PDA

View Full Version : Your last bike.

Spinz
10-23-2011, 07:03 AM
As we all age and our bodies morph into that something else how do you envision your very last bicycle purchase? For me its still along way out, however to come full circle I think it will be a light weight steel frame. Lp

soulspinner
10-23-2011, 07:17 AM
At 55, these things creep into my thoughts. Im thinkin a comfy ti bike to ride into retirement(mileage doubles!)...............

oldpotatoe
10-23-2011, 07:38 AM
As we all age and our bodies morph into that something else how do you envision your very last bicycle purchase? For me its still along way out, however to come full circle I think it will be a light weight steel frame. Lp

Saw an interview with some 'older' woman, she was asked about her age, etc. She said she was 'on her next to last dog'.

I think I have my last bicycle, a Merckx MXLeader.

Fixed
10-23-2011, 08:17 AM
i would hate to think it was a soma
cheers

CNY rider
10-23-2011, 08:19 AM
In my mind's eye it says Weigle on the downtube.

Andrewlcox
10-23-2011, 08:32 AM
At 55, these things creep into my thoughts. Im thinkin a comfy ti bike to ride into retirement(mileage doubles!)...............

+1, me too and I'm 38 but they say titanium lasts a long time.

Andy

Ti Designs
10-23-2011, 09:26 AM
What's wrong with what I'm riding now?

bobswire
10-23-2011, 09:40 AM
What's wrong with what I'm riding now?

Bingo, I'm 66 and riding a Merlin EL, Cervelo Prodigy and Schwinn 60th Paramount.
All agile.lively rides. Maybe when I'm in my late 70's I'll want something less
lively though I doubt it.

Ray
10-23-2011, 09:46 AM
I'm only 52 but I'm pretty damn sure one of my two Spectrum ti frames is gonna be it for me. For a long time it was the more aggressive of the two, but now I have a chronic shoulder condition that makes that one kind of painful to ride and the more laid back, almost sport tourer of the two, with S&S couplers, is my bike of choice nearly every ride. I can't see why I'd ever replace it. I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna get MORE hard core in the future years - hope to just maintain a decent level of fitness for another 20-30 years and then hope I can still ride upright if I'm lucky enough to be around.

-Ray

avalonracing
10-23-2011, 09:53 AM
I never plan to have a "last bike". I hope to keep on riding and being excited about new bikes until I ride off a cliff many, many years from now... (That bike will be my last bike).

eltonbalch
10-23-2011, 10:06 AM
Bingo, I'm 66 and riding a Merlin EL, Cervelo Prodigy and Schwinn 60th Paramount.
All agile.lively rides. Maybe when I'm in my late 70's I'll want something less
lively though I doubt it.

I'm 66 as well and I have discovered that as I grow older I become younger :cool: . I'm currently riding a Serotta HSG and a Trek Madone but I think I'm a long way from my last bike.

christian
10-23-2011, 10:16 AM
I think I have my last bicycle, a Merckx MXLeader.This. I have a lot of other bikes, but my MX Leader will hang with me to the end.

biker72
10-23-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm going to see how long my Serotta titanium lasts. Maybe an upgrade to 10 speed in the future.

I'm only 73...I haven't bought my last bike yet.

don compton
10-23-2011, 10:22 AM
My current "last bike" is my Riv Roadeo. Even with my crappy, arthritic back, I can find a comfortable position on this bike. And, with the old man's quill stem, if I have to, I can easily adjust the stem height on any ride. Also, the Roadeo's handling is just perfect for me. :beer:

Fixed
10-23-2011, 10:23 AM
my canadian made miele fixed and merckx corsa 753 reynolds .
they will last longer than me
cheers

Ken Robb
10-23-2011, 02:22 PM
It might be a mixte if I can no longer throw a leg over my saddle. :beer:

ggross
10-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Can you say RICHARD SACHS. Nothing compares.

Fixed
10-23-2011, 02:47 PM
It might be a mixte if I can no longer throw a leg over my saddle. :beer:
i may need a 3 wheeled bike soon ,
i am serious :beer:
cheers

cmg
10-23-2011, 03:13 PM
not so sure about my last bike but i have a serotta Coeur d' acier to put a campy mix on. maybe another fork. after i sell the parts that are left over i may do a custom TI with the idea that i'll sell some of the others to make up for what's been spent. or not. but the Serotta is up next. parts will arrive over the next 2 weeks. very cool.

tannhauser
10-23-2011, 03:29 PM
To pronounce it as such is foolish. Bodies change, life intervenes, fit changes.

Just enjoy what you're on.

SamIAm
10-23-2011, 03:33 PM
As of now my last bike is looking like a Weigle, Bedford, Goodrich or Sachs. All of which I already own, but are also on order. Can't see myself ordering anything else, but if I did it would be a Hampsten or Spectrum.

BillG
10-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Can't see myself ordering anything else, but if I did it would be a Hampsten or Spectrum.

By which you mean "Next I will order a Hampsten and a Spectrum" :beer:

Fixed
10-23-2011, 03:36 PM
nice stable
cheers

SamIAm
10-23-2011, 03:42 PM
By which you mean "Next I will order a Hampsten and a Spectrum" :beer:
Guilty as charged!

pjmsj21
10-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Assuming they dont get more expensive than they are, at 61, I could easily be very satisfied with an Ottrott or then there is the Bedford ti to think about.

northbend
10-23-2011, 04:01 PM
My last bike will be the one I have owned now for 30 years.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj140/northbend/P1020163.jpg
I never get tired of riding it. It has been updated recently with new paint and a drivetrain that is much easier on the legs.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj140/northbend/P1020930.jpg
The T/A crank and modified long cage Super Record Derailluer gives me a great compact gearing setup.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj140/northbend/P1020501.jpg

Fixed
10-23-2011, 04:03 PM
amazing 30 years what an investment
beautiful
bruce gordon
cheers

FlashUNC
10-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Assuming he's still putting tubes together, I'd imagine it would be a Kirk in some form.

Kontact
10-23-2011, 04:20 PM
I'd like to think that the last couple of bikes I'll ride are ones I've built myself.

Of course, if I do a poor job, the reason that they'll be the last bikes might not be old age. ;)

tuscanyswe
10-23-2011, 04:43 PM
I'd like to think that the last couple of bikes I'll ride are ones I've built myself.

Of course, if I do a poor job, the reason that they'll be the last bikes might not be old age. ;)

:)

Id love to build a bike for myself one day. But i can hardly decide on bartapes so i can c a project like building a custom steel bike taking awhile..

That bruce gordon looks sweet, the kinda bike i c myself growing old on!

Mike748
10-23-2011, 05:16 PM
If I planned correctly it's my recently received new Kirk. I'll tell you for sure in 30 years.

charliedid
10-23-2011, 07:14 PM
[QUOTE=northbend]My last bike will be the one I have owned now for 30 years.

I never get tired of riding it. It has been updated recently with new paint and a drivetrain that is much easier on the legs.

The T/A crank and modified long cage Super Record Derailluer gives me a great compact gearing setup.

+1 love that bike

AngryScientist
10-23-2011, 07:44 PM
i dont buy into the concept of a "last bike" or even a "forever" bike. all it takes is one silly crash, roof rack incident, or home theft to end a bicycle. i'll be happy if i always have the good fortune to have a well made, good fitting bike under me, but i won't count anything i ever buy as my last, too many variables for that.

AngryScientist
10-23-2011, 07:45 PM
if you're going to keep a bike forever, at least get some stainless steel hardware... :D :D

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj140/northbend/P1020163.jpg

troymac
10-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Some one else will own my last bike so I hope its a good one :banana:

hiljentaa
10-23-2011, 10:56 PM
I'd like to give frame building a go at some point. Must be satisfying to ride something you built yourself.

pdmtong
10-24-2011, 12:54 AM
the bike I'll have in the very end is coming soon...lugged road vanilla

William
10-24-2011, 07:47 AM
As we all age and our bodies morph into that something else how do you envision your very last bicycle purchase?

http://cache.wists.com/thumbnails/4/9f/49f03616d7154802a6617a7418341eb1-orig

William
10-24-2011, 07:47 AM

jr59
10-24-2011, 08:35 AM
I'm only 52 but I'm pretty damn sure one of my two Spectrum ti frames is gonna be it for me. For a long time it was the more aggressive of the two, but now I have a chronic shoulder condition that makes that one kind of painful to ride and the more laid back, almost sport tourer of the two, with S&S couplers, is my bike of choice nearly every ride. I can't see why I'd ever replace it. I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna get MORE hard core in the future years - hope to just maintain a decent level of fitness for another 20-30 years and then hope I can still ride upright if I'm lucky enough to be around.

-Ray

I'm pretty much with you on this. @ the same age as you I really do understand.
Except I only have one Ti Spectrum :crap: , oh well, I have more than a few other nice bikes.

SamIam is my new hero!!! He has more than a few nice rides.

Maybe I will get Tom to build me something else..

Seems I have said this is my last bike more than one time. :cool:

Chance
10-24-2011, 09:39 AM
i dont buy into the concept of a "last bike" or even a "forever" bike. all it takes is one silly crash, roof rack incident, or home theft to end a bicycle. i'll be happy if i always have the good fortune to have a well made, good fitting bike under me, but i won't count anything i ever buy as my last, too many variables for that.
Yeah, there is that, and also that upgrading or replacing parts may get harder in 20 or 30 years if designs change enough.

Little things like a 25 year old bike today is harder to service (unless upgraded) which becomes annoying and time consuming. And a full upgrade may cost more than replacing the whole thing with a new bike that is better in many ways. No doubt many bikes (mostly the frameset) are durable enough to ride an entire lifetime but new and different can be nice too.

Chance
10-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Not steel but envision other changes.

It’s a given that without knowing what life holds for us it’s hard to predict. It’s also hard to predict what changes the bike industry will make in the next 5 years and even more so in the next 50. Much depends on how close we are to our last ride. :(

If one assumes that we are not that different from most riders that came before us then it’s safe to assume it will involve a less aggressive design with a more upright position, longer wheelbase, more stable steering, much lower gearing, fatter tires and wider saddle. Maybe a rear basket to fetch groceries when we can no longer drive.

And lots of compliance for the old back.

alastair
10-24-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm fortunate enough to already have a Pegoretti and a McClung, so I feel I've eliminated any real "need" for another bike. With that said, I have a feeling a few more will come into the picture before all my old jerseys get put away with mothballs. There will probably be a geared, titanium, 29er hardtail. For when I just can't get the rigid, singlespeed McClung up the hills anymore: Or just don't feel like it.

dekindy
10-24-2011, 10:02 AM
Old people have the same needs and wants as young people and if they have the money they act on them. Nothing changes until you are no longer mobile or die. Don't you know that? :eek:

rpm
10-24-2011, 10:03 AM
At age 65, I have my last bikes--a short wheelbase Strong ti, and a longer wheelbase Serotta CDA. If calamity should strike (to my bikes, not me) I would go to the barn for a Spectrum ti, and I would stay local for an Anderson 953 and an Appleman custom carbon fiber.

sailorboy
10-24-2011, 10:05 AM
SACHS...only decisions to be made are color and which lugs

Wilkinson4
10-24-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm fortunate enough to already have a Pegoretti and a McClung,

We need McClung pics!!! Well, when I turn 50 I hope to have another Toei and that could be the last one built for me.

mIKE

Bob Ross
10-24-2011, 10:30 AM
I never plan to have a "last bike". I hope to keep on riding and being excited about new bikes until I ride off a cliff many, many years from now... (That bike will be my last bike).

^^^This.

I don't doubt that my Carl Strong steel road bike will outlast me. But that doesn't mean it will be my last!

jr59
10-24-2011, 11:40 AM
SACHS...only decisions to be made are color and which lugs

Which lugs, maybe.

But RS come in any color you want, as long as it's red!! :banana:

palincss
10-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Little things like a 25 year old bike today is harder to service (unless upgraded) which becomes annoying and time consuming.

In what way is a 25 year old bike harder to service than a new one? Going over the usual list of items in need of routine service I see:

- headset - 1" threaded headsets and bearings are still readily available, and greasing & repacking bearings is no different today than it was in 1986
- tires & tubes - as available today as in 1986
- chain - modern SRAM PC870 works fine with 5-8 spd, according to Harris
- freewheel or cassette - 126mm spacing ruled the day in 1986. 7 speed cassettes fit a 126 hub, and they are widely available today. So, too, are 5, 6 and 7 speed freewheels.
- brake pads - available
- cables and housings - better now than ever before, and they all fit
- bar wrap - all widely available
- bottom bracket bearings - still available

So where does this alleged difficulty in servicing come from?

Bob Ross
10-24-2011, 03:17 PM

Guess you haven't leafed through these 10 pages:
http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f11/other-than-red-richard-sachs-frame-thread-3621.html

I'm still 1 or 2 years away from my name coming up in eRichie's queue, and I'm just starting to agonize about the color thing. For the first few years I was positive I knew what I wanted...but sure enough, given enough time anyone will change their mind about anything!

Fixed
10-24-2011, 03:22 PM
bob amazing
bikes beautiful all
thanks cheers

sailorboy
10-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Which lugs, maybe.

Yea, I think if you're nice...and interesting, you can get something else. Pending e-richie approval of course.

Still a strong attraction to his signature color, but might want it to be a little different from the rest.

BobbyJones
10-24-2011, 10:18 PM
i would hate to think it was a soma
cheers

I got news for ya..put different decals on my soma and you may very well be fooled to thinking its something else worth keeping forever.

jlwdm
10-24-2011, 10:42 PM
At 60 I got my first custom -Serotta Nove. Then picked up a CSI. Finally a Custom Spectrum ti road bike with room for larger tires and fenders.

At 64 I have no desire for a new bike, but I guess that could change.

Jeff

Aaron O
10-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Between the Koga Miyata and Marnati, I'll never need another bike. I might want other bikes, I may ride and buy other bikes, but I'll never need another bike.

Chance
10-25-2011, 08:54 AM
In what way is a 25 year old bike harder to service than a new one?
Harder can mean more difficult or time consuming. Sure, you can buy anything for an old bike and maintain it just fine but it will take more planning or effort to keep it running versus a newer bike. It’s much the same as keeping a classic car running. If you think 5, 6, or 7 speed freewheels are as available and as easy to buy as a 10-speed cassette you are not going to change your mind about this at all.

And if you also think that having 100/130 wheel spacing doesn’t make life easier, or that seals haven’t improved, or that threadless is easier to install and adjust with fewer tools then we won’t be agreeing on much here. You are entitled to a different opinion and that’s completely OK. Somebody out there keeps 1953 MGs running. And many probably think it’s easy too.

palincss
10-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Harder can mean more difficult or time consuming. Sure, you can buy anything for an old bike and maintain it just fine but it will take more planning or effort to keep it running versus a newer bike. It’s much the same as keeping a classic car running. If you think 5, 6, or 7 speed freewheels are as available and as easy to buy as a 10-speed cassette you are not going to change your mind about this at all.

It's hardly the same. You can't even get gasoline for a classic car, never mind parts. There's no difficulty whatever getting replacement parts for most bicycles. 7 speed cassettes are as easy to get as 9 and 10 speed cassettes. Find the appropriate page in your supplier's web site, click on the one you want. To save myself time when it's necessary to change chains and cassettes, I keep some on the shelf in my basement.

Freewheels are available, but not with the range of gears to suit my fancy, which is why I no longer use them. But yes, 7 speed freewheels are available as current production items.

And if you also think that having 100/130 wheel spacing doesn’t make life easier, or that seals haven’t improved, or that threadless is easier to install and adjust with fewer tools then we won’t be agreeing on much here. You are entitled to a different opinion and that’s completely OK. Somebody out there keeps 1953 MGs running. And many probably think it’s easy too.

Whether threadless is easier to install and adjust is irrelevant to a discussion about it becoming increasingly difficult to maintain a 25 year old bike. Threaded headsets are today what they were 25 years ago, no easier and no harder to maintain. But unlike parts for 1953 MGs, current production replacement parts are readily available for a 25 year old bike.

What's more, 25 year old bicycles had 100mm front wheel spacing; and if 127's too problematical to contemplate, it's no big deal to spread a steel rear triangle from 127 to 130, and I wouldn't consider having that done to be "upgrading" in the sense you originally mentioned. Spread that triangle to 130, and there's absolutely no difference whatsoever in maintaining that 25 year old bicycle and the one I got from Mitch Pryor this July.

Ti Designs
10-25-2011, 05:00 PM
It's hardly the same. You can't even get gasoline for a classic car, never mind parts. There's no difficulty whatever getting replacement parts for most bicycles. 7 speed cassettes are as easy to get as 9 and 10 speed cassettes.

Are we talking original quality or the junk that's still around? I can find dozens of 10-speed STI shifters around here, Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105. There's still a 9-speed set of Dura-Ace levers hidden away, other than that we order what's still available. I still have a vintage bike which runs a Regina CX-S chain and cassette - good luck ever finding those again. No, ebay doesn't count in this argument, it's a bunch of one time sales, not in stock items.

gomango
10-25-2011, 06:29 PM
There are several bicycles I will try in the next decade or so.

A Terraplane, a Marnati, and heck, maybe even a Chris Bishop.

The one that will stay forever will be my Chris Kvale though.

Simply one of the finest in craftsmanship, and the ride quality is just to my liking.

Additionally, his wait time is manageable, and I could see one last new frameset from him on my build line just for grins.

Fixed
10-25-2011, 07:29 PM
I got news for ya..put different decals on my soma and you may very well be fooled to thinking its something else worth keeping forever.
mine is a rush
cheers

clavin
10-26-2011, 11:30 AM
There can never be a last bike just a next bike. Variety is the spice of life.

rustychain
10-26-2011, 11:08 PM
At 56 unless my current bike gets distroyed and I don't it will be my last bike. Like the OP I went for a light steel (953 stainless steel). I'm not interested in having the latest greatest electric group set. If I need verity I'll find a new place to ride. Frankly I wish I realized this decades ago. I'm all for living small now. To much stuff is bad for my soul

soulspinner
10-27-2011, 08:19 AM
At 56 unless my current bike gets distroyed and I don't it will be my last bike. Like the OP I went for a light steel (953 stainless steel). I'm not interested in having the latest greatest electric group set. If I need verity I'll find a new place to ride. Frankly I wish I realized this decades ago. I'm all for living small now. To much stuff is bad for my soul

here here :hello:

AngryScientist
10-27-2011, 08:37 AM
(953 stainless steel).

i'd just like to point out that it's awesome that a guy with the handle "rustychain" rides a stainless bike. :D

zap
10-27-2011, 08:44 AM
+1, me too and I'm 38 but they say titanium lasts a long time.

Andy

The only road frame I broke (not due to being hit by some stupid motorist) was Ti. Ti tubing ripped apart so fast that the damn thing nearly killed me.

Better stick with AL or Mg or Steel or Carbon Composite or........

Me.......who knows.........I just want to ride...........and not ride with the hbar any higher than 8cm below saddle height........and thats high but I figure room in the gut for good food and drink.

oldpotatoe
10-27-2011, 09:45 AM
here here :hello:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear,_hear

tee-hee

jr59
10-27-2011, 09:48 AM
i'd just like to point out that it's awesome that a guy with the handle "rustychain" rides a stainless bike. :D

This is a very good point! :banana: