PDA

View Full Version : Bike Cleaning

Lovetoclimb
10-24-2011, 02:08 PM
I recently read a wonderful article on the BelgianKneeWarmers blog about bike cleaning. Since then I have been more articulately cleaning and maintaining my bikes, especially as the CX season gets dirtier and more full of races.

One point the article stressed was the preference of natural fiber brushes by most mechanics. It got me thinking that the plastic based home use scrubbers and brushes I use now are not great, and as with many tools, I should be using that which is engineered for the job.

SO I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on good brushes they use, natural fiber or not, that really get down into the hard to reach spots on the bike. Also those that just seem perfect for the job.

Thanks for the help.

Andrewlcox
10-24-2011, 02:16 PM
I have used a natural bristle paint brush before to clean my bike but I keep going back to a cotton rag because it is so flexible to get into the nooks and crannies of the bike.

On a side note, I have been considering an ultrasonic cleaner for the chain and cassette. Totally superfluous but I can imagine it makes it look like new.

Andy

Straz
10-24-2011, 03:08 PM
I recently read a wonderful article on the BelgianKneeWarmers blog about bike cleaning.
Would be interested in reading this article. Do you have a link?

Tim

Bob Ross
10-24-2011, 03:11 PM
On a side note, I have been considering an ultrasonic cleaner for the chain and cassette. Totally superfluous but I can imagine it makes it look like new.

If I had a garage or some type of workspace where I could fling about caustic chemicals with impunity I would totally spring for one of those!

benb
10-24-2011, 03:19 PM
This year I started using the hose.. I just try to keep it away from bearings, but I keep seeing it done on TV, etc.. and it sure saves a ton of time. I use a "mist" setting on the nozzle.

I tend to use the disposable shop rags... I really don't understand the big deal about natural bristle brushes.. the brush either scratches the bike or it doesn't.

Lovetoclimb
10-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Here it is

The Art of the Bike Wash (http://www.belgiumkneewarmers.com/2008/10/the-art-of-the-bike-wash.html)

rnhood
10-24-2011, 04:37 PM
A hose and paint brush has a place when cleaning extra dirty bikes, especialy mountain bikes - but the plain cotton rag is king imho. I buy the Walmart rag group, which is an 18 wash rag bundle for $3, and this gives me 18 cleanings. Works great and my bikes remain in perfect condition. But when the bike is really dirty, I go to the hose and brush.

coylifut
10-24-2011, 04:44 PM
I went to cx worlds a few years back and watched the post race bike cleaning intently. the most important tool of the pro bike mechanic is a gas powered pressure washer. some teams wrapped the bottom bracket and axels in cheap plastic shopping bags. most didn't. it took two minutes per bike and that included a super fast wipe down and lubbing of the chain.

I also saw them build up complete bikes, wrap bars, cut forks... I didn't see one torque wrench the entire time.

Uncle Jam's Army
10-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Assuming you don't have a master link chain, do you clean your chain on the bike and, if so, how?

I just use a citrus degreaser spray on the chain, leaving it on the bike, but it doesn't leave the chain as clean as when I used to break those old Sedisport chains and clean them in the Safety Kleen solvent tub at the bike shop in my college days.

victoryfactory
10-24-2011, 05:21 PM
This year I started using the hose.. I just try to keep it away from bearings, but I keep seeing it done on TV, etc.. and it sure saves a ton of time. I use a "mist" setting on the nozzle.

I tend to use the disposable shop rags... I really don't understand the big deal about natural bristle brushes.. the brush either scratches the bike or it doesn't.

Fear of the hose is overrated. A carryover from the old
days of loose bearings in BB headset and hubs. IMO
I've been hosing every week or so for more than 10
years on my Atlanta and Legend Ti and have never had
a problem.
Degrease, hose off, dry with cotton cloth,
canned air on the deraileurs and chain (a little decadent.
I'd use a compressor if I had one at home)
relube with prolink.
done

godfrey1112000
10-24-2011, 08:51 PM
I have used a natural bristle paint brush before to clean my bike but I keep going back to a cotton rag because it is so flexible to get into the nooks and crannies of the bike.

Andy

LET US ALL KNOW, HOW IT TURNS OUT AND WHAT EXACTLY YOU DID

GREAT IDEA, I AM SURE MY WIFE WILL APPRECIATE IT :bike:

DRietz
10-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Don't use an ultrasonic cleaner on your chain unless you have the ultrasonic lube tank as well.

Ultrasonic cleaners clean chains too well - so much so that they'll get rid of ALL the lube in the chain, and new lube will almost never reach the innermost parts of the rollers/pins.

I work in a shop with a parts cleaner and chains are a no-no.

oldpotatoe
10-25-2011, 08:06 AM
I recently read a wonderful article on the BelgianKneeWarmers blog about bike cleaning. Since then I have been more articulately cleaning and maintaining my bikes, especially as the CX season gets dirtier and more full of races.

One point the article stressed was the preference of natural fiber brushes by most mechanics. It got me thinking that the plastic based home use scrubbers and brushes I use now are not great, and as with many tools, I should be using that which is engineered for the job.

SO I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on good brushes they use, natural fiber or not, that really get down into the hard to reach spots on the bike. Also those that just seem perfect for the job.

Thanks for the help.

Not for cross but pan of diesel and stencil brush..good enough for this guy.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ktTXjSqvJc

Chad Engle
10-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Fear of the hose is overrated. A carryover from the old
days of loose bearings in BB headset and hubs. IMO
I've been hosing every week or so for more than 10
years on my Atlanta and Legend Ti and have never had
a problem.
Degrease, hose off, dry with cotton cloth,
canned air on the deraileurs and chain (a little decadent.
I'd use a compressor if I had one at home)
relube with prolink.
done

Ditto, but I use my leaf blower with a reducer on the end to air dry the drive train and other difficult to reach places. The neighbors think I'm a wack job blow drying my bicycle though.

AngryScientist
10-25-2011, 10:10 AM
i always resort to a rag myself. soaked in water to wipe off the big stuff, then another cleaner rag to finish it off. rags are good becuase you can use the "floss method" getting into all the hard to reach spots, IMO.

benb
10-25-2011, 10:39 AM
I think the article has convinced me to look for some good natural brushes.. I can totally agree the plastic ones "trap" the grime and become less useful since you can't clean it off the brush.

The cone shaped prush for hitting the wheels looks particularly time saving..

GRAVELBIKE
10-25-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm currently writing an article on preventative winter maintenance, and more than one of the industry folks I've interviewed have recommended a bucket of hot, soapy water.

oldpotatoe
10-25-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm currently writing an article on preventative winter maintenance, and more than one of the industry folks I've interviewed have recommended a bucket of hot, soapy water.

from the republic, do I know ya?

GRAVELBIKE
10-25-2011, 11:38 AM
from the republic, do I know ya?

Probably not. You guys have helped me out a couple of times, but I'm not a regular (wife would say I need more fiber). Love your shop, though.

gdw
10-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Interesting thread and hopefully one which will be read by the Rapha marketing department. The road cycling community needs a $250 kit to clean their steed after an epic trip to and from the local coffee shop. :banana:

Lovetoclimb
10-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Only if the brushes have yak hair fibers from sustainable village farms at the base of Karakoram. A Paul Smith designed bucket would also be a nice touch.