PDA

View Full Version : Bib shorts report

LouDeeter
10-19-2011, 01:26 PM
I don't know what prompted me to write this. Perhaps it was the lumps in the pad of the Castelli shorts I wore yesterday or the rough inside of the thigh area on the Pearl Izumi shorts I wore today. I've been wearing bibs for over 20 years For the past ten years, I've lived in Florida and typically ride 240 days a year with a good rotation on the 15 or so pairs of bib shorts I own. This report is based on only those brands that I own at least two pair. It isn't scientific as I have no record of exactly how many times each was worn. They were all washed in the washer with cold water and regular detergent and line dried.

Assos: One pair has started to show some pulling of fabric where the pad meets the lycra. About three threads are pulled enough to see skin--may 1-2mm. No thinning in the back and they are still very comfortable.

Pearl Izumi: One pair is starting to show roughness on the outer lycra between the thighs where it rubs against the saddle. No thinning in the back and they are still comfortable. One set of straps has started to lose elasticity and curl.

Verge: From Richard Sachs. All in good shape with no wear in back. Still comfortable.

Castelli: All have the Y2K Progetto pad or a version of it. Three pair have thinned enough in the back that I can no longer wear them on the road so they are relegated to spinning classes with gym shorts over them. One pad has lumps inside the pad like it is disintegrating. Comfortable, but not as good from a longevity standpoint as the others.

DiMarchi: Two sets have worn through the outside of the pad in back and are now relegated to spinning classes.

Of the others I have only one set of, the Campagnolo branded shorts are the worst condition, having torn where the pad meets the lycra and the straps are tearing as well. They have been used for spinning, but are about to get tossed.

I'm enjoying a set of Hincapie but have only had them a year.

Given the price, I vote for either Verge or Pearl Izumi as the best from comfort, longevity, and value. Assos gets the vote if price is no object.

rjfr
10-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Excellent review!

Over what period of time have you ridden with these shorts? Have all been ridden for the past ten years?

My two cents. Not sure you can find them anymore, but I still have two pair of Blackbottom shorts (pre bib) with chamois, still going strong after 20 years! My favorite for indoor training. I prefer bibs for the road.

rj

cmg
10-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Have the DeMarchi bib shorts EVO, the pad is perfect for me. Just enough cushion under the sit bones and very little every where else. The way it should be. Pearl Izsumi's elites are the next best.

tv_vt
10-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Louis Garneau NeoPower bibs and shorts - these are some of my favorite shorts. They fit really well and feel great. The chamois is simple, but seems to work well. Really like the 'power band' on the bottom of leg, vs. a silicone strip.

EtxeOndo - have a few pair of these. All have real chamois. Rode a pair of thermal knicks the other day. With some chamois cream smeared on them, they felt great.

Sugoi RSE - got a pair of the 'half-shorts' recently. Jury is out on these. Really like the fit, but the pyramid-style padding is a bit strange. Think the concept is good, but it should have smooth transitions between the various thicknesses, rather than the 'steps' that is has.

Tried some Assos F1 Uno half-shorts before the Sugoi's. Returned them - the chamois, while really nice and padded, did not line up with my sitbones. Was sewn in too far forward, not enough coverage in back. Weird, and frustrating experiencing the lack of padding on a long ride. Not crazy about their silicone leg grippers either.

T

LouDeeter
10-19-2011, 02:34 PM
I'd say the average age of the bibs is about 5-6 years. I've got 15 pair or so for road riding and they do get rotated. One Castelli wore through in the lycra so that skin is showing clear enough to make it embarrassing after 2 years and that is in the rotation. It could have been a model with thin lycra to begin with of course. The Castelli with the lumps in the pad are only 2 years old. I wear each set of bibs 12-18 times a year.

slowandsteady
10-19-2011, 03:35 PM
BOURE - minimal padding, made in the USA, custom work if ya need it, reasonably priced, made in the USA, excellent customer service, excellent craftsmanship, made in the USA, reasonably priced, i think the most comfy i have ever used.

CDRB
10-19-2011, 03:40 PM
I'll second Boure, Elite bibs are my all time favorite!

dekindy
10-19-2011, 05:10 PM
The problem is that the viewis on bibs manufactured many years ago and may not be relevant for a current purchase. Materials, quality, and manufacturing sources change regularly.

BillG
10-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Thank you for this excellent review. It reinforces why I only ride nude now. Aero, cheap, no lumpy chamois, no restrictions. No one has exactly the same kit as you so you feel unique. A huge blob of chamois cream and I'm on my way.
BTW for nude riding you definitely want a bike that planes.

eolson124
10-19-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm 6 foot and 215 lbs. I wear Pearl Izumi size XL. I recently purchased a pair of XL Descente Strata Endurance Bibs. I love em.

tele
10-19-2011, 05:33 PM
I'll second Boure, Elite bibs are my all time favorite!
+2

LouDeeter
10-19-2011, 05:35 PM
The problem is that the viewis on bibs manufactured many years ago and may not be relevant for a current purchase. Materials, quality, and manufacturing sources change regularly.

Not all of them are many years ago. I have some bibs that are only a year or so old--Assos, Pearl Izumi, Verge and DiMarchi. The Castelli are all at least four years old. While some of the bibs are 10 years old, most are somewhere in between. And, some of the oldest are still in good shape, particularly the Pearl Izumi.

Villgaxx
10-19-2011, 05:55 PM
boure. voler.