PDA

View Full Version : Tapered Head-Tube

Lovetoclimb
10-19-2011, 01:18 PM
I have the opportunity to get a screaming good deal on a tapered ENVE cyclocross fork for a steel CX build. My tubeset of choice for the bike will be Columbus XCr. However I do not think they offer a tapered head-tube for XCr tubing. Would it be at all sensible to throw in a different tube into an all XCr build? The tapered HT seems to be sweeping the CX market of late.

fixednwinter
10-19-2011, 01:36 PM
http://chrisking.com/headsets/hds_inset

Click on Chris King Model 7.

If you use a 44mm straight head tube, then a Model 7 headset will accommodate a tapered fork. Check XCr specs (as well as Reynolds 953 or KVA stainless) to see if they offer 44mm tubing. If you'r painting the frame, then you can even using non-stainless steel for the head tube.

Cane Creek also makes a headset for this set-up. I use a tapered ENVE road fork on my Primus Mootry aluminum frame, with its 44mm head tube, and a Cane Creek headset.

Joachim
10-19-2011, 01:45 PM
When my XCr frame was designed I discussed the use of a 44mm head tube. At that stage there was no XCr head tube in 44mm. Paragon machine works might be able to machine a stainless steel one for you at a premium price. Plus a 240gr+ (non stainless) head tube for a road frame seemed overkill for me, could be that it will be good for cross, but I decided to go with the normal XCr head tube.

fixednwinter
10-19-2011, 02:44 PM
I would agree that a 44mm head tube for steel or stainless steel is likely overkill for most riders. It makes sense for aluminum (as with my Primus Mootry) but I prefer good old One and One-Eighth for my stainless Hampsten.
Some builders prefer 1" for steel.

Having said that, I think the OP wants to find a way to use that tapered ENVE cross fork.

Lovetoclimb
10-19-2011, 02:49 PM
It is a toss up really

If I go with the fire-sale ENVE fork odds are I have to use a non stainless HT and possibly throw the aesthetics of the bike off, more expensive headset, paint job, etc

The flip-side would be using the stainless HT, 1 1/8 headset, and either buy normal ENVE cross fork, or find a cheaper alternative.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Joachim
10-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Would it be at all sensible to throw in a different tube into an all XCr build?

Ok, to answer the original question then. I think if you want to use a tapered fork then you use a steel 44mm head tube. I don't think it will be "unsensible" unless you want to have a raw stainless frame. If you do, you might be able to get one custom machined for you.

Joachim
10-19-2011, 02:52 PM
It is a toss up really

If I go with the fire-sale ENVE fork odds are I have to use a non stainless HT and possibly throw the aesthetics of the bike off, more expensive headset, paint job, etc

The flip-side would be using the stainless HT, 1 1/8 headset, and either buy normal ENVE cross fork, or find a cheaper alternative.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Yes, those 44mm HT's look massive...

fixednwinter
10-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Yes, those 44mm HT's look massive...

They have a brutal, industrial look. If you're registered across the hall, here are pics of my PM frame with the 44mm HT. Scroll down, it's the black frame with red panels.

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f11/primus-mootry-joe-depalmalaere-8405-3.html

rice rocket
10-19-2011, 03:34 PM
I don't think that looks enormous, but I'm not a steel bike connoisseur by any stretch.

FWIW, I thought it made quite a difference on the stability of my road bike, but I also got a whole different frame and didn't get a chance to swap frames and forks individually to test what actually made the difference.

fixednwinter
10-19-2011, 03:43 PM
I don't think that looks enormous, but I'm not a steel bike connoisseur by any stretch.

FWIW, I thought it made quite a difference on the stability of my road bike, but I also got a whole different frame and didn't get a chance to swap frames and forks individually to test what actually made the difference.

I like the looks of both my steel and aluminum frames, but it was a bit startling when I first opened the box from PM at how big the HT was. I'm used to it now, but it's certainly a different aesthetic from steel frames with skinnier HT's.

You're right, the 44mm with the ENVE tapered fork does indeed make a big difference. Great improvement in handling, especially fast corners.

crankles
11-29-2011, 12:38 PM
If you decide to pass on the enve disc, i'm interested ;-)