PDA

View Full Version : Pedal for Cross/Road Bike

mso
10-22-2011, 02:23 PM
I've been using the Speedplay Frog's but there not working for me off road. Difficult to engage and when the cleats gets muddy, they're really difficult, so I'm in the market for a new set up. I just tried my hubbys SPD's and they are way too difficult to get out of (set on the easiet level). I remember using SPD's long ago and got rid of them for that reason. Looking for a set up that can be used off road.

Any recommendations? Crank Brothers comes to mind but how easy is the release when compared to SPD XT pedals?

pdmtong
10-22-2011, 03:39 PM
have you tried current version XT/XTR SPDs? much easier than even a few years ago. Time ATAC XS also very easy, but no tension adjust like shimano

never tried crank bros. as the two mentioned above meet my needs

oldpotatoe
10-22-2011, 05:49 PM
I've been using the Speedplay Frog's but there not working for me off road. Difficult to engage and when the cleats gets muddy, they're really difficult, so I'm in the market for a new set up. I just tried my hubbys SPD's and they are way too difficult to get out of (set on the easiet level). I remember using SPD's long ago and got rid of them for that reason. Looking for a set up that can be used off road.

Any recommendations? Crank Brothers comes to mind but how easy is the release when compared to SPD XT pedals?

Time

Jack Brunk
10-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Crank Brothers Egg Beaters on all my mountain bikes and they work fantastic. Easy engage and easy out when needed. If you want more platform go with the Candy Ti's.

akelman
10-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Like Jack says, Crank Brothers are incredibly easy to use. I've heard some people complain about their quality, but I have Eggbeaters on all of my bikes and have never had any problems with them at all*. They shed mud, boast a very simple design that makes cleaning easy, and are reasonably light.

*That noise? That was the sound of hubris causing the pedals on six bikes to spontaneously combust.

AngryScientist
10-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Another +1 for crank bros pedals. Avoid the cheapest level and quality is fine

572cv
10-22-2011, 07:47 PM
I really liked the design of the eggbeaters, but the float was way too sloppy and my knees started to bother me. Time Atacs are similar, but have proven to be far more comfortable for me. So, Time +1.

Kirk Pacenti
10-22-2011, 08:18 PM
I really liked the design of the eggbeaters, but the float was way too sloppy and my knees started to bother me. Time Atacs are similar, but have proven to be far more comfortable for me. So, Time +1.

Been on ATAC pedals for over 13 years. Have never even considered another pedal in all that time.

fogrider
10-22-2011, 09:58 PM
http://www.beboppedals.com/
if you want light...get the basic model and get ti spindles on ebay and rebuild

Gummee
10-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Been on ATAC pedals for over 13 years. Have never even considered another pedal in all that time.I did. Then quickly came to my senses.

My ATACs from lots of years ago are still spinning freely despite rain, mud, and general all-round mtn biking nasties. :nod

Got some new-to-me ATACs with the square 'wires' this week. Snappier engagement than the round 'wire' version.

M

pdmtong
10-23-2011, 01:58 AM
supposedly the bearings on the older round wire ones are better but I have found the engage/disengage on the new square ones to be easier.

I have three pair old and three pair new on various bikes and and dirt mileage isnt high enough to worry about bearing life...I care more about ease of use.

shimano is a great choice now, and I will use it for my 12yo daughter since I can dial the release tension all the way down but once she gets older we are all back to TIME

Villgaxx
10-23-2011, 06:19 PM
time. like 13 years here, too. never failed. even the plastic-bodied atac i had with 1 side almost completely crushed still worked fine.

EricEstlund
10-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Look 4x4...err.... Crank Brothers*.

One of the nice things about the Eggbeater is you can engage toe-heel, heel-toe, or straight down. They are generally the pedal I recommend to folks who are having engagement issues. You can also set the cleats for one of two release angles if you are getting to much float. Get the middle of the line versions.

*CB licensed the pedal to Look briefly. The Looks had better bearings at the time, but CB has since stepped up the game there.