PDA

View Full Version : A Returning Rider's Conundrum

lencap
07-23-2005, 08:30 PM
I've been away from bicycling for 20 years, and have had some back surgery in the interim. I'm interested in getting back into it, but find that my AARP body isn't happy with the prospect of my older riding position.

I've been told to look at Specialized Roubiax's frame, and a similar model by Trek, called the Pilot series. Problem is, I used to have a Colnago, with full Campy equipment, and I find myself longing for the classic bike and look. Five years ago I tried it again, buying a Bianchi Veloce with Campy gear (lower end, but Campy). The bike didn't quite fit me (dealer measurement and setup not as extensive as Serotta, but then again no one is as good as Serotta and the Bianchi frame was not custom built), and I sold it because I couldn't get comfortable (loved the Celeste color) combined with the frame seeming to transmit every pebble in the road right through my body, even with the carbon fibre front fork.

I today found a local Serotta dealer (after watching Lance's stage win and getting the bug again), but sticker shock and a wife that is an expert marksman prevent me from spending my son's college tuition on a new bike. I will go through the full Serotta sizing process, paying the dealer a fair fee for his time, and I'd then like to purchase a "used" Serotta with measurements that match my body. The local dealer also offered to make "minor adjustments" to whatever bike I find, and to fully service it, again for a fair fee.

Does this sound like a reasonable strategy? And if so, your advice about Serotta models that may be appropriate is appreciated, along with any thoughts about components.

I'm concerned about buying an older frame/full bike and finding out that the bike has deteriorated over time, or that for the price of a used Serotta I could get (at least for my needs) a "new bike" with geometry more suited for my aging body (and 20 extra pounds).

Incidentially my friend let me ride his Serotta nearly 15 years ago, and it was the most impressive bike I've ever ridden - even though it was way to large for me and didn't have my beloved full Campy equipment list.

Thanks in advance for the help. Your forum is awesome.

Peter
07-23-2005, 10:26 PM
You don't say what your price range is, so it's tough to narrow things down.

What we have to go on is, you want something which perhaps gives you a more upright riding position. Yeah, the Trek Pilot series would work, though I'm not sure the Specialized Roubaix series offers the same feature. But since you're enamored and have had prior experience with high-end bikes, I'd suggest you look at a Rivendell Ramboulliet-

http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/html/bikes_rambouilletframes.html

It's got all the performance you'll ever need with the more upright riding position you may be seeking. You could also buy it just as a frame and equip it yourself. The parts pick on the Ram' are somewhat esoteric and for those who like the idea of having current technology on their bike, the Rivendell might not be your cup of tea.

However, if that bike isn't racy enough for your tastes, then a Serotta Fierte with Shimano 105 parts would fit the bill, too.

Buying a used frame, using the numbers from your fit session is another good alternative. E-Bay and the Serotta forum are fine places to look, but you may have to wait a bit until the right size and deal come along.

The reason that Bianchi broadcast every bump to you was probably due more to the wheels than anything else, unless the frame was aluminum in which case the frame was culpable as well. With your age, weight, and desire for a more comfortable ride, you might want to lean towards a bike that will fit a slightly larger tire; perhaps a 25mm. It's the tire volume that will go a long way towards absorbing road shock. Problem is, too many frames today won't fit tires above 23mm.

Another budget alternative would be to purchase a Gunnar Roadie or Sport-

http://www.gunnarbikes.com/models.php

Both bikes have road bike geometry with the Sport slightly more upright. Both frames also fit 26mm tires. You also save a couple hundred over the Fierte.

andy mac
07-24-2005, 01:12 AM
not calling you superficial or anything, but by 'longing' for a traditional set up you may be ruling out a great option for you that would lead to hours of pain free riding...

i have had tons of injury hassles. i went to the best builder i could find and told him what i wanted to use my bike for, injury problems/history, then he measured, tested, prodded etc.

i told him i didn't care what it looks like, just allow me to ride pain/injury free and hopefully not too slowly. the result has been great.

(if tour riders can ride new look bikes i bet you can be seen with one too.)

good luck,

andy.

lencap
07-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Peter, Andy -

Thanks for the suggestions. I had not heard of the Rivendell brand you suggested, and the idea of having a customized frame to address my needs is a very smart approach too.

My budget is probably $1,500 or less, since I'm not sure how much time I'll spend on the bike, and my need to be careful with my purchases. I thought for that amount, and some patience, I could come across a Serotta at some point.

Keep the ideas coming, and thanks to all.

Ken Robb
07-24-2005, 03:43 PM
there are 3 Rivendell bikes and 2 Serottas in my garage-- they are all dandy and stock geos. The Riv Rambouillet and Romulus would probably more comfy w/ more erect riding positions for you and Rambo is $1300 for frame and fork and Romulus is $1550 for complete bike less sadle/pedals. They ride the same. OTOH, you can get a custom C111 for $1500 plus $350-$600 for fork that should be perfect for you.
Hmmmmmmm, sounds like only the Rom fits your budget.

Another idea: I second the suggestion of a Gunnar Road Sport from Waterford. The frame is under $1,000. I have a Waterford RS11 that I bought used w/all 105 triple/open pros for $1000 and it rides as well as anything I own. It is stock too and is slightly "racier" than my CSi or Legend and a bit quicker handling than my Rivs.
For some reason(lack of on-line forum junkies?) Waterfords sell for less used than comparable Serrottas and so may present your best opportunity. The Waterford/Gunnar R (not RS) or Roadie models are similar to stock CSi/Legend handling.

sc53
07-24-2005, 06:29 PM
What's your bike size? I have a '96 CSI with Record 8 speed for sale now on the forum. But it's a 50 cm--51 seat tube and 52 top tube. I'm 5' 6". AS the others have suggested, the new Serotta Fierte's offer a great ride at a great price. I too like a more upright position so my CSI has an upward-bending quill stem.

eddief
07-24-2005, 07:21 PM
then you might also consider Kogswell. These are in many ways, perhaps too many, Taiwan knockoffs of the Rivendell production bikes. Very similar geometry and very decent quality. These are availabe as framesets that can be purchased directly from Matthew at kogswell.com for $800 shipped. His are green and white.

One of the nicer repaints I have ever seen can be viewed at:

http://www.kogswellowners.com/pics2/album08?page=2

lencap
07-24-2005, 09:51 PM
Thanks again to all. I'll check out the models each of you suggested. I spent much of today visiting LBS and learning.

A few common themes: Most LBS suggested trying to buy locally, allowing me to get better service and fit. I have no problem with that, but I'm still interested in buying a used Serotta within my budget of $1500-2000 if possible.

Several dealers suggested the Specialized Roubiax, especially the carbon frame version, as a balance of fit, comfort and value (new with warranty). The carbon versions range from $2,000-2,400, plus tax and related equipement costs. (I assume late season deals aren't too hard to negotiate).

I guess my primary question for this forum is: If the choice is between a used Serotta versus a new bike (for similar money), is it worth buying the used Serotta? My local Serotta dealer doesn't have any used inventory and to find it I'm relying on a forum like this.

Again, all of your comments are welcome, and appreciated. Thank you.

Len

djg
07-24-2005, 10:38 PM
Plainly, you'll want to figure out what you want viz. fit, first. And you're giving up a custom build (for you, at least). But there's a steady stream of used bikes and frames appearing here and elsewhere, and if you know what you want and are willing to bide your time, you should be able to find something of excellent quality, that fits, that's within your budget. Basically, the used ones are a lot cheaper than the new ones, but they don't spoil or anything--unless they've been wrecked, they're probably still good.

Ideally, you'll be able to check out the bike. If not, you'll be able to learn something about the seller. But Ti or Steel Serottas are not fragile, throw-away bikes, and I wouldn't be worried that used ones are liable, as a general matter, to be problems. Good luck.

Ken Robb
07-25-2005, 11:04 AM
as a used car dealer used to advertise:"Everybody drives a used car". and bikes are the same. If you can find a deal on a used bike that fits go for it.. What size do you need?