PDA

View Full Version : Places to ride near WIldwood, NJ

Bruce K
02-13-2004, 08:58 AM
There is a chance we will be in Wildwood, NJ over the Memorial Day Weekend this year.

I know Wildwood is crazy that weekend as we have been there and done that for many years until we stopped going last year.

This year, instead of spending my whole day out on the beach flying kites at the kite festival, I am thinking of trying to bring a bike and getting some mileage in.

Keno and company, any suggestions for possible routes, contacts, etc.?

Thanks in advance,

BK

Bruce H.
02-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Anywhere along rt 9 from Cape May to Sea Isle is good.
Unless there has been a change, bikes have to pay the toll on the bridges along the ocean.
When I go to Avalon, I like to go out to 9 down to Cape May and back. Can be a great workout especially if the wind is blowing!
Bruce H.

keno
02-13-2004, 03:25 PM
I'm about as far from Wildwood as you are from the Berkshires. Haven't a clue.

keno

OldDog
02-14-2004, 06:34 AM
at the bridge over to OC a number of years back. Visiting family I went for a ride, got caught at the toll booth without any money on me. I was turned away! Stuck without knowledge of an alternate route back, I came back a bit later, behind a van. The van went through and I sprinted past the toll guy. I guess I was lucky they didn't chase me - I could see it now - sitting in jail in my lycra - "whadda in for?"

oldmill
02-14-2004, 06:54 AM
The pine barrens aren't too far inland from wildwood, and there are a lot of empty, flat roads ruuning through there that will take you through farms, inlets and, well, pines. I haven't actually ridden down there but it looks like a great place to ride. The other possibility might be to start down at Cape May and head up the back roads along the Delaware Bay. There are some cool fishing villages and farm roads along that stretch.

OldDog
02-14-2004, 07:01 AM
if you have the time, take the Lewes ferry accross the bay into Deleware, ride down to Rehobeth Beach and enjoy some great Grotto Pizza. :beer:

csm
02-14-2004, 09:24 AM
I spend a lot of time in stone harbor. the riding is not the greatest... no climbing, kind of flat...etc. although, the headwinds make up for the lack of vertical. I don't think you have to pay tolls to ride over the bridges. at least, I never do. one nice ride I do down there is to ride south to wildwood and turn right to head inland. then I make another right and head towards cape may courthouse. it is a pleasant enough loop and you can link the roads heading north to get to the north end of 7 mile island. also, riding further inland can be nice. the roads are quiet, it is flat and kind of pretty to look at. although, weekends down there, especially the first holiday weekend, can be a little hectic. there is a good chance I will be in stone harbor that weekend, as well as another forum member, jimh. maybe we can hook up and get a ride in? part of the joy of riding down there is sitting on our porch for happy hour after riding. that and average speeds can make you look like a hero if you time the winds right.