PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comment by Dede Barry on coaching

fiamme red
10-18-2011, 09:31 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/18/health/nutrition/18best.html?_r=1&smid=tw-nytimeshealth&seid=auto

At the opposite extreme are Deirdre Demet Barry, a professional cyclist, and the elite distance runner Ryan Hall.

Ms. Barry said she learned from her many coaches in her long career, but eventually decided she wanted to coach herself. “I realized there are a lot of different training programs that can make you good, but a lot of it is keeping yourself mentally happy,” she said.

She ended up with a nontraditional program — many more hours of riding in the mountains and less time doing specific workouts. Her performance improved until it was the best of her career.

Louis
10-18-2011, 09:37 PM
I wouldn't ride if it didn't make me happy.

Structured training makes it into a job, so even though I'm sure it would make me faster, I don't bother with intervals and the like.

dekindy
10-19-2011, 08:02 AM
I wouldn't ride if it didn't make me happy.

Structured training makes it into a job, so even though I'm sure it would make me faster, I don't bother with intervals and the like.

Improving to ride farther and faster with less fatigue and pain is the most fun of all and has other benefits as well. I would ask you to reconsider since it was worth it, ATMO.

Fixed
10-19-2011, 10:42 AM
pain makes cowards of all of us
imho
cheers

tannhauser
10-19-2011, 06:24 PM
So you mean keeping motivated is a revelation?

Ti Designs
10-19-2011, 06:37 PM
I ride for fun, I just happen to thing being slow takes all the fun out of it...

SteveFrench
10-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Improving to ride farther and faster with less fatigue and pain is the most fun of all and has other benefits as well. I would ask you to reconsider since it was worth it, ATMO.

Depends on your goals I suppose.