed colleague, one of the things that attracts me to bicycles is their simplicity. I understand them. I don't need an advanced degree to work on them. I don't need to call a customer support line or IT department when it doesn't work. This is the part of me that likes friction shifters because they're simple, cheap and work FOREVER.

The flip side is that I like things that work and I like improvements. I find Ergo/STI more functional and convenient than DT shifters...enough so that I'll swallow the simplicity/cheap/durability pill. 11sp Campy shifts more smoothly than 6sp, durability be danged.

I really want to see for myself if electronic shifting is a big enough improvement to overcome the simplicity gap. Removing mechanical housings sounds like a plus to me...and I like the idea of smoother shifts. I've yet to meet anyone who has ridden Di2 that isn't a raving fan. Of course after spending $4000+ on it, I doubt they'd be likely to dislike it!

You haven't met me but I'm not a raving fan. It's keen, works well, but slower, heavier and much more expensive than DA mechanical.

Rear shifts are no 'smoother' with Di2, front either if you are using a DA crank.

I could get it at wholesale or below, still really won't do this nor Campagnolo electronic when it comes out.

But as they say, YMMV.

AngryScientist
10-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Have you ever looked at the mechanics of your sti shifters?

i use ergo, and yes.

Dan Le foot
10-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Of course after spending $4000+ on it, I doubt they'd be likely to dislike it!
I agree.
I'm with OP on this one. Technology for technology sake Imho
But as someone said, different strokes for different folks.
Helps the economy.
Dan
BTW. I didn't get Ipad when it came out either. :confused:

bambam
10-26-2011, 09:18 AM
In that picture above of the complete bike:
Is that a quill stem?
Are they making a comback?

On the Electronic dura ace:
I know one rider that needs it because it sound like a train wreck every time they shift. Also, If you just ease up on the pedal pressure then shift isn't it just as smooth? Never tried the new DA but it seems like a solution for people with less working knowledge of the way a bikes work.

Aaron O
10-26-2011, 09:51 AM
I agree.
I'm with OP on this one. Technology for technology sake Imho
But as someone said, different strokes for different folks.
Helps the economy.
Dan
BTW. I didn't get Ipad when it came out either. :confused:

I don't need an iPad at all. I have an iMac, I have an iPhone and the ground between just isn't that critical or large...

Yet - I REALLY WANT AN iPAD AND HAVE TO RESTRAIN MYSELF EVERYTIME I'M NEAR THE APPLE CHURCH. For that one hour a day where I lie down on a couch with my wife while she watches TV and I surf the web on the phone, the iPad would come in handy.

oldpotatoe
10-26-2011, 11:21 AM
I don't need an iPad at all. I have an iMac, I have an iPhone and the ground between just isn't that critical or large...

Yet - I REALLY WANT AN iPAD AND HAVE TO RESTRAIN MYSELF EVERYTIME I'M NEAR THE APPLE CHURCH. For that one hour a day where I lie down on a couch with my wife while she watches TV and I surf the web on the phone, the iPad would come in handy.

Not counting skype, they ought to make the ipad a phone also.

Fixed
10-26-2011, 11:28 AM

kindle fire is coming out i hear i pad mini out soon too @ $200+
cheers

Dan Le foot
10-26-2011, 09:46 PM

Makes me sooo proud to be an old marketing guy, Aaron O. Not about need at all.
Go for it. You deserve it. :hello:
Dan

WickedWheels
10-26-2011, 11:05 PM
I can't wait for the day I get to sell comfort hybrids with electronic shifting to people who haven't been on a bike in 20 years and were intimidated by shifting. I truly think it will help to get people on the road and keeping them on the road... the people that would otherwise be either afraid of shifting a bike or be turned off by the complexity of shifters on the right hand and the left hand.

I know that being afraid of shifting sounds stupid, but I see it all the time.

roydyates
10-27-2011, 06:00 AM
I can't wait for the day I get to sell comfort hybrids with electronic shifting to people who haven't been on a bike in 20 years and were intimidated by shifting. I truly think it will help to get people on the road and keeping them on the road... the people that would otherwise be either afraid of shifting a bike or be turned off by the complexity of shifters on the right hand and the left hand.

I know that being afraid of shifting sounds stupid, but I see it all the time.
So do you teach them to shift or just sell them a beach cruiser or some other single-speed?