PDA

View Full Version : 10/21/11 How was your Ride.

johnnymossville
10-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Got out of the house just before daybreak today because I thought the sunrise might be spectacular. Here's one of the farms along my route. Life could be worse. :)

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/xnodesign/morning_farm_small.jpg

FastVegan
10-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Cold, pitch black, 12 mile commute just west of Chicago, 39deg "real feel" of 33.
First time using booties and seeing frost on cars.

skijoring
10-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Cold, damp commute. Spray and puddles but no rain. :beer:

Lights: ON.

Wool cap and socks: ON.

Leg Warmers: ON.

Fenders: Always ON.

johnmdesigner
10-21-2011, 02:52 PM
A beautiful crisp Fall day in NYC. Someone must be having a special on yellow windbreakers because I was the only rider not wearing one. Windy as hell on the Hudson and oh yes every squirrel is trying to commit suicide by bike.

Nooch
10-21-2011, 02:59 PM
a crisp day here as well in Northern New Jersey, entire ride before daybreak, a solid 31 miles... first time on the machine (seriously) in over a week and a half -- felt like crap!

alpsantos
10-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Nice one johnnymosh!

Had a great lunch ride myself - thanks for asking. Love this time of the year. Have a good weekend y'all!

http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~asantos/Biking/photo123.jpg

gone
10-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Beautiful ride today. First day in a week without 30-40 MPH winds. Day started off clear and cold but warmed nicely. Did 54 miles with about 3k feet of climbing. Windy on the ridge tops but the views were spectacular. No pictures though :crap:

xjoex
10-21-2011, 05:07 PM
I rode in the drizzle, fun times!
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-PSHN3r3g7x8/TqHqCMYiTJI/AAAAAAAAEFM/lut2j7Ecbos/s720/IMG_2210.jpg

JohnnyMoss- That is a great pic!

-Joe

jgspin
10-21-2011, 05:35 PM
I did a 50+ miler today with a bit of climbing in the beginning and a fun descent at the end. The ride itself was good but what was memorable was what happened in between. Met four friends on our Friday lite ride and did some easy spinning around Ramona. Well John our ride leader had to stay home cause he had knee surgery a couple of days ago; torn meniscus. We decided to visit him to check how he was doing. He had recently moved into a seniors' mobile home complex so we weren't sure where his unit was. Donald knew where it was so he pointed it out while he was answering his cell phone. We leaned our bikes against the patio railing.

My friends started banging on the walls and began shouting. "John, come out, we know you're in there. This is drug enforcement, put the Vicodin down. Susan, put some clothes on!" We were all making a ruckus when the wife opened the curtain and looked out of the window. She says "John lives 2 doors down." Ooops!!! :crap:

Anyway John is on his way to recovery as he ambled out on his crutches. We sure had a good laugh out of the whole faux pas. I finished the ride with a stop at a Mexican restaurant for a coke and carne asada fries.

bigflax925
10-21-2011, 05:58 PM
That first picture looks like a postcard!

Worked some OT and have been planning/building/executing a large halloween part for the neighborhood kids this weekend, so I haven't been on the bike all week. :(

I'm dying to get in a ride on my new Vanilla... after I shorten the chain. It'll have to wait until Sunday at the earliest.

kohagen
10-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Did about 25 easy miles on Long Island, working the bugs out of my new ride. Partly cloudy, temps in the mid-50s, winds today only about 15, rather than 25 yesterday. Moved the seat forward, used a 115 stem instead of the 130 it came with, adjusted the rear derailleur, rotated the front shifter mount on the downtube 180 degrees to work properly, much better on the fit, although still some work needed. Next is a non-setback seatpost, which should take care of most of the remaining difference.

johnnymossville
10-22-2011, 06:25 AM
These ride reports are all great. I love reading the details.

maxn
10-23-2011, 01:52 AM
I had to have my car serviced across town, so took the day off for a ride up St. Nizier, Lans and Autrans. It started out quite a bit colder that I expected, so I layered on all of the gear that I had. It worked out ok, except that my feet were *freezing*. Almost as soon as I finished the climb and arrived on the plateau, the sun came out and I warmed up. From there, it was a gentle descent towards Lans. At the top of one of the hills, I saw what looked like a herd of cattle in the road ahead. As I got closer, I saw that it was indeed a herd of cattle, being moved down the road by three people. Unfortunately, things started going poorly when one adventurous cow broke through an electric fence and started loping into an adjacent field. This induced some yelling by the closest Shepherd, but it was too late, and there was soon a peloton of cows escaping down the hill. They did not have a dog, so two of them ran down the hill and corralled them back, but not before the electric fence was completely trampled into the mud. Eventually the cows exited the road, and I continued onwards through Villard-de-lans and Les Jarrands. From there, it was smooth riding through the fall colors to Autrans, back over the Col de la Croix Perrin and back down into the valley.

[http://youtu.be/IUWMb54oNIk?hd=1

johnnymossville
10-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Nice Ride Maxn!