PDA

View Full Version : Campy 10-spd to 11-spd move?

FlashUNC
10-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Alright best and the brightest. Looking for some advice.

Derailleur for my main bike exploded today during a tune up. (Long story, not terribly interesting.) So I pulled the derailleur from my back-up bike. Got me thinking whether it might be time to look at upgrading to 11-spd.
From what I understand, I can get away with upgrading just the RD, chain, cassette and shifters and use my current 10-spd hubs. So the mechanical isn't as huge a concern.

I love the new hood shape -- using the 10-spd Veloce levers on this bike now -- but curious as to the finicky-ness/day-to-day use of 11-spd.

What are the thoughts of those who have already made the jump? It worth it, or should I just hunt the classifieds for some gently used Chorus and Record 10-spd bits to replace my blown derailleur?

buldogge
10-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Hey Flash...Even the RD can remain 10s.

I followed some advice (Dave's) from the forum and cut a slot closer to/in the RD cable lockdown bolt to change the actuation slightly...works fine.

I really like the 11s...plan on upgrading as the need for shifters arises.

Gonna start grabbing spare cassettes and chains when they pop up for decent prices...

-Mark in St. Louis

oldpotatoe
10-23-2011, 07:28 AM
Alright best and the brightest. Looking for some advice.

Derailleur for my main bike exploded today during a tune up. (Long story, not terribly interesting.) So I pulled the derailleur from my back-up bike. Got me thinking whether it might be time to look at upgrading to 11-spd.
From what I understand, I can get away with upgrading just the RD, chain, cassette and shifters and use my current 10-spd hubs. So the mechanical isn't as huge a concern.

I love the new hood shape -- using the 10-spd Veloce levers on this bike now -- but curious as to the finicky-ness/day-to-day use of 11-spd.

What are the thoughts of those who have already made the jump? It worth it, or should I just hunt the classifieds for some gently used Chorus and Record 10-spd bits to replace my blown derailleur?

Biggest reason to switch is two fold IMHO. Ergonomics of the new shape lever and the 'cog' you wished you had with Campagnolo 10s..like a 12 with the 29 or 16/18 interior cog.

Once set up, housing is done compressing/cabes stretching a wee bit, not any more finicky than 10s or 9s.

Dave
10-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Since your RD is shot, you can buy an 11 speed RD and use it with 10 speed. The slight difference in the actuation ratio should not be noticeable since it only creates a minor amount of over shifting. Under shifting is less tolerable.

Improvements have been made to the shifters, since the introduction of the 2009 parts in late 2008. I would not expect current 11 speed to be any harder to maintain than 10 speed, but the chain life won't be quite as long.

Since I started home building early this year and have no spare time, I sold two 11 speed bikes and kept only my cheapest bike that still has an old Chorus 10 RD, modified to work with 11 speed. After sitting in the basement for about 10 months, I took it out for a short ride and it shifted perfectly.

buldogge
10-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Dave... How is the house coming along?

Glad you were able to get some riding in!

-Mark

Dave
10-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Dave... How is the house coming along?

Glad you were able to get some riding in!

-Mark

The house is coming along, just a little behind where I wanted to be by now. Trying to wrap up the exterior before winter - finish stonework and paint garage doors. Got my furnaces (house and workshop) fired up just in time for next week's colder weather. Basement framing just completed - then electrical and drywall to get it caught-up with the rest of the house.

20 miles of riding for the year!

http://i55.tinypic.com/wu582v.jpg%5b/IMG

FlashUNC
10-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Biggest reason to switch is two fold IMHO. Ergonomics of the new shape lever and the 'cog' you wished you had with Campagnolo 10s..like a 12 with the 29 or 16/18 interior cog.

Once set up, housing is done compressing/cabes stretching a wee bit, not any more finicky than 10s or 9s.

I've been using the new shape Veloce levers. They're uglier than sin but they are the most comfortable levers I've used.

Looks like I'll be looking for an 11 spd RD/shifter/cassette/chain. Thanks guys.

oldpotatoe
10-24-2011, 07:31 AM
I've been using the new shape Veloce levers. They're uglier than sin but they are the most comfortable levers I've used.

Looks like I'll be looking for an 11 spd RD/shifter/cassette/chain. Thanks guys.

I have 11s innards if you wish, if the Veloce lever is 2009 or 2010.

Shift lever return spring is broken but you can use the Veloce shift lever blade...all that's different are the two discs and number of slots in them.
Let me know.

peter@vecchios.com

All the guts-$99+ ship

norcalbiker
10-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Let me know if you decide to switch to 11.

I am thinking of not to go with my new to me project.

Here is what I have:

These components have less than 700 miles.
They are in very good condition.

Compact Crankset w/ 172.5 Arm Length
English External Bottom Bracket
Brake/Shifters Levers w/ White Hoods
Brake Calipers
Front Derailluers 32mm (or 31.8) Clamp
Rear Derailluers
Some Cables

binouye
10-25-2011, 03:59 PM
I've got bikes with 11 spd Chorus, 10 spd 2010 Centaur, and 2007 10 spd Chorus shifters.
I love the newer ergolever shape on 11 and 10 speed stuff. I don't find the 11 speed Chorus to be functionally different from the 10 speed Chorus stuff. I ride the 11 speed more because its on the nicest frame. If you don't mind the expense, get the new 11 speed stuff, otherwise look for the newer 10 speed ergolevers I guess.

prometheus20
10-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Its reassuring to read some of these posts. In an Athena Group review Bike Radar insists that there is no getting around the fact that the 11 speed is much more difficult to adjust than 10 speed, and that they had to tweak cable tension at least once a week.

oldpotatoe
10-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Its reassuring to read some of these posts. In an Athena Group review Bike Radar insists that there is no getting around the fact that the 11 speed is much more difficult to adjust than 10 speed, and that they had to tweak cable tension at least once a week.

I have 10s and 11s demo bikes and they are ridden fairly often and I don't have to tweak anything. I have sold more than a few 11s groups and I don't see these people once a week to 'tweak' their shifting. Maybe they need a new wrench.

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-27-2011, 08:00 AM

Maybe the reviewer doesn't know how to adjust 11 speed. Doesn't mean it's difficult for everyrone, IMHO. I'd trust oldpotatoe's review over an online mag's review any day.

AngryScientist
10-27-2011, 08:07 AM

shrug?

setting up my chorus-11 bike was no more difficult than setting up any 10-sp bike. after about 5-600 miles i needed to turn the barrel adjuster on the RD once to account for cable stretch and housing compression, since then i havent touched it with several thousand miles on it, including once chain change.

11-sp has been a real joy to own and operate, no problems at all in my experience.