PDA

View Full Version : Ciclo computer

vaxn8r
02-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Anyone using a Ciclo?

I just got one for my Tetra Pro and it is the best computer I've ever used. Well, if it's reliable it will be anyway.

I'm an information nut. Here's what it does:

Speed/Avg speed
Miles/daily total/yearly total/2 bike total
Altimeter/daily total/yearly total/2 bike total
%grade/Max %grade/Avg %grade
Watts/Max Watts/Avg Watts
Temperature

Computer is downloadable to a PC.

I'm having a blast with this thing!

ps. I always knew I lived on a tough hill. I've now confirmed I live at the top of a street with a 15% grade. What a way to end a ride!

weisan
02-13-2004, 07:32 AM
vaxn8r,

I am interested in getting this computer as well and was doing some research just a while ago. The functions are great. The only feedback I got out of a review was that the instruction manual is not exactly written first-rate especially for the English reader.

Do you have any problem configuring your new gadget to work properly?
Where did you make the purchase, if you don't mind me asking?
Back when I was researching, the best price I have found is at
WWW.XXCYCLE.COM (http://WWW.XXCYCLE.COM)

The 436 model which includes the PC download capabilities is priced at $161.20 + Shipping.

Having the altitude and temperature functions are the ones that most intrigued me. If more people verified that they are having a good experience with this, I may consider purchasing it in the near future.

weisan

keno
02-13-2004, 07:40 AM
Where and how is the power pickup installed (e.g. hub, chain, BB)? What website has full information on this aspect?

keno

Ozz
02-13-2004, 08:26 AM
I picked up the Ciclo 434 last year for my new CSI. Nice computer, lots of features (speed, altitude, temp, power, etc) - many more than I will ever figure out. This also a wireless model.

The altitude function also works when the computer is off the bike - like if you want to use it for hiking.

Now comes the "but"!

I can't stand the aesthetics of the Ciclo wireless units. I am OK with the wheel pick-up unit - all wireless pick-ups are bulky and ruin the look for your fork. However, the computer mount, is as large as the computer itself. I believe this is where the receiver is for the wireless pickup. It looks like a stack of pancakes on my handlebar.

If you are OK with a computer that is 1.5 inches thick, this is a great unit....

Keno - I believe the "power" is an estimate, and a function of speed, and rate of ascent or descent.

Balf
02-13-2004, 05:48 PM
I have a HAC 4

It's great. It works. I am looking forward to training with a combo of watts and heart rate this season.

However:

It's ugly.
It sucks battery power.
The cadence kit is bizarrely designed.
The instruction manuals are a cruel trick designed to make you think you will learn how to work your machine when infact you need to learn by trial and error.

vaxn8r
02-13-2004, 11:36 PM
It is one thick unit. The computer itself isn't that big but sits on a base as big as itself.

I got mine through my LBS so they got it from the distributor. That price seems good.

The Power is estimated based upon weight/speed/percent grade. I doubt it is super accurate but it seems to be in the ball park and I think it is reproducible for a given rider.

The instructions are weak. I got very frustrated with them. I basically had to ride and got the hang of it by the first day on the bike.

I will never go back to wired computers. I got tired long ago of replacing the "wire" every year when rain or salt shorted it out. and I don't like wires tacked to my frame. That's why Shimano's calculated cadence is so cool on the flight deck. Why doesn't everyone do this?

The jury is out about reliability/battery life etc. If those turn out positive I can wholeheartedly recommend it.

weisan
03-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Hi vaxn8r,

What's the latest on your new CicloSports computer? How do you like it so far?
I am still mulling over getting one. I want to hear more from others before I get it.

thanks,
weisan