PDA

View Full Version : the toughest climbs?

Climb01742
07-23-2005, 05:10 PM
there's this strange fantasy bouncing around my head. in america, the two climbs reputed to be the hardest are mt washington and mt evans.

if someone were crazy enough -- speaking hypothetically, here, of course -- to try to ride a number of the toughest climbs in america and europe, what might a list of those climbs look like?

if someone were -- again, hypothetically-speaking -- planning a trip to europe -- in say, oh maybe a year -- were might one go for some climbing action...if of course someone were so inclined? :beer:

BillyBear
07-23-2005, 06:21 PM
My two cents:

I grew up in Colorado, and recently spent a year in Boston...Altitude and air density aside, Mt Evans is no comparison to Mt. Washington...I've done Mt. Evans several times with a 39-29, something I could never do on Mt. Washington...

FWIW, my opinion of the two toughest climbs in Colorado are Grand Mesa between Grand Junction and Delta, and Slumgullion Pass in the San Juans between Lake City and Gunnison.

BillyBear
07-23-2005, 06:26 PM
Correction: Slumgullion is between Lake City and Creede....sorry my bad! :no: :crap:

dauwhe
07-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Mt. Evans is long (28 miles) and gains 7500 feet, but averages like 4.5%?

A piece of cake compared to Mt. Washington, I would imagine. I haven't done Washington, but have done Mt. Ascutney, VT, which some say is a perfect half-Washington (about as steep, just half the length).

The hardest climb I've done is Lincoln Gap in Vermont. The top is VERY steep; first time I tried it I had to walk, and I had a 24 x 27! I made it the next year with a 24 x 32, but still thought I would die.

Rumor has it the steepest bits are 24%.

bironi
07-23-2005, 07:16 PM
Sea level to 10,000 feet in 36 miles. This sounds pretty tough, but I have also heard local bike shops lead the way on full moon evenings which sounded pretty good to a Pacific NW heat weanie like me.

Riding the Alp Tour climbs in France is even more appealing. Great clean roads, and considerate drivers, with good food everywhere.

Go see France, you won't regret it.

97CSI
07-23-2005, 07:39 PM
Correction: Slumgullion is between Lake City and Creede....sorry my bad! :no: :crap:We did Slumgullion as part of the '00 BTC. Me and ~1200 others. Long and high for a pass, but not steep and the road was great.

Proxy
07-23-2005, 07:40 PM
Go see France, you won't regret it.[/QUOTE]

best place to cycle in the world if you ask me, just look @ the tour footage, beautiful, spotless, wonderful food, people and culture.

My vote for the hardest effort has to be the Fort de la Bastille (Dauphine Libere) the main section is probably only 2k, but the average gradient is 17% with stretches of 24% and even one 34% - I know this because someone with a lot of time on their hands wrote the percentages on the road. LA did about 5k including this part in 8 minutes, my best time has to be 3x that on a good day. unreal view from the top.

97CSI
07-23-2005, 07:46 PM
Go see France, you won't regret it.

Amen, bro. Wonderful people (to say nothing of the fact that we wouldn't be a country if they hadn't saved our bacon at Yorktown), wonderful food, wonderful wine and wonderful sights. Can't be beat (although home is mighty fine).

William
07-23-2005, 08:24 PM
It's not one of the biggest climbs in the world, but it's a butt kicker with arguably one of the best views in the world. Orcas Island is part of the amazing San Jaun island chain in Puget Sound, Washington. Orcas has about 80 miles of paved roads to explore and the climb to the top of Mt Constitution.

"The road to the top is narrow and windy as any proper mountain road should be. By the time you’ve negotiated your 80th hairpin switchback you’ll consider yourself ready for the Pike’s Peak Hill Climb. The road is heavily traveled in summers, so be cautious on the one-way bridges and the narrow corners. 5.5 miles from the base to reach the 2,409 ft. Summit so be sure to leave plenty of time before sunset when heading up. A short 100-yard walk from the small parking lot takes visitors to the stone tower at the summit and the amazing view. A stone observation tower allows visitors to climb high enough above the summit for a 360-degree view. On a clear day you can, as they say, see forever: Vancouver to the north, the Cascade Range and Bellingham to the east, the rest of the San Juans and the Gulf Islands, Anacortes and the Olympic Range to the south."

William

http://www.picturepawfect.com/Orcas/Orcas3.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/blaine.benson/phototakers/SunriseMtconstelllion-2.jpg

http://cyclelogicpress.virtualave.net/images/photoalbum/USA/13triumph.jpg

http://www.dramainnature.com/_borders/SunstarfromMt.ConstitutionPoster.JPG

jeffg
07-23-2005, 08:58 PM
I would go for the classic climbs in Europe. To me, those include TdF climbs like Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier; however, some of the most beautiful riding is to be found in the Dolomites. Amazing country to ride in, and a slew of Giro classics to climb. Sella, Giau, Tre Cime, Pampeago, Passo delle Erbe, etc. The monsters of the Gavia, Mortirolo, Stelvio are not too far away either.

Then there are the Pyrenees. Just check out the stage to Pla D'Adet or the one finishing on the Plateau de Beille last year. I have not ridden any of these climbs (yet), but I hear the steepness, heat (in summer), and road surface make many of these killer. Spain, of course, is home to a whole slew of famous and infamous climbs.

If you really want the toughest climbs, many of those could arguably found in Austria. Grossglockner (see this years's Tour of Austria, 21.4km @ 8.3%), Kitzbühler Horn (9.7 km @ 12.9%), or the Ötztaler Glacier Road (13.3 km @ 10.7%). The list of crazy climbs in Austria is just mind-boggling.

So, you could spend your life doing this. The climbs that will make a special experience are those that combine challenge and mystique for you. Ventoux, Gavia, Stelvio fit that bill for me. The Sella Ring is one of the great cycling experiences anywhere and there are so many famous climbs within a stone's throw and it is such a wonderful tourist destination (Ladino hospitality is wonderful) that you cannot go wrong.

To be honest, the climbs in the Black Forest not too far from me are beautiful and some are as challenging as most TdF climbs. Still, getting into the high mountains has an allure all its own.

One plug is to do a classic gran fondo or amateur race like the Gran Fondo Campagnolo, Dolomite Marathon, Marmotte, Ventoux, Ötztaler etc. These will really test your climbing legs and let you know how these tough climbs feel when you already have 10,000 feet in your legs. And, riding with thousand(s) of cycling enthusiasts in Europe will give you a great sense of what the scene is like. I would be happy to help with any other advice I can give.

Now stop surfing this forum and kick *** on Mt. Washington!

weisan
07-23-2005, 09:37 PM
Found this link (http://www.geocities.com/Baja/2572/Climbs/Climbs5.htm)

jeffg
07-23-2005, 09:49 PM
www.salite.ch does have a difficulty index of the tougest climbs based on their formula (Mt. Washington is up there!)

But this one topped the list!
Ouch (http://www.salite.ch/scanuppia.htm)

93legendti
07-23-2005, 10:02 PM
My two cents:

I grew up in Colorado, and recently spent a year in Boston...Altitude and air density aside, Mt Evans is no comparison to Mt. Washington...I've done Mt. Evans several times with a 39-29, something I could never do on Mt. Washington...

FWIW, my opinion of the two toughest climbs in Colorado are Grand Mesa between Grand Junction and Delta, and Slumgullion Pass in the San Juans between Lake City and Gunnison.

Grand Mesa is tough...especially in the heat. In Europe, the toughest ones I did were Alpe D'Huez, the Marmolada, the Stelvio and the Joux Plane-- all brutes.

I never did Mount Ventoux, the Angrilu or the Mortirolo. But those are probably the 3 hardest in Europe. Maybe the Tourmalet as well.

Oh yes, one year the Giro did the Agnello and the pros rated it the toughest climb in Europe--btu they had yet to introduce the Angrilu in the Vuelta.

bcm119
07-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Great pics William. A trip to the San Juans is on my list of things to do here in the pnw.

I'm doing the Larch Mtn TT (http://www.consystency.net/obra/ouch/) tomorrow. Not the toughest climb around, but it has a spectacular view at the top- you can see the Gorge, Mt St. Helens, Hood, and Jefferson.

I'd count Gibraltar in Santa Barbara as one of the best climbs in CA. It is used by Postal/Discovery in their spring training camp there. It simulates many European climbs.

Proxy
07-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Great pics William. A trip to the San Juans is on my list of things to do here in the pnw.

I'm doing the Larch Mtn TT (http://www.consystency.net/obra/ouch/) tomorrow. Not the toughest climb around, but it has a spectacular view at the top- you can see the Gorge, Mt St. Helens, Hood, and Jefferson.

I'd count Gibraltar in Santa Barbara as one of the best climbs in CA. It is used by Postal/Discovery in their spring training camp there. It simulates many European climbs.

gib is not even close to fig from the north, actually old san marcos and painted cave with a out and back on stagecoach is a nice run. good luck tomorrow

tuco
07-23-2005, 10:46 PM
Sea level to 10,000 feet in 36 miles.
%snip%

Mauna Kea... 48 miles and 13,796 feet.
_http://cyclekona.com/tour-maunakea.html
_http://www.arnottslodge.com/bike.html

Doable on skinny tires too.

I would share pictures, but like Michael Rasmussen I carry no water bottle on a climb ... let alone a camera ;)

bcm119
07-23-2005, 11:32 PM
gib is not even close to fig from the north, actually old san marcos and painted cave with a out and back on stagecoach is a nice run. good luck tomorrow

Figeroa from the north is tough, but after those initial hellish few miles it becomes less consistent... I don't know, I like Gibby better. I agree about Painted Cave though, it IS way harder than Gib, that road is ridiculous! I think I only did it twice in 6 years in SB. Just coming down it is challenging.

arsegas
07-24-2005, 02:36 AM
Just got back from an Erickson tour in the French Alps and the Col du Pre on the side of the Cormet du Roselend was the toughest for me out of the climbs I tackled. Climbing the Col de la Croix de Fer and Col de Forclaz from the south both looked like really tough climbs also, although we rode both from the opposite direction, so I can't say for sure. And chatting about this same topic with other folks on the tour who'd ridden elsewhere in Europe, looks like they ranked Tourmalet / La Mongie, Ventoux and many places in Austria (as jeffg noted) highest on the difficulty list.

William
07-24-2005, 10:58 AM

bcm, definitely get up there for a visit. You'll likely fall in love with the place. Orcas and Lopez Islands are my favorite. Very rural with great riding, more miles to ride on Orcas plus the Mt Constitution climb and the view...OH man the view!!! Wildlife abounds, Pods or Orcas, seals etc... The Orcas Hotel (B&B) is a great place to stay right near the ferry docks. Watching the ferries from the porch on a cool summer morning while sipping good java is a great experience. The Turtleback Farm (B&B) is also another great place to stay.

Orcas hotel (http://www.orcashotel.com/)

Turtleback Farm/Inn (www.turtlebackinn.com/)

"Turtleback Mountain swells up on the western lobe of Orcas Island, considered the loveliest of the nearly 172 named islands in Washington state's San Juan archipelago. Orcas' interior is comprised of wide valleys bordered by deep forests and punctuated with shimmering ponds and lakes. Turtleback Farm Inn overlooks eighty acres of forest and farmland in the shadow of Turtleback Mountain. It commands a spectacular view of lush meadows, duck ponds, and outbuildings with Mt. Constitution providing the backdrop to the east. The setting is serene, complete with a fringe of fir trees framing the open fields which in the late spring produce bales of hay for the resident sheep. A pair of 300 year old maples and six fresh water ponds complete this bucolic scene."

William

BTW: How does the Larch (THE LARCH ;) ) mt TT compare to the Mary's Peak climb? Good luck! :beer:

Proxy
07-24-2005, 12:52 PM
Figeroa from the north is tough, but after those initial hellish few miles it becomes less consistent... I don't know, I like Gibby better. I agree about Painted Cave though, it IS way harder than Gib, that road is ridiculous! I think I only did it twice in 6 years in SB. Just coming down it is challenging.

the pavement on gib gets worse every time I am on it - It would be in my top 10 if not for that - I like fig from both N and S, a great ride is do the N all the way to happy and just turn around and do the reverse, then you get the great descent, killer. Ever do refugio to ronnie’s ranch? 25M from roco, they climb what, maybe 16m – nice little out and back – steady climb with some great views.

bcm119
07-24-2005, 10:16 PM
Larch Mtn. is a piece of cake compared to Mary's Peak. The TT is 16 miles, but only the last 6 are really unrelenting, but not very steep. maybe 5-7%. I was in my 39X21 or 19 for most of it. I went 3:15 faster than last year, so i was pleased. There were some fast times posted today out there. Someone did it in 56 minutes.... I went 1:10:03.

tuco
07-25-2005, 12:14 AM

the gibraltar climb might not match the effort required to go up old san marcos + painted cave + camino cielo to la cumbre peak, but certainly it is a far more inspirational ride than that of figueroa mtn. ... from either direction.*

no reference to gibraltar is complete w/o a reference to titanium tim**. more than a decade ago, this hapless soul prepared for the annual hillclimb (up gibraltar) in a unique way. there were at least two classes (road and mtn) and tim entered the mtn. bike class. there were not so many rules, eh? titanium tim proceeded to get his bike ready by removing all the hardware not required. o.k. nothing wrong with that. spacers where sprockets were ... no matter.

now where else to shave grams and/or decrease rolling resistance? knobbies were required, but this was only vis-a-vis fat boys (slicks). so titanium tim proceeds to cut all the knobbies (knobs?!) off of his mountain bike tires! to be fair, titanium tim put in a great effort ... but, of course, disqualification followed.

_http://www.sbc-rides.com/StreetRides_LB/gibraltercamino/gibralterecamino.html
_http://www.sbc-rides.com/StreetRides_LB/hwy154/figueroamtn/hyw154_figmtn.html

:beer:

* excepting when Bo Derek happens along ... or Kelly LeBrock ... I guess they have moved on now and there is only Michael Jackson to wave at?

** titanium tim was so named because of his lust for this metal at a time when titanium was exotic (fifteen+ years ago?). just buying nuts and bolts for a bike seemed like the same cash outlay as another gruppo.

JackMahon
04-08-2007, 04:11 PM
I have done many of the Tour de France climbs in both the Pyrennes and the Alps. I think you would enjoy doing the Mt. Ventoux climb if you have a few days to spend in Provence. I think the mountain is a bit isolated, but the ride is difficult and the surrounding area nice. You may also ride through the surrounding gorges the next day, and that ride was beautiful. Not hilly, but a very good recovery day.
Mike Magnuson has an interesting article in Bicycling magazine about Ventoux and the club de cingles (climb it three times in one day) which may interest you. Also, when I went I rented bicycles trhough DiscoverFrance (cycling classics), and the service was first rate. I stayed at the Hotel des Pins which I also loved.
Enjoy the trip if you go.

DWF
04-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Mt Evans is a piece of pie. But if you want to really climb it, then you've got to start in Denver. Up Deer Creek to High Grade to 73 to Evergreen to Bergen Park then over and down Squaw Pass and then you start up Evans. Good times. :rolleyes:

manet
04-08-2007, 05:18 PM
nice first post JackMahon.

this past summer tucked into a longish
ride i had the thrill of climbing
Devil's Kitchen in the catskills. said to be 1/3
of mt. washington. perhaps. though tuff for
sure, geared with a 39x25 made it more so.

christian
04-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Up the Grossglockner to the Edelweisspitze from Heiligenblut is no picnic, though it's not really supersteep except right before the cheese-museum (Kasereck?), and in the hairpins above Guttal. It's just a long slog. With the right gearing, it's actually not too bad.

The east side of the Marmolada is a tough one, though.

And one that salite.ch undervalues, in my opinion, is the Tre Cime de Lavaredo. It's brutal, and seems to get steeper and steeper the further you go. It's sort of trying to cycle up a halfpipe.

The rest of the Dolomites east of the Adige aren't so bad. :) I haven't strayed west of the Adige yet.

- Christian

stevep
04-08-2007, 07:07 PM
heres my analysis:
tourmalet 39-25 ( mistake, shoulda had a 27)
aspin 39-25 ok
plateau de beille 39-25 but never made it to the top...was on the tour actual day ( pantani stage )
ventoux 39-27
alpe de huez 39-25 (ok)
stelvio 34-27 long freakin climb
izoard 34-25 plus a little 27
galibier 34-25 "
columbiere 39-25
col de core, port, portet d'aspet 39-25 no problem

mt washington 22-23 and used every inch of it.

Jack Brunk
04-08-2007, 07:27 PM
A tough one is Townes pass at the northern entrance to Death Valley Ca. 5100 ft of climbing over 13 miles. First 4 miles average grade is 7-9%, middle 4 miles average grade is 11-13% and the last 5 miles the average grade is 8%. It's really tough after you already covered 50 miles of riding and you still have another 55 miles into Furnace Creek. The FC 508 is tough.

rdparadise
04-08-2007, 07:40 PM
In 2004 I did a 2 week follow the Tour biking/tour watching vacation. That year the mt. stages started in the Pyrenees, then Alps before returning to Paris.

I did the Tormalet and only 1/2 way as the stage finished only 1/2 way up the mountain. This was tough, I can't comment on the upper half however. Lance claims this is one of his most grueling climbs.

A couple of days later, did the queen of the provence, Ventoux. Started around noon (not a good idea, already in the 90's) I found this climb to be rather tough primarily due to its length. If I recall, it's 14 miles long and the first 8-10 miles are gradual with tree cover. Once you clear the ski station, it is totally above the tree line and open to the conditions of most days. (i.e. wind!) I didn't set any land speed records doing this one and would have loved to do it again in a little better shape and a little earlier in the morning.

The next day, I attached Alpe D'Huez. The day of the time trial on the Alp. Actually, we climbed up the back side as the Gendarmes closed the road 15 miles out of town and we wanted to get to the summit. This started very steep and was challenging throughout. I could see the Galibier across the mountain tops and it still looked snow covered at the end of July. Great climb and I would encourage everyone to give it a whirl!

Never tried Mt. Washington, though I hear it is brutal. I've done some climbs out west and particularly tough was Jackson Pass from the East in Wyoming, (over the tetons) 4 miles up at an average gradient of about 10% if I recall correctly. Nice effort and I nice decent into Idaho going west.

Going back over 10 years, in northern Cal, I road called Ink Grade was difficult. I'm sure that wasn't the toughest in California, but it was on the Sierra to the Sea tour I did in 96.

Bob

Ti Designs
04-08-2007, 07:45 PM
I don't think Climb is all that tough. Then again, nobody looks tough in tap shoes and tights...

As for the worst hills, I wouldn't know. I just do the easy local stuff - it would make you laugh.

dschlichting
04-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Have done most of these European climbs at one point or another. Great points raised by everyone. I will take the opportunity to pad the ballot box for Colle dell'Agnello. Other passes in the region, Col de Sampeyre, Col di Valcavera are similar: brutally steep with few services along the way. No wonder this area is in the Giro from time to time.

RIHans
04-09-2007, 12:03 AM
But the back side of Smugglers Notch (VT) is one bi2$ch of a climb. Not sure 100%, but I believe , one of the steepest public roads in the east. Hey, I suffered...Hans

LegendRider
04-09-2007, 05:51 AM
Hautacam and Mt. Ventoux are the two hardest I've done in Europe. In Georgia, Brasstown Bald and Hogpen Gap are tough.

Ti Designs
04-09-2007, 08:04 AM
But the back side of Smugglers Notch (VT) is one bi2$ch of a climb. Not sure 100%, but I believe , one of the steepest public roads in the east. Hey, I suffered...Hans

I was in the Stowe road race when they extended it to two laps. The second time up Smugglers big George attacked. The notch isn't very far from the start/finish, so I didn't have very far to ride to get back to my car. I suffered enough on the first lap...

rwsaunders
04-09-2007, 08:08 AM
Climb:

As a sidebar, the January '07 issue of ProCycling had a feature article on their opinion of the greatest climbs of Europe.

93legendti
04-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Anyone ever do Trinity Gap in Napa/Sonoma? Its only 3 miles or so and maybe I was having a bad day, but I remember it as a tendon stretcher...

William
04-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Great pics William. A trip to the San Juans is on my list of things to do here in the pnw.....

bcm, have you made it up there yet?

Just wondering.

William

CalfeeFly
04-09-2007, 02:54 PM
http://www.moneyforhouses.net/cycling/dd/Canton.jpg

Canton on the Pittsburgh Dirty Dozen Ride...37 percent...it isn't long...but...as you can see on top of it all it is Belgian Block...

stevep
04-09-2007, 03:05 PM
nice pic.
would you not hate to live at the top of that?
every ride... go up that to get home.
phew

im selling my bikes just for thinking about it.

davids
04-09-2007, 04:30 PM
nice pic.
would you not hate to live at the top of that?
every ride... go up that to get home.
phew

im selling my bikes just for thinking about it.
I was at a party out in W. Brookfield yesterday - The hosts live at the top of a mean little hill - must have maxed out around 15%. He!! of a way to end a ride, atmo. But lovely countryside.