PDA

View Full Version : Color question for my Zanc 29er (poll)

DRZRM
10-19-2011, 03:03 PM
OK, its raining and I'm not riding, so I'll ask the really important questions.

So I'm on Mike's list for a custom 29er :banana: :banana: :banana: .

This is my CX frame:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/drzrm/IMG_0576.jpg

I want the 29er to "match" somewhat, but not exactly the same paint. I love the gulf paint and as you may have seen in the "DK what have you done" thread, I fell in love with this bike when IF posted pics of it at their blog site. I always figured when I had a custom bike made for me, I'd borrow this scheme.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HA1xDW4L67M/TFGUUsmWb_I/AAAAAAAACaU/UWmYbA9F-ZU/s1600/baby+blue+if.jpg

So my plan is this blue for the frame with mango hubs, headset, and maybe BB cups. I thought about having the suspension fork painted to match, but Mike said most powder coaters don't want to pull out the internals of a fork to paint the lowers, and I should stick with one of the colors they offer. Which are:

http://www.918xc.com/product_images/d/116/Loop29__39859_zoom.jpg

So I'll use black Thomson post and stem (unless I find a great deal on Moots stuf) and a full XT build kit, and Stan's Arch rims in black. My only question is whether to stick with black for the fork, or do white and have a matching white panal with the Zanconato labels in either black or orange to match the mango).

What think the peanut gallery?

Edit: Other color scheme ideas will be briefly considered before being disregarded as well. :D

christian
10-19-2011, 03:17 PM
White bike, light blue panels, black-orange-black stripes, inverting your other theme. Will match the white fork too.

rwsaunders
10-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Perhaps reverse the color scheme i.e. Eddy style...

echelon_john
10-19-2011, 04:13 PM
i agree--inverse color scheme, paint the fork. not that big a deal to disassemble; maybe a chance to fine tune the fork if needed.

Fixed
10-19-2011, 04:20 PM
whatever color paint the fork to match imho
cheers

bicycletricycle
10-19-2011, 04:24 PM
i dont really think that painted to match suspension forks look as great as i would have thought they would look if i had never seen any.

painting the panel to match the fork is a good idea.

Fixed
10-19-2011, 04:27 PM
i dont really think that painted to match suspension forks look as great as i would have thought they would look if i had never seen any.

painting the panel to match the fork is a good idea.

i agree

sorry i didn't read about the suspension fork thing

cheers

stackie
10-19-2011, 10:42 PM
I'd also vote for the inverse... Orange with blue panels. I'd also paint the fork. How much would it cost for the LBS to disassemble the fork before paint and reassemble after? Is that significant compared to the cost of the frame and paint that you are looking at? I'd guess that the fork disassembly/assembly cost will pale in comparison to the overall cost, so if that's what you want... do it. Otherwise, I fear you will regret...

As Gibby Haynes of the Butthole Surfers sang... It's always better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Jon

DRZRM
10-19-2011, 11:19 PM
I sort of agree with BT that painted suspension forks often don't work as well as they should, anyone have any images of fork/frame combos that "pop?"

I'll put in a call to Spectrum and see what they think. I'm liking the thought of white panels that match the white fork.

bike22
10-19-2011, 11:38 PM
you could always get the frame/fork wet painted- that'd save you/someone the trouble and expense of removing the internals of the fork for powdercoating.

besides, wet paint looks way better on nice lugged frames anyways.

think long and hard if you want a painted to match sus fork, IMO there are very few bikes where they work really well. also think about a few years down the road when you buy a new fork/upgrade/whatever- will you get the new fork painted to match or repaint the whole frame/fork at the same time to ensure a _perfect_ match? i'm sure the resale on a powder blue white brothers fork would be significantly lower than a regular one.

rain dogs
10-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Man, that IF frame should NOT have 3T components on it with a red stripe highlight... that looks awful.

Make it the inverse of your other.... primarily orange with blue highlights and black components to match a black fork.... that would look badass.

(But don't use 3T with the red stripe.... at least with white stripe.)

xeladragon
10-20-2011, 06:48 AM
As much as I like your current Zanc, I would NOT do the inverse... It'll look terrible unless you go with a much darker blue like the SSCX Vanilla that xjahx recently had for sale. I'd do white paneling and fork with orange stripes and highlights (headset, hubs, etc.) if you want the new 29er to match. Can't wait to see pics!

jh_on_the_cape
10-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Painted forks are so 90s!

You will most likely replace the fork in the lifetime of the bike. More or less travel. different axle system. Or the internals could take a dump.

Personally, I would suggest something that matches everything. That way you are not going crazy trying to find a white stem or mango brake levers or something when it brakes in a crash. black white or silver.

If you really want it to 'pop' I would go with mango ck bits. then get a black frame and fork. and mango decals. peel the decals from the fork and have zanc stick some mango decals on that too. the you can decide how crazy to go and get orange grips/saddle. some people go nuts and get chainring bolts and mango ano spoke nips and cable crimp ends and all that cr@p. ringle 3dviolet!

My mtb are dirty. it's not a road bike. it will get scratched or you are not using it right.

If I had more $$ I have always wanted a harlequin purple bike. the kind where the color changes based on the light. That was going to be an upcharge that would have doubled the cost of my 29er. So I went with baby blue. I think that 'pastel' or toothpaste color fad has passed from the early 2000s. baby blue. light green, etc.

But it's your custom bike. Don't be a slave to fashion. And you can have it repainted pretty easily.

Whatever you do, don't get a fade paint job. I regret that. I asked for panels, but balked at the upcharge.

Villgaxx
10-20-2011, 09:33 PM
i'm a big fan of painted to match forks, whether they be steel, carbon or boing-boing. it may be so 90's but i always felt the black fork or ball-burnished suspension rear-end or whatever looked cheap. mono-chromatic is the bestest. (now, as far as mt. bike suspension forks go, the old-skool polished bombers were cool unpainted, especially on white or black bikes.)

i also like the idea of having panels that match the pre-existing color of your chosen fork. that's cool. and probably much easier.

if you choose to have your suspension fork painted, don't send the whole fork to the painter/powdercoater!! no no no. take it apart and only send the pieces to be painted. much much better idea. you don't want them responsible for disassembly or keeping track of odd components.