Has anyone here had experience with the following Deda Products:

1) Spectrum Carbon Handlebars
2) Einstein Stem
3) Black Stick Mag (head) seat-post
4) Einstein Stem with Newton bars

Your opinion is greatly appreciated!

Climb01742
07-24-2005, 04:44 AM
i've used a number of deda bars and stems. the newton bars are my fav. choose the shape and drop you like...they're all light, stiff and not insanely pricey. their stems are the same...very functional, simple, light, stiff and not crazy costly. they just work. it says something, i think, that even with all kinds of crazy light, crazy shaped, crazy-carboned bars and stems some pros use, you still see a lot on deda alu bars, especially newtons. classic shape, tough, and nearly as light as any zoot bar. FYI, cbike.com has the full deda range, for info or purchasing purposes.

dbrk
07-24-2005, 07:06 AM
Russ,
I get to have my legs ripped off today riding with Hypnos (who says it's not gonna be a fast day...Hypnos' slow days are fast days...as you know).

I'm no help with most of these Deda parts but my experience with the Newton stems and their ti hardware has been considerably less than satisfactory. Two of the stems had the screws strip in ways that have never happened using Ritchey products, for comparison. Using titanium bolts in such an application strikes me as a poor idea: too soft, much like the old SRP kit "upgrades" if you recall. Others may be luckier or better mechanics but there are better uses of ti than this, imho. Of course, what applies to the Newton may have nothing to do with the Einstein but when I mentioned my ham-fisted-ness to my local guy (you remember Craig? what a fine fellow and truly excellent mechanic!!), he said that he'd seen this same problem on a number of Newtons, each time the ti bolts were the culprit. Climb is a lucky fellow so his experience is always tainted with an unusual degree of good fortune. The rest of us mortals may suffer more at the hands of inimical asphalt spirits.

dbrk

musgravecycles
07-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Deda AL bars are great. I have the 215 DD on all of my bikes.

However when it comes to stems my opinion is that one should stay away from Deda. dbrk's experiences with the Deda stems is pretty common from what I've seen...

Matt Barkley
07-24-2005, 01:17 PM
I find the fit and finish on Deda components to be second to none (when we are talking major cycling brand componentry) As for their super-light stuff I have less experience but would trust their's over other manufacturer's. Most of my experince has been with Deda's 215 bars in a number of bends and the Newton stem. 26.0 and 31.7. The stems are solid in the arena of all modern ahead stems - never have had a problem with their bolts stripping, though customer's have stripped them by over-torque(ing.)
Having recommended Deda - I will also recomend Ritchey. Great stuff - nice options like 73degree stems, etc. Strong, and light as well.

Happy Riding :beer: - Matt

Russ
07-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Russ,
I get to have my legs ripped off today riding with Hypnos (who says it's not gonna be a fast day...Hypnos' slow days are fast days...as you know).

....Two of the stems had the screws strip in ways that have never happened using Ritchey products, for comparison. Using titanium bolts in such an application strikes me as a poor idea...

Mr. D:

I thought I had a talk with Hypnos about this last year!!! I may have to take a trip to yer area again and soften that guy up a bit.... Hypnos, what's up with this?

Well, about Deda Newton Stems: I agree with you, and with others here. I have had two Newton stems in the past, which I tightened using Snap-On torque wrenches and using their recommened torque. But the bolts broke! So I don't think the problem is you DBRK. This is one reason I asked about the Einstein stem. I saw one yesterday and the thing really looks well made.... However, I think as far as bike stuff goes, it is "the looks" that gets us in a lot of trouble these days.

I just hope that Deda had improved the problems they found on the Newton, when they made the Einstein.

1centaur
07-24-2005, 07:12 PM
I have 4 or 5 Spectrum bars at this point. I picked it the first time because I liked the Deda shape, then I tried some Kestrel CF bars the second time to save money and found them just as harsh as aluminum. It's been Spectrum bars ever since - just wish they were cheaper. Shape and vibration damping are my reasons for using them.

BTW - Before I bought my first set I asked on a forum if anybody had experience with them and got no takers at all. They show up rarely if at all in the major catalogs. I get the sense that not many sell in the U.S. given the price point. My LBS says they're a little hard to get.

BumbleBeeDave
07-24-2005, 07:43 PM
I bought a slightly used Blackstick post from Johny at TdFL last year and it worked great until this spring when I got my new Arione saddle. When I mounted the new saddle I apparently torqued the mag head too tight and it broke while I was out on a ride several months ago when I went over a pretty big bump. I rode the last 9 miles of the ride strictly sitting and clamping the saddle between my legs because I was afraid if I stopped and got off the whole thing would fall apart and I’d be riding home with a seatpost up my you-know-what.

So I contacted Tom Franges, the Deda tech support guy, and he sent me a new AL clamp, even though I told him up front it was used and I had installed it myself. He sent me one anyway if I promised to find a proper torque wrench to install it to the proper setting--and he kept in touch to help me follow through. I got Clifton up at Blue Sky in Saratoga to put it on with his Snap-On wrench and no problems since.

Great customer service from Tom, and I re-iterate the problem was pretty obviously with my installation, not the product. I would not hesitate to buy Deda. Here’s a pic.

Dave

Matt Barkley
07-24-2005, 08:56 PM
Is the Newton the most common stem in the Tour Peleton?

e-RICHIE
07-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Is the Newton the most common stem in the Tour Peleton?

whether it is or it isn't, those guys have mechanics
on staff and can catch/replace things immediately,
things that the average consumer won't be aware
of until it's too late.