PDA

View Full Version : So many Americans

shinomaster
07-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Never before have so many Americans been in the top 10 of a tour time trial :banana: or in the overall top 10. eVEN THOUGH i'M NOT ALWAYS THE MOST PATRIOTIC aMERICANO i AM QUITE PLEASED TO SEE SO MANY OF OUR COUNTRYMEN DOING SO WELL IN THIS FORIGN RACE. (OOPS)
Is this a trend for the future or just luck and good timing?
It's been a dull tour but the outcome is impressive.

93legendti
07-23-2005, 01:22 PM
And I think we now know which is the best TT bike in the world...Trek. Made in America. Results don't lie.

JohnS
07-23-2005, 01:28 PM
And I think we now know which is the best TT bike in the world...Trek. Made in America. Results don't lie.
I think someone wrote a book a few years ago "It's Not About The Bike" or something like that. :)

slowgoing
07-23-2005, 01:47 PM
Never before have so many Americans been in the top 10 of a tour time trial :banana: or in the overall top 10. eVEN THOUGH i'M NOT ALWAYS THE MOST PATRIOTIC aMERICANO i AM QUITE PLEASED TO SEE SO MANY OF OUR COUNTRYMEN DOING SO WELL IN THIS FORIGN RACE. (OOPS)
Is this a trend for the future or just luck and good timing?
It's been a dull tour but the outcome is impressive.

Frankly, I'm not so sure they were all Americans. I think people of all nationalities were were willing to come out and salute LA on his last TT, one he was expected to win. It was a very nice tribute.

Oh, and I didn't see any other Discovery riders placing very high on that "best" TT bike in the world. Hincapie was 8th, but there were two Team Mobile riders and two CSC riders between him and Lance. So much for that.

Ray
07-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Riding my custom Spectrum, I got horribly dropped on the first climb of my club ride this morning. I guess the bike sucks. Results don't lie.

-Ray

BTW, I recovered and did fine on the rest of the ride - maybe the bike's OK after all :rolleyes:

csb
07-23-2005, 01:58 PM

?huh?

(don't forget them japanese parts)

MadRocketSci
07-23-2005, 02:31 PM

Colnagos must really suck....

Lost Weekend
07-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Ya, I don't think Mr. polkadot was to happy with his bike either

93legendti
07-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Sorry to confuse. Some people advertise the Walser as the best TT bike. Judging by TT results in the Tour the last 6 years the Trek TT bike has kicked the Walser's *** all over France.

Johny
07-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Some are still very confused by the marketing BS....

shaq-d
07-24-2005, 01:03 AM
Sorry to confuse. Some people advertise the Walser as the best TT bike. Judging by TT results in the Tour the last 6 years the Trek TT bike has kicked the Walser's *** all over France.

i agree. probably goes to show it's all hype either way...u gotta get aero and crunch it, and there's only so many ways u can get aero and crunch it.

sd

Elefantino
06-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Why have Americans become so dominant in time trials?

I know no U.S. rider wears the rainbows, but it sure seems like a) we're taking over this discipline or b) I'm becoming jingoistic.

I think it's a)

goonster
06-07-2006, 10:41 AM

Ridiculous.

It's about the rider, his position, and ability to perform sustainably in that position.

It's not (much) about Trek's ability to design a sleeker seattube, or whatever.

The teams, and riders, have to take a wholistic, committed approach to time trialing. The bike is one component, out of many, in that effort.

cydewaze
06-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Way to dredge up a year-old thread. :banana:

sellsworth
06-07-2006, 11:21 AM
One explanation for the TT success that I have heard is that in the US amateur riders tend to learn how ride on their own more than European amateurs. The reasoning is that since cycling is less developed in the US there are few opportunities to ride with others.

Ginger
06-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Wow...who hopped in the way back machine?

Ozz
06-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Wow...who hopped in the way back machine?
classic. :p BTW - It is "WABAC" machine.

David Kirk
06-07-2006, 11:34 AM
On the shoulders of giants...............

Dave

Ginger
06-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Ha! Yes, the WABAC machine!

Although this works too:
http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

Grant McLean
06-07-2006, 11:43 AM

Actually, if look slightly north from cheeseland, you'll find the next winner.

www.cervelo.com

g

fiamme red
06-07-2006, 11:44 AM
And I think we now know which is the best TT bike in the world...Trek. Made in America. Results don't lie.After today's stage, we now know which is the 4th best TT bike in the world...Trek. Made in America. Results don't lie.

gdw
06-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Our drugs are better than theirs. :banana:

Too Tall
06-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Somebody fetch me a stick :rolleyes:

Ginger
06-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Our druggies are better than theirs? What?!

Bruce K
06-07-2006, 12:24 PM
MOOMMMMYYYY make them stop! :rolleyes:

My head hurts. :crap:

Time to ride now. :bike:

BK

93legendti
06-07-2006, 12:34 PM

If you're gonna quote, quote accurately, not selectively. Thanks for the resurrection. Let's sticky this so it can be brought up after TT, every racing season.

shinomaster
06-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Wow, when I saw this thread this morning I thought I got really drunk last night and made another post that I didn't remember. I'm so glad that wasn't the case. Did something happen in the Dauphine today?

Avispa
06-07-2006, 04:35 PM
....eVEN THOUGH i'M NOT ALWAYS THE MOST PATRIOTIC aMERICANO i AM QUITE PLEASED TO SEE SO MANY OF OUR COUNTRYMEN DOING SO WELL IN THIS FOR[e]IGN RACE....

Shino:

I wasn't born around here.... But I am now as good as an Americano as any of you!

IMO, America, the country not the continent.... Is a great place to be in and a great country to be a citizen of. Spain may be Olé, France Uh La La, Italy Bellisima... But, I am proud of many things American; my acquired citizenship being one of them. I would not trade my Serotta for any foreign bike...

I just get dissapointed everytime I get the "If you don't like it here, get out!" To those that think that way, I say, it is NOT about getting out! It is about making America even better than it is, and keeping it that way... and NOT allowing one little group to get away with murder!

With that aside, as yourself, I am very proud when I see Americans do well overseas. Especially in sports that are not mainstream in the homeland!!!

Can you believe that the the USA women soccer team is numero uno in the world?

BoulderGeek
06-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Less than a month to the Tour!

Basso is gonna be fierce, atmo.

This vintage thread is funky and mature, like a cave-aged Bordeaux. A little moldy, too.

Bruce K
06-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Actually, given the results in today's TT, what was old has become new again.

BK

shinomaster
06-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Unfortunatly my typing skills haven't improved at all sinCE LAST YEAR. :confused: I VOTE FOR hINCAPIE IN THIS TOUR AS A LIKELY PODIUM GUY.

manet
06-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Unfortunatly my typing skills haven't improved at all sinCE LAST YEAR. :confused: I VOTE FOR hINCAPIE IN THIS TOUR AS A LIKELY PODIUM GUY.

WHA?! will he be in heels kissing the winners?

shinomaster
06-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Maybe his wife will race and he can kiss her?

Elefantino
06-08-2006, 12:58 AM
No, some of were not hallucinating. Blame me. I dug up the ONE-year-old thread this morning. I actually didn't mean to post on it (meant to start my own), but I'm just learning this Internet thing.

Sorry.

Now about my new bike ...

Avispa
06-08-2006, 01:48 AM
Now about my new bike ...

Dude,

This some radical TT bike!!! I am assuming the small wheel is the front wheel, right?