PDA

View Full Version : fender fitment

shankldu
10-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Which brand works best for older steel frames which have no mounting holes etc.

FlashUNC
10-24-2011, 12:44 PM
SKS Race Blades.

slowpoke
10-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Race Blades are the most convenient to get on and off, and durable (mine have lasted two winters), however if you don't mind a little bit more work, I also really like the Crud Catcher Road Racers (http://www.crudproducts.com/products/roadracer/) because they offer significantly more coverage. However, you might have clearance issues with the brake bridge area. Last winter, I had a Race Blade for the front and a Crud Catcher Road Racer in the rear and it worked splendidly.

And supposedly SKS is coming out with the "Race Blade Long," but I haven't seen any shops stocking it.

dan682
10-24-2011, 04:48 PM
I just installed the Cruds on my old Merlin and they fit with a fraction of a mm clearance and work great. The instructions say if you can fit a 4mm hex wrench between the brake and the tire they will work and mine had exactly that much clearance. I don't think they'd work with tires bigger than a 23 though.

oldpotatoe
10-24-2011, 05:22 PM
SKS Race Blades.

Or PlanetBike Quick-on..they also adjust, struts into the fenders, like full sized fenders.

JLP
10-24-2011, 06:46 PM
http://rivercitybicycles.com/product/reacharound-fender-brackets-737.htm

Or use full length fenders and these. With a mudflap.

ultratoad
10-24-2011, 08:03 PM
I know a lot of guys seem to like the Roadracer 2's (by Crud Catchers) and I purchased a pair. I was able to set them up nicely (apprearance/clearance) with some effort, BUT their function is very poor. They are very flimsey (shake rattle and roll) and get knocked out of alignment (rub) very easily. I took them off after one ride.

SKS is coming out with "Raceblade Long" very shortly and they look like the true answer to racing frames. Check out the video at www.Road.cc, they are not available yet as far as I can tell....

BobbyJones
10-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Which brand works best for older steel frames which have no mounting holes etc.

If you have the clearance but no holes just use p-clamps and normal fenders.

russ46
10-25-2011, 11:35 AM
+ 1 for Crud Catchers. Just use the rear w/25 Coni's. Put it on last winter & never bothered taking it off.

ergott
10-25-2011, 12:08 PM
And supposedly SKS is coming out with the "Race Blade Long," but I haven't seen any shops stocking it.

Their site say availability will be January 2012. Looks promising.