PDA

View Full Version : Tube size question...

SoCalSteve
07-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Hi all,

When it says on an inner tube package " 700 x 20-23" can you use this inner tube in a 700 x 25 tire?

As always, thanks in advance,

Steve

PS: Sometimes the most obvious things in life arent...

Too Tall
07-24-2005, 02:19 PM
You can, it is not optimal as the tube will be stretched thinner than intended. I'd call it a safe bet you'd never have a problem...but if you want the best rig, most optimal yada yada and 'cause you asked....

Bill Bove
07-24-2005, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=Too Tall]You can, it is not optimal as the tube will be stretched thinner than intended. QUOTE]
So rather than pay extra for "lightweight" tubes I could buy 700x18/20 tubes for my 700x23 tires and just stretch them a little thinner?

David Kirk
07-24-2005, 02:56 PM
I used to run 700x20c latex tubes in my race mountain bike tires. It obviously stretched the crap out of them but they either blew when you pumped them up the first time or they lasted a good long time.

I also used to run 16 x 1 3/8" tubes in my 20" BMX wheels. They were really hard to get in but boy did they make those things spin up quick.

I say run the skinny ones and see what happens.

Dave

Too Tall
07-24-2005, 04:04 PM
Bill - yeah basically and what Dave said. I learned alot talking to an industry rep a few yrs. back on this subject, it was interesting and convinced me to only use tubes sized for the matching tire. At the end of the day you need to finish the ride, race or grocery store run and not let worry about equipment throw you off your game. Anyway that's my story.

Bradford
07-24-2005, 07:33 PM
I tend to ride bigger tires, and agree with the folks above. I’ve used smaller tubes and gotten away with it, but I usually stick to the right sizes.

For an irrelevant factoid, I just switched over my wheels and put on some new 700x25 tricomps. I had some 700 x 23 tubes someone gave me, so I thought what the heck, I'll throw them in, it will save me a trip to the lbs. On the second ride, yesterday morning, I flatted. Was it the small tube? Who knows, but when I stopped by the LBS today to pick up tubes, I made sure I bought the 700 x 25s.

Orin
07-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Hi all,

When it says on an inner tube package " 700 x 20-23" can you use this inner tube in a 700 x 25 tire?

As always, thanks in advance,

Steve

PS: Sometimes the most obvious things in life arent...

Taking other replies into account...

Depends on the make of tire. Some 25s are as narrow as other 23s.

I run Michelin 18-23 tubes in Performance Forte 26 tires. Works fine. No real surprise as the Fortes measure about the same as some Michelin 23s I have.

Orin.