PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical question regarding choice of bike

victork
02-12-2004, 09:27 PM
I was thinking about this while riding today.

Here is the hypothetical, silly question.

Suppose money was no object. All bikes no matter what build and components are the same price. If could only have one bike to ride year round, under these circumstances what bike would you choose?

I personally would have a hard time choosing something other then my Legend.

I had a particuliarly good ride today!

BumbleBeeDave
02-12-2004, 09:54 PM
I love my Legend, too! Always faithful, always fun to ride, always handles great, never rusts.

Yippee!! :D

BBDave

Ahneida Ride
02-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Legend is a tough ride to beat. I agree.
Certainly a candidate for the perfect all around bike.

Kevin
02-13-2004, 05:37 AM
I would vote for my Ottrott ST.

Kevin

Too Tall
02-13-2004, 06:11 AM
Ti Legend. I even commute on it...swab it off for weekend and swap in light wheels for training with my "Glam" teammates...none's the wiser. No rust, no paint, no decals. THE BEST!

dbrk
02-13-2004, 07:07 AM
i suppose this is an indication of just how dowdy and oldschool I am but it _astounds_ me that people would consider an "all-around" bike, one that you would ride in all weathers and for every ordinary riding purpose, that did not have fenders and integrated lighting. Serottas are, by and large, "competition" or "fast bikes" and beautiful examples at that. But all-arounders? That's sort of impossible for me to fathom. You could properly outfit a Serotta to be an all-arounder but the vast majority are not designed for that purpose and this, I might add with a tinge of fear for repercussions, is not their forte. You see all-arounder outfitted Serottas, but the vast majority have compromises that would lead me to a bike actually meant for this purpose. Like the vast majority of bikes in the American tradition of "competition", these are bikes for racers and WalterMittyesque fun. I LOVE them but they are not an all-arounder: they are for fun, group rides, solo rides, mostly fair weather rides (or otherwise your wet!), and going out for a spin. Riding the bike all the time? That's a different kettle of fish.

What this thread is suggesting to me is that American cycling is very unlike, say, cycling in places where bicycles are in fact used for all-arounder purposes, like England or Holland. I don't just mean commuting or going to market, I actually mean for multi-purposes. This is a cultural matter as much as it is a matter of traditions and the legacies of cycling.

Look, for example, at Cycling Plus (that ourpal hybridbellbasket cited in another thread), _their_ idea of an all-arounder has nothing to do with a fast bike. They love fast bikes and race bikes. So do I, but they don't think these are real all-arounders

If I were reduced to an all-arounder I would make one of three choices:
A properly outfitted Rivendell or a normally outfitted randonneur Mariposa or Singer. These bikes would have light fenders, lighting that had no exposed wires, and bullet proof parts. I would ride it to the part for baseball practice and lay it down, pulling my glove off the bars. I'd ride it home in the rain and hang it in the garage. I'd take it on the Sunday fast ride and keep up with folks (the slower folks). I'd be taken for a kook.

dbrk

Sandy
02-13-2004, 07:15 AM
Kevin,

This thread just started and you are already behind by 4-1. I'll help you out. The answer is Ottrott ST. The Legend wouldn't even be second. The CSi would certainly be ahead of the Legend and not far behind the Ottrott ST.

My actual all time favorite is the custom Serotta steel/titanium/carbon/balsa wood/bamboo tricycle with trainer wheels that I ride up and down the halls of the Serotta Asylum, but I am not allowed to take it off the Loony Bin floor, so I guess it doesn't count.

STill Serotta Sandy

Ozz
02-13-2004, 08:37 AM
Actually, I faced this situation last year. My wife gave me this "freedom" when I turned 40.

I decided on the CSI w/ f2 fork, and lots of custom paint.

I was tempted to go with the Legend, and considered the Ottrott, but did not have enought experience with a Ti or Ti/carbon bikes to go that route.

Besides, I really wanted something that was an eye-catcher. And nothing looks as good as lugs! (Even if they are "faux-lugs")

BTW - The custom paint was not done correctly, but both Serotta and bike shop stepped up and agreed to fix it at no cost to me. My bike left the Serotta shop this past Monday, and the I should have it back next weekend!

jerk
02-13-2004, 09:02 AM
the jerk is with dbrk here...now the jerk sees the bicycle first and foremost as race equipment and/or a sporting good. one wouldn't ever think of running spikes as a good all-around shoe although some people do use running shoes as such. that being said, if the jerk could only have one bike it would have to do alot of different things:

lugged steel frame made by someone who knows what they're doing with such beasts..maybe someone like woodrup in the u.k. or nagasawa in japan....take my regular race bike geometry...slacken the head angle a wee bit kick out the rake a notch and lengthen the chainstays just a little. give it some braze ons for fenders and maybe a rear rack....steel fork...threaded hset and nitto stem with cinelli 64 bars....handbuilt free wheel phil hubs on probably a couple of paris-roubaix hoops if the jerk could find the non-existent 36 hole versions...7 speed freewheel. (these are still available and don't wear out nearly as fast as a modern cassette. given that the only way the jerk would be left with one bike would be nuclear holocaust the jerk thinks cassettes and chains maybe hard to come by.) Paris-Roubaix tubular tires, down tube shifters set on friction...some nice looking 42/52 crank....brakes that work.....probably a brooks swallow seat...although the jerk really likes turbos....anyway, something like that.

the jerk
(who admits the above bicycle isn't anywhere near as cool or trick as modern race bikes....but a bit more practical and nice enough.)

Too Tall
02-13-2004, 09:31 AM
My Ti Legend is not an all rounder. Was that the question? However, I have SRM on it and coach needs me to send that data as much as I can...so I adapt. SKS clip on fenders as needed and a night rider HID. Heck, I keep a bucket of soapy water by the back door. It takes me all of 5 mins ,if that, to swab the bike and ready for war. I'm kind of proud of the fact that I'm not a sissy about using the bike if the sky darkens.

For me, the luxury of riding this amazing bike to work is not dissimilar to driving my 56 Chevy Hot Rod in the rain. I do it because I love it and they are ment to be used. Life is short, go ahead chip the paint.

My Fat Chance Mtn. bike with slicks is what I've commuted on the most. Hmmm, over the last 5 yrs. probably not less than 40,000 miles. Fenders, of course.

By hey, if you cats are writing a check by all means sign me up for a custom Serotta with enough clearance to fit Nokian 700c's and THAT my friends will be my ultimate all rounder.

BUT, my ultimate bike....with no regard for costs....remains the Legend Ti. And after I break into Jerk's garage I'll hang a bunch of very sweet bits on it too ;)

Spinner
02-13-2004, 09:34 AM
agree with dbrk on this alternative. while i LOVE to ride my serotta, my riv rambouillet is my all around of choice.

in addition to comfort, it has eyelets for fendors and/or racks, although it is not a heavy touring frame. the frame also has plenty of clearance for suitable fendors and larger tires, up to 38s i think.

the bike is exceptionally stable, yet it handles quick. this is a fast bike. the all steel frame and fork absorb harsh road vibrations with ease while still providing positive road feel. as far as eye candy goes, it is a real looker in orange and i bet the new blue versions coming out will be fabulous too.

while my rambouillet is my current choice for best all arounder, mostly cause i have one, i'm changing soon to identifying a singer or perhaps a mariposa or a berthoud as the best. these bike are among the finest anywhere for all around form and function. they are beautiful to boot. i've created a new fund for my next best and your contributions are welcome.

victork
02-13-2004, 10:43 AM
DBRK and Jerk, now you have me looking at your choices! Even though I don't do any tour riding your logic makes sense and has lead me to think I need to add to my stable.

I would still choose my Legend though if I had one choice.

Matt Barkley
02-13-2004, 11:26 AM
dbrk and jerk,
I hear you - but hear me out - along with a little TooTall nod - You see, a year round bike - now we are saying "all-around" - of course means different things to different people with different needs.

This is what works for me - with one (or two) bit(s) for improvement. ANY, yes I said ANY "competition" "race" bike. Yeah, I'd prefer a Pegoretti or Serotta, nice frameset, whatever - and yeah I'd prefer Campy to Shimano, but the point is as TooTall said a BIT - WITH a BIT of the same ideas you get with randonneur and whatever bike from Holland. I can/have put fenders on my "road competition" bike, racks too. (I usually carry quite a bit in my bag on my back) I have/do commute, train, travel/tour,shop, etc on my "competition/race bike" In the rain, in the snow, etc. I can usually fit 25mm cross tires on - and they work the best in the snow. Yeah the cross bike works a bit better but I am trying to make some sorte of argument here...

Two bits for improvement: Make my "race/competiton" bike look ugly and unattractive so I can leave it locked up without much worry - and maybe have braze-ons fitted for a rear rack (which I have done on my Hampsten Cinghale Pro "racer").

I am comfortable on these bikes for short trips - they handle the best in traffic and are quick and easiest to ride up steep hill. For long rides over 100 miles they are comfortable and efficient and easy to carry up narrow stairways - I could go on and on.

Competiton Bikes get me though 100 miles more quickly than non-competiton bikes. Yeah, that is true. Longer wheel base, more rake, slacker angles. More comfort - but then I miss the quickness and agility of my race bike. - Yes, even when carrying boxes. Couriers seem to like the race/competiton bike thing from my experience. All year round.

My question is: What is so wrong with an American Competition bike that can have fenders mounted (the new SKS swithblades are awesome) and Mr Tuffys and studded tires. How can this bike not be the only bike for year-round, all-around, super-crazy I gotta-ride-there riding? I have a little experience as I am sure most on this Phorum do. How will another bike do that much better? I always get wet in the rain when I ride no matter how much fender is on the bike, any bike. More beer for all!!- Matt

:beer:

SPOKE
02-13-2004, 05:21 PM
thank goodness i don't have to make the "ultimate" choice. but if i was forced to make the choice i'd have to have a Singer-like rig built out of titanium. the fork may have to be steel since a Ti fork that really works is pretty hard to find. the drive train would have to be 7spd with bar end shifters capable of switching from friction to index.

Peter
02-13-2004, 06:24 PM
I already own a bike like dbrk and the jerk envision-fenders, rack, generator light. If I'm gonna ride it year 'round, then it's gotta be able to handle the dark and the wet.

It's a road bike, a Bilenky Signature Clubsman, and it gets ridden daily, but when snow falls, I have to switch to my mountain bike. So maybe I should get a mountain bike with two sets of wheels, or for-go riding when it snows and stick with a road bike? That's getting a bit anal about the question, I know.

A Serotta Rapid Tour or IF Club Racer would be just fine outfitted as above. My bike as is, is plenty fast and fun, even with the accessories. Light racing bikes are fun to ride but limited in their versatility.

Kevin
02-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Sandy,

I am glad that you and I know that the correct answer is Ottrott ST. If the other posters had our Ottrotts, they would vote for the Ottrott. I am glad you like your CSi. I am scheduled to get my CSi in 8 weeks. I hope that I enjoy it as much as you like yours.

Kevin

chuck
02-13-2004, 09:45 PM
This thread gets me to thinking of alternative bikes. Mike Flanigan, IF founder/designer now working alone in Holliston MA, has "Alternative Needs Transportation" (ANT). No lugged steel but some of the best TIG welds you can imagine. His site is www.antbikemike.com.
Chuck

Elefantino
02-13-2004, 11:31 PM
As much as I admit that I love my CSi, I would have a hard time turning down a 61cm Hors. There was one for sale in St. Augustine, Fla., recently and I fiddled with the idea.

:(

Oh well. If I have to "settle" for a CSi then I guess life ain't too bad!

FWIW,
Mike

oldmill
02-14-2004, 06:58 AM
The IF CLub Racer would be just about perfect. It has clearance for fenders and rack mounts, and is fast enough. I'd get it in Ti though

dbrk
02-14-2004, 07:58 AM
I really want to thank Chuck for the link to ANTbicycles. That Major Taylor bike and the Scorcher are just fantastic. If I lived in a commuter/urban setting, I'd be setting myself upon one of these, no doubt. As it is, my version of this will be a 650B wheeled single speed Mariposa. It will have a host of practical parts for riding in one gear _everywhere_:
*front custom carrier, a la Herse/Singer
*integrated lighting with a headlamp (see Jitensha, we got the last ones)
*TA Pro vis5 chainset with single ring and chainguard
*Phil Wood phlopin' hubs on SuperChampion 650B rims
*Brooks Swift, Simplex post
*Nitto Noodle/Nitto Pearl
*Honjo hammered fenders
*Mafac Raid centerpulls mounted on proper brazed-on pivots, etc., you get the idea.

Plans include leaving this bicycle in the middle of the night at a safe, undisclosed as yet location somewhere near (or in) Boston so that senor jerk can ride it when I am not aboard. Exchanges will be made. Should we be caught or captured, The Secretary will disavow any knowledge of our mission. This message will self-destruct if five seconds...Good luck, Mr Phelps...errr...Barry...errr Jerk...

dbrk

dirtdigger88
02-14-2004, 10:01 AM
I would pick a steel cyclocross bike. (with fender mounts) I have been dreaming of one with disc breaks as well. The first day I see one with hydro discs and a road group, I will buy it on the spot. How cool of a bike would that be? My wife would leave me but then I would have more time to ride.

Jason