PDA

View Full Version : New Bike for Wife

mdeeds71
07-24-2005, 12:33 AM
I am looking for some input on a few bikes my wife is looking at for her self...

Her first choice is a Colnago Chic 47.5 size w/veloce equipement...I have been told that the welding may have been done in taiwan...Is this correct? But she really likes the italian flare and uniqueness of the Colnago...seems less of those than Serotta areound hear.

Her second is a Fierte...A 47 I believe that she will get her choice on build for a similar price...

The third is a Bianchi Imolla with Ultegra...

I know the Bianchi is better parts vs quality of frame where as the Colnago and Serotta is the other way around...I am looking for anyone with info on the Chic model and its details...

Purchase in 2 days or so...

FunkyPorcini
07-24-2005, 12:39 AM
Ride them?

mdeeds71
07-24-2005, 12:57 AM
She did...nailed down how most people describe the different materials and builder characteristics without even being a road cyclist...But I am interested in finding out if the Colnago is Italian speced and built or taiwan welded???

andy mac
07-24-2005, 01:17 AM
taiwan is probably better!

christian
07-24-2005, 09:10 AM
The Chic is definitively, absolutely, 100% welded in Taiwan. But why that would matter escapes me. They do fine welding in Taiwan.

Also, I'm not sure how you think the Bianchi has a less "quality" frame than the Colnago -- the Colnago has straight-gauge 7005 tubing, which isn't exactly high spec tubing. Frankly, I'd rather have a bike with 6-3-1.

More importantly, how is the fit of each bike? How tall is your wife? Has she looked at the geometry of the bikes? Which one does she like?

- Christian

97CSI
07-24-2005, 10:07 AM
Don't understand why there is any question? You are comparing two mass-produced frames with a semi-custom Fierte. Put a Centaur group on it and you'll (she'll) never need to look back.

mdeeds71
07-24-2005, 03:09 PM
It is my WIFEs frame not mine...She does care about asethics more than how it is built...that is for my information...

I understand the two are mass produced...but the fierte is much different...it is a standard geo/non-custom bike built to higher specs than the average steel that you can by off a rack...Thus they are all on a level playing field...at least to her as she explained her reasoning to me...I would take the Serotta any time over the others (unless it was a Master XL) but she makes the decision between riding them and how they look...She was able to nail down the ride characteristcs without anything read or studied...and she liked the colnago because it handled a bit quicker and seemed to accelerate better...But the reason I am asking the taiwan thing is that there is a indication that has the bike being built in italy...but I have heard they are welded elsewhere??? I was told the first few were built in Italy from the Colnago email I recieved???

mdeeds71
07-24-2005, 03:12 PM
GP finally getting to use that Centaur crank...thanks...I got my 92 Colorado II back from the paint shop in NY and it is getting faced and HS pressed...Almost ready.

djg
07-24-2005, 09:32 PM
Colnago recently made a public move to having certain less-expensive bikes built in Asia to Colnago spec (which doesn't make them bad bikes--although King E has commented that he thinks it's a crazy move on Ernesto's part), but I wouldn't expect a definitive answer to your question via a chat board. I've seen all sorts of stuff posted about Colnago on the internet and a fair bit just seems made up (shocking, for the internet).

If you want to contact a source other than Colnago (they'd probably tell you), you might try contacting Mike Perry by e-mail or phone in England. He's been dealing with Colnago for a long time--he's pretty easy to talk to, seems pretty straightforward, and probably has an answer to your question. You can pm me if you want the name of his shop and their address.

If your wife wants the Colnago she should get it. If she wants the Fierte she should get that. Her bike, yes?

Brian Smith
07-24-2005, 10:14 PM
...if aesthetics are more of a concern for her than you,
and function is more of a concern for you than her,
maybe one of you has an opinion about who/where/how it is made?
Well, my opinion is heavily biased toward that criterium, so I wont soapbox it.
You could, if you wanted, come to see where the frame was made and meet people who made it. We hear from and meet people all the time who have bought Fierte frames who love them and then come to really like the idea that they can actually interact a bit with who/where it was made.

Functionally....the Colnago Chic, as far as I'm aware, is an aluminum frame.
Often, in my experience, people who ride smallish frames, and especially those for whom some comfort matters more than all out sprinting prowess, don't come to prefer aluminum frames over other materials. These days aluminum frame tubing has a lot more give than a trainstationdecal Cannondale, but still it might be a consideration for you.

I hope mostly she gets a bike and likes to ride it, but the Fierte would be my (biased) suggestion!

grinder
07-25-2005, 08:09 AM
"She was able to nail down the ride characteristcs without anything read or studied...and she liked the colnago because it handled a bit quicker and seemed to accelerate better..."

How much riding has your wife done? Is this her first bike? What does she want to do with this bike? I would be pretty surprised is someone jumped on an off the rack bike and was able to distinguish intricate ride characteristics that you read in a forum or magazine. More than anything else - focus on fit. There's nothing worse than being 30 miles into a ride and start hearing how her neck hurts or her lower back hurts.

andy mac
07-25-2005, 10:56 AM
i wonder where her DK, Gucci, Prada, LV, Kate Spade etc. clothes and accessories where made?

Brons2
07-25-2005, 11:25 AM
I think if she's more worried about asthetics than other factors, maybe you need to insist on a less-expensive bike. I'd give her an $800 budget, which ought to get her a Tiagra or Sora equipped bike. Then when she can appreciate the difference with finer frames and components, get her another.

bostondrunk
07-25-2005, 11:29 AM
Asthetics are important. It has a lot do do with how much you (she) will want to ride your bike.
Get her the bike she wants...., not the one that all the over weight guys who think they need custom geometry, on this forum, think she should get.

bostondrunk
07-25-2005, 11:31 AM
I think if she's more worried about asthetics than other factors, maybe you need to insist on a less-expensive bike. I'd give her an $800 budget, which ought to get her a Tiagra or Sora equipped bike. Then when she can appreciate the difference with finer frames and components, get her another.

Give the wife a budget? hahaha
What does your wife say to you when you decide you need that custom ottrot for 8k?? Did ya'll really need that?

Brons2
07-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Give the wife a budget? hahaha
What does your wife say to you when you decide you need that custom ottrot for 8k?? Did ya'll really need that?

That's why I have FB's and not a wife.

But I don't have any bikes that cost me more than $1500 anyways. My new-to-me Rivendell probably cost about $5K new, so a case could be made that it was a good bargain used at $1500 after approximately 3 years. I couldn't afford to do a new custom Riv with all Campy Record stuff, at any rate.

The point was, if she doesn't care about function, I'm sure you can find a fairly prettily painted, cheap, mass produced bike in the $600-$800 range that will have pretty crappy components, but hey it sure is pretty!

palincss
07-25-2005, 12:10 PM
She did...nailed down how most people describe the different materials and builder characteristics without even being a road cyclist...

How long was that test ride, and how long are the rides she's expecting to do?

It's an old and sad story about fledgling cyclists taking a quick ride around the parking lot and deciding on a lively, fast accelerating crit bike with razor-sharp handling when in reality something with much more sedate handling and more comfortable ride would have really suited their riding better.

Brons2
07-25-2005, 12:14 PM
It's an old and sad story about fledgling cyclists taking a quick ride around the parking lot and deciding on a lively, fast accelerating crit bike with razor-sharp handling when in reality something with much more sedate handling and more comfortable ride would have really suited their riding better.

Amen to that, brother.

A test ride should be something about like, oh, 50 miles.

bostondrunk
07-25-2005, 12:27 PM
How about giving the lady a break and let her buy the bike she wants!?!

Based on all the bikes I see listed in the classifieds, a lot of you made bad decisions as well...

William
07-25-2005, 12:54 PM
Colnago recently made a public move to having certain less-expensive bikes built in Asia to Colnago spec (which doesn't make them bad bikes--although King E has commented that he thinks it's a crazy move on Ernesto's part), but I wouldn't expect a definitive answer to your question via a chat board. I've seen all sorts of stuff posted about Colnago on the internet and a fair bit just seems made up (shocking, for the internet).

If your wife wants the Colnago she should get it. If she wants the Fierte she should get that. Her bike, yes?

Just throwing out an example:

Columbia River Knife & Tool (CRKT) makes most if not all of their products in China/Taiwan. They put out dang fine products and at very reasonable prices. There are many knife makers in the US who can't match their quality, and few who can beat their pricing (for what you get). Reason being is that the factory in Asia is managed and run by CRKT folks from the US. They maintain standards and have rigorous QC. Not like the cheaper products who source out to Chinese factories. Just because something is made over there doesn't mean that it's crap. That's not to say that there isn't a lot of junk being produced. A lot of mfr's are having QC problems with the factories they deal with over there. I personally know a few people who are reconsidering doing their business there. Sure it's cheap, but you generally have to buy large quantities, ship it over in containers which can take months. And then end up with all kinds of QC problems that have to be checked and dealt with. Forget point of origin shipping. By the time you deal with all of that crap, how much is it really costing you?

Back to my point:
Good frames can be produced. It can be done right. And that's the point, you have to control it every step of the way, or it will likely end up crap.

Back to my rambling thoughts.
William

jerk
07-25-2005, 01:50 PM
get her the chic. it's made in italy. new for 2006 some euro-market only ****-box colnagos will be made in taiwan. just because the chic is made in italy doesn't mean it's a nice frame though, or that it was made by colnago. suffice it to say, the geometry and ride quality of cheap colnagos is great but they are heavy and crude and expensive for what the are. some folks think they sell based on their name, but the jerk has never known anyone who owns a chic or an active who didn't ride one first and fall in love with the handling traits against their better judgment.
jerk

djg
07-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Just throwing out an example:

Columbia River Knife & Tool (CRKT) makes most if not all of their products in China/Taiwan. They put out dang fine products and at very reasonable prices. There are many knife makers in the US who can't match their quality, and few who can beat their pricing (for what you get). Reason being is that the factory in Asia is managed and run by CRKT folks from the US. They maintain standards and have rigorous QC. Not like the cheaper products who source out to Chinese factories. Just because something is made over there doesn't mean that it's crap. That's not to say that there isn't a lot of junk being produced. A lot of mfr's are having QC problems with the factories they deal with over there. I personally know a few people who are reconsidering doing their business there. Sure it's cheap, but you generally have to buy large quantities, ship it over in containers which can take months. And then end up with all kinds of QC problems that have to be checked and dealt with. Forget point of origin shipping. By the time you deal with all of that crap, how much is it really costing you?

Back to my point:
Good frames can be produced. It can be done right. And that's the point, you have to control it every step of the way, or it will likely end up crap.

Back to my rambling thoughts.
William

but I don't disagree with the more general point (and I'm not sure how it's a response to me, as I'm quoted, although maybe it's just an expansion on my point that Asian manufacture isn't necessarily a bad thing, or wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, even if it pertained to the Chic, which I don't believe it does).

JohnS
07-25-2005, 02:50 PM
I just read an article in Outside magazine that stated that most of the backpacks in the world are made in the same factory in Vietnam...Osprey, Dana Designs, Arc'teryx, LL Bean, Marmot, etc, etc. Because of this, there is a lot of crosspollination of designs between companies.

cpg
07-25-2005, 03:10 PM
In China, there are a few very large manufacturers of bike frames that put out catalogs with their models available. These catalogs are quite large. Many small and large marketers simply open up to page 143 and order a container of model #Fun Dirt. These companies will paint and apply the marketers graphics. There's just a handfull of these big companies producing a bulk of the bikes we see in this country. What does this have to do with the original question? Nothing. I was just adding bike content to the whole Asia/knife/outsourcing spinoff.

Curt

William
07-25-2005, 03:27 PM
but I don't disagree with the more general point (and I'm not sure how it's a response to me, as I'm quoted, although maybe it's just an expansion on my point that Asian manufacture isn't necessarily a bad thing, or wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, even if it pertained to the Chic, which I don't believe it does).

That's why I Bolded the text about Colnago having some frames made in Asia. The CRKT example is one I know of where crap isn't being produced and with the right structure, decent frames could be made there as well.

William

andy mac
07-25-2005, 04:06 PM
"She was able to nail down the ride characteristcs without anything read or studied..."

sounds like she could get a job writing ads!

djg
07-25-2005, 04:39 PM
That's why I Bolded the text about Colnago having some frames made in Asia. The CRKT example is one I know of where crap isn't being produced and with the right structure, decent frames could be made there as well.

William

Never mind then.

Brian Smith
07-25-2005, 05:11 PM
This is a fun discussion for me. I think the Fierte is pretty dope.*
Limiting the selection criteria to aesthetics, if that is the biggest one to be considered, does anyone think the aesthetic character and finish quality of the much bespoken italian-named alu sled can better the Fierte?
Even if one can get past the toothpaste, the paint, I would venture a guess, pales in close comparison. I do not have one nearby to sink my fingers into that orange and peel it.

Maybe what she be meanin' is strictly and only graphics style?

Simple, understated bikes keep their timeless good looks. Flash is just flash, and goes away like so many disposable flash bulbs for 126 cameras....

...and the frame is a single piece of the aesthetic package anyway.

An UNO stem can ruin the looks of any bike....and other minor choices such as tape color can add flashiness that is more easily refreshed as time goes on.

OK, I'm getting off track along with the rest of the thread! I just thought I'd stick up for the aesthetic quality of the Fierte in that pack of 3....

* like, y'know, rad, haps, *****in', hella sweet....

William
07-25-2005, 07:26 PM
This is a fun discussion for me. I think the Fierte is pretty dope.*
Limiting the selection criteria to aesthetics, if that is the biggest one to be considered, does anyone think the aesthetic character and finish quality of the much bespoken italian-named alu sled can better the Fierte?
Even if one can get past the toothpaste, the paint, I would venture a guess, pales in close comparison. I do not have one nearby to sink my fingers into that orange and peel it.

Maybe what she be meanin' is strictly and only graphics style?

Simple, understated bikes keep their timeless good looks. Flash is just flash, and goes away like so many disposable flash bulbs for 126 cameras....

...and the frame is a single piece of the aesthetic package anyway.

An UNO stem can ruin the looks of any bike....and other minor choices such as tape color can add flashiness that is more easily refreshed as time goes on.

OK, I'm getting off track along with the rest of the thread! I just thought I'd stick up for the aesthetic quality of the Fierte in that pack of 3....

* like, y'know, rad, haps, *****in', hella sweet....

Sha, just take the Bradford with you dooode. A couple of weeks of yo and the bra learnin bazing & fixie rideing to a pod of Chinese apprentices could churn out some kickin low cost frames. You'd have to strand The Brad-man there to run rough-shod on the QC for the entry Serotta B-Smith line, cool. :cool:

Hey, it could happen.

William ;)

PS: Fierte is the dope!

mdeeds71
07-25-2005, 11:58 PM
It is not about where the bike was welded but rather why it said made in Italy....But she is big on aestheics but is keen on what is a piece of crap vs what is quality...I don't think anyone on this forum when selecting thier bike decided to go with the puke green one rather than if they had their chance get the color of choice...don't make me find the thousands of post about what color should I get...or do you mind if I borrow your color/design... :p

Jerk...thanks...I was hoping you would chime in since I know you have delt with these on your own...that was what I was looking for...

But, I must admit I would rather see her on a Serotta...or a Master Carbon but she road the bike for several miles...and will ride it again before wheeling on to the first 20 mile ride this weekend....

I can't wait she seems so stoked to ride this weekend... :banana:

It will be a nice easy 20 miles for her first....and yes I believe if she road my CDA vs her Chic...she would be able to describe the ride characteristcs because they are different materials and design altogether...just like the other one she road...one AL, one 631 steel, and one Columbus steel...and by the way they all had the same tires and wheels...wish I could have had that opportunity....

So her bike is going to be a Colnago Chic in 47.5 with Campagnolo Veloce and Vento G3 wheels, mounted with Vittoria Rubino Pros...She will have a FSA compact instead of a triple...

Thanks for the input...she really enjoyed reading it...as well as I did...

bostondrunk
07-26-2005, 04:43 AM
It is not about where the bike was welded but rather why it said made in Italy....But she is big on aestheics but is keen on what is a piece of crap vs what is quality...I don't think anyone on this forum when selecting thier bike decided to go with the puke green one rather than if they had their chance get the color of choice...don't make me find the thousands of post about what color should I get...or do you mind if I borrow your color/design... :p

Jerk...thanks...I was hoping you would chime in since I know you have delt with these on your own...that was what I was looking for...

But, I must admit I would rather see her on a Serotta...or a Master Carbon but she road the bike for several miles...and will ride it again before wheeling on to the first 20 mile ride this weekend....

I can't wait she seems so stoked to ride this weekend... :banana:

It will be a nice easy 20 miles for her first....and yes I believe if she road my CDA vs her Chic...she would be able to describe the ride characteristcs because they are different materials and design altogether...just like the other one she road...one AL, one 631 steel, and one Columbus steel...and by the way they all had the same tires and wheels...wish I could have had that opportunity....

So her bike is going to be a Colnago Chic in 47.5 with Campagnolo Veloce and Vento G3 wheels, mounted with Vittoria Rubino Pros...She will have a FSA compact instead of a triple...

Thanks for the input...she really enjoyed reading it...as well as I did...
Good choice. As I said, the best bike for her is the one she wants, not what people here think she should have. And I think that the paint on Colnagos looks pretty sweet. :beer:

Samster
07-26-2005, 09:08 AM
I just put this together for my wife... I realize it has absolutely nothing to do with what the starter of this thread intended...

About 16 pounds, all said and done.

--sam

mdeeds71
07-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Hello Sir,
The Chic model was made in Italy. For the record this is an older model now so please make sure if it is used to inspect carefully as alloy weakens with time.

Regards,

Trey Henderson

National Sales Manager
www.trialtir-usa.com
713-690-9413 x110

Seems they were pretty responsive...and insight into the alloy...of course to get us to purchase the latest and greatest but the one we are buying is new.