PDA

View Full Version : Riding in Jackson Hole, WY

Russ
07-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Can you share your expereince of Riding in the Jackson Hole, Wy area?

I am comtemplating going to the Bozeman gathering, but I would have to fly via Jackson Hole. I would stay here a couple of nights to look around, but I would also like to ride a bit if possible...

Thanks!

Doc Hollywood
07-24-2005, 04:25 PM
I have been to the J'Hole area many times and can tell you the town of Jackson sits in a valley between several mountain areas. I have never ridden in Jackson Hole area, but have ridden in Yellowstone.

I think that riding would be awesome there especially between Grand Teton NP (NorthEnd) and Jackson. It's roughly 30 miles or so one way on relativley flat roads. However, in the summer, lots of RV/Car traffic going to from Yellowstone. Take Rt 26/US 89 out of town. It can be very windy though.

Another option is to head south/west out of Jackson on Rt 22 through Wilson over Teton Pass. This is a ballbuster climb. Continue to Victor or further to Driggs for more mileage (Near Grand Targhee Ski Area). Coming back is a screaming ride once to the top of the pass.

Another pretty loop is to ride from Jackson to Teton Village and then north along Rt 390 to Teton Park Road. Virtually no traffic and in and out of dense forest, horese ranches, and prairie. If I recall it has some gravel/dirt sections, so a road bike with cross tires or a hybrid bike would be okay. Teton Park Road goes for al the way to South Jenny Lake in Teton NP.

Remember, none of these routes has a lot of, if any, services on them, so you need to have plenty of food/liquids, bike repair kit stuff, etc.

Have fun.

Doc

Tailwinds
07-24-2005, 05:03 PM
We'll be heading up to the Gd'B from Denver and hope to spend some extra time exploring on the way there or back. Anyone have any recommendations for some good cycling routes along the way? I'm wondering if riding in Yellowstone would be even remotely possible... maybe very early on a weekday morning?

eddief
07-24-2005, 05:32 PM
West Yellowstone, Hebgen Lake, Quake Lake, Reynolds Pass, Henrys Lake, back to West Yellowstone. Could be 60-75 miles. Socks could get knocked off by wind, utter incredible beauty or both. Not too steep. About 90 degrees last week.

The valley that follows the Galletin River out of Bozeman would make a great ride too.

Bradford
07-24-2005, 08:02 PM
I'm wondering if riding in Yellowstone would be even remotely possible...

I've ridden through Yellowstone on a tour and I thought it was great riding, with the exception of the stretch between the Madison camp ground and Old Faithful. That section was full of RVs, cars, and bison, and no one was looking at me. One guy almost pushed me right into a bison.

If I were you, I’d ride in the other sections. Just make sure you wear bright colors and look out for the RVs. Those mirrors stick way out and most people don’t drive RVs enough to realize how far. And regardless of all the pro and con arguments you read on this site, wear a helmet. A ranger told me that many of the most serious accidents in the park happen when an RV side mirror whacks a cyclist in the head.

As for the other riding, I highly recommend climbing up Togwotte pass. It is a great ride. I did it with 65 pounds of gear in my panniers, but I’m sure you’ll enjoy it without the weight. :D It is 55 miles from Moran Junction to Dubois (on the other side of the pass), so you could leave from Coulter Bay, Jenny Lake, or even Jackson and ride over the pass. If you could have someone meet you in Dubois, it would be a nice ride. If you are on you own, you could just park at Coulter Bay or Moran Junction and do an up and back. You haven’t ridden until you have climbed a Rocky Mountain pass.

Another ride I did that I really liked was from Old Faithful to the south park boundary (on the way to Jackson). I did it in late June and there was still snow on the passes, so make sure you bring some arm and leg warmers if you do it, especially early or late (I did it really late, we got to the campground outside the park at about 9:00, and I was freezing). If you do this ride, will go over the continental divide 3 times, and that is cool stuff.

By the way, I’ll be in the park with my family from August 27th to September 5th. I really wanted to swing my the Kirkworks for the GdB, but it just won't work with my wife, in-laws and mom. I’ll keep my eye out for someone one a Serotta.

Tailwinds
07-24-2005, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. This will add a new dimension to our trip. We're really looking forward to checking out another part of the Rockies.

Bradford, keep an eye out for my orange Kirk. I should have it painted, delivered, and built up just in time for the trip. :D