PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Leg Warmers

kgrooney
10-24-2011, 09:48 AM
This weekend I went on a three hour ride with shorts and legwarmers. Approximately half way through the ride I began to notice my shorts riding up and the warmers falling down.

The shorts are Assos (approximatley one year old) and the warmers, also Assos, brand new.

Does anyone else have these issues? It seems as if the shorts grippers slid on the smoooth fabric of the warmers underneath.

Thanks.

dekindy
10-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Did you walk around during the ride? They always slide down then and you have to pull them up. Otherwise they might slide some during the ride but not enough to require a stop just to pull them up.

You have to pull them up as high as you can and then flex your leg to relieve the tension.

EDS
10-24-2011, 10:36 AM
I am guessing your leg warmers might be too big.

Fixed
10-24-2011, 10:40 AM
inside your shorts?
pull them as far up as you can
maybe time for new ones
cheers
i use knee warmers my calf help keep them up

JLP
10-24-2011, 11:56 AM
I put a light strip of clear silicone around the top to create grippers.

Autobutcher
10-24-2011, 11:58 AM
This is exactly why I bought knickers.

pdmtong
10-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Shockingly, the only warmers I have tried that do NOT fall down are the Rapha ones. I know I know. Really? Yes, really. I was just as surprised as you probably are to read this. This assumes of course they are the right size.

veloduffer
10-24-2011, 12:10 PM
This weekend I went on a three hour ride with shorts and legwarmers. Approximately half way through the ride I began to notice my shorts riding up and the warmers falling down.

The shorts are Assos (approximatley one year old) and the warmers, also Assos, brand new.

Does anyone else have these issues? It seems as if the shorts grippers slid on the smoooth fabric of the warmers underneath.

Thanks.

You need bigger legs.. :p :D

Seriously, some brands are better than others at gripping. As as they age, they can stretch and the silicone becomes less grippy. That said, I've had very goo experience with my Pearl Izumi, some of which are over 10 yrs old.

shankldu
10-24-2011, 12:13 PM
yea knickes are longer with drawcords and the liner has grippers ,and as th other member suggested your warmers r prob to bigg get a size smaller so that the r tight and dontslipp down.

flydhest
10-24-2011, 12:37 PM
donuts. lots of them.

FlashUNC
10-24-2011, 12:41 PM
You need bigger legs.. :p :D

Seriously, some brands are better than others at gripping. As as they age, they can stretch and the silicone becomes less grippy. That said, I've had very goo experience with my Pearl Izumi, some of which are over 10 yrs old.

+1.
Own Pearl Izumi arm and knee warmers, and don't have any problems with them sliding. Assuming they're the right size, are you wearing them on in a way that allows them to flex a bit as your leg moves?

Ozz
10-24-2011, 12:45 PM
i picked up a pair of Pearl Izumi arm warmers a couple months ago and was really impressed with the quality...good ergo shape, well fitting, durable grippers, and even embroidered "L" and "R" on them to designate left and right....I am pretty happy with them.

FGC
10-24-2011, 01:19 PM
I've had nothing but problems with bib shorts with silicone leg grippers on warmers until I got the wool warmers from DeFeet. They're the only ones that keep my bib legs from sliding up.

Why did most companies switch from the rubber gripper to silicone? I think it's a step backwards.

CunegoFan
10-24-2011, 01:28 PM
I've had nothing but problems with bib shorts with silicone leg grippers on warmers until I got the wool warmers from DeFeet. They're the only ones that keep my bib legs from sliding up.

Why did most companies switch from the rubber gripper to silicone? I think it's a step backwards.
I have never liked any rubber or silicon grippers. As the stuff ages, it doesn't work for crap.

I like thick lycra with a heavy duty hem.

tannhauser
10-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Clothespins.

1centaur
10-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Something that works well if your legs are short enough - get warmers that are too long, then fold them over at the top so the top grippers are faced out.

EDS
10-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Hincapie warmers have a silicone gripper on both the inside and outside. Probably overkill, but maybe helpful if needed.

rice rocket
10-24-2011, 02:11 PM
My Castelli nanoflex warmers have double sided grips as well.

I sized up w/ the Castellis because I heard they lose their waterproof-ness if you stretch the fabric too far, but now it slides down sometimes. I found that bunching it up above the knee seemed to help some (to give it less stretch up top).

67-59
10-24-2011, 02:19 PM
I've had good luck with the Specialized knee warmers. Pearl Izumi are OK too, but IMHO don't grip quite as well as Specialized. Looking to replace an old pair of Pearl arm warmers, and there's no question I'll go with Specialized.

BumbleBeeDave
10-24-2011, 03:01 PM
I am guessing your leg warmers might be too big.

. . . your legs are too small!

Seriously, I've had this problem with a couple of sets of KNEE warmers, but never whole leg warmers.

BBD

zap
10-24-2011, 03:53 PM

Thanks.

No.

I don't wear leg warmers, only knee warmers from REI.

coylifut
10-24-2011, 04:49 PM
I second what FGC wrote. The wood DeFeat ones anchor the bibs to the warmers.

jlwdm
10-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Same problem as OP. I have used Capo knee warmers for almost 4 years and they are great. I bought the Assos, used them twice, and dumped them on the forum. They would not stay up.

I have read similar reports from others about the Assos.

I like other Assos products a lot -I have more F1 Unos than any other bib short.

Jeff

Sorry, correction. I was talking knee warmers not leg warmers. Edited my post.

aosty
10-24-2011, 06:09 PM
I put a light strip of clear silicone around the top to create grippers.

As in.... RTV silicone?

swt
10-24-2011, 07:30 PM
I second what FGC wrote. The wood DeFeat ones anchor the bibs to the warmers.
+1 DeFeat wool. -1 DeFeat wood.
For me it's bare -> DeFeat wool -> Windstopper frogman suit.

Marcy
10-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Another vote for DeFeet wool leg warmers (and arm warmers) -- they stay put, are nice and warm but not too hot -- perfect.

93legendti
10-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Another vote for DeFeet wool leg warmers (and arm warmers) -- they stay put, are nice and warm but not too hot -- perfect.
I aslo have a set of the DeFeet wool arm and knee warmers, they must be 5 years old. And they are perfect. The non-wool are also very good, but i like the wool ones better.

aosty
10-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Another vote for Defeet knee warmers... super cozy and very long (plenty of overlap with your shorts legs).

Thread detour... Swiftwick arm warmers rock!

skreaminquadz
10-24-2011, 07:48 PM
This is exactly why I bought knickers.

Agreed. I've tried several knee/leg warmers and they all start to fall after a short period of time. I love knickers for this reason.

Johny
10-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Ibex and Rapha make great warmers.

roydyates
10-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Assos leg warmers are very nice but they do run big. I'm almost 6'2", 200 lbs and my legs are pretty long (34-35 inches), and the larger of the two sizes is almost too big. When I pull them up to remove any sag, they're only about 2 inches from the top of my thigh.

JLP
10-25-2011, 01:15 AM
As in.... RTV silicone?

I think so. I can look tomorrow. Clear stuff from the hardware store that stays flexible. Works like a charm on wool or synthetic. Inside and outside if needed.

oldpotatoe
10-25-2011, 07:59 AM
Clothespins.

Garters.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/hanky-panky-garter-set/3069824?cm_cat=datafeed&cm_ite=hanky_panky_garter_set:281417&cm_pla=underwear/lingerie:women:garter&cm_ven=Froogle&mr:referralID=NA&mr:trackingCode=6D9E13E0-C5D7-DF11-8F9A-001B2163195C

Birddog
10-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Yet another +1 for DeFeet Kneekers. I have the wool model, they are plenty long and I've never had the "granny in the nursing home" look.

bfd
10-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Another wool option that works well for me is Kucharik wool leg warmers:

http://www.kucharikclothing.com/leg-warmers-wool-blend-p-298.html

Works very well, warm, no slippage, reasonably priced and Made in America! What's not to like?! Good Luck!