PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on a Winter/Snow Bike

Aaron O
10-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Hi Gang,

I've been debating putting together a Pugsley for some time now, but have heard some pretty negative things about their ride...and that they aren't that terrific for snow/ice. Specifically, I've heard the front wheel's size is so large and heavy that it makes riding a real chore...and its size means there is more snow in front of you to push through. Do any experienced snow riders have an opinion here?

I've been considering using a Lemond Poprad as a snow bike with some studded nokians, and also just picked up a Litespeed Obed frame I was originally planning to sell, but am now considering making into a snow bike. What's my best path forward to fun winter riding?

AngryScientist
10-18-2011, 10:25 AM
i say a rigid 29'er would be a good choice, with narrow studded tires and fenders.

i've never ridden one, but i'd agree that the pugsley looks to be more gimicky, or fun to trod around a few miles on one, but not put serious miles in, that's my perception anyway.

christian
10-18-2011, 10:29 AM
I think there's a big difference between a winter bike (asphalt, ice patches, some packed snow) and a snow bike (Iditabike, snowmobile trails, loose stuff).

For the former, you can use something like a Bianchi Milano with studs, or a Ti mtb with studs, or even a cross bike. For the latter, you're looking at one of the specialty bikes.

nooneline
10-18-2011, 11:00 AM
I like a single speed cross bike for a winter bike. Definitely agree that it's not the same as a snow bike, but I've found one to be adept at commuting through Minneapolis winters.

Room for fat tires, room for fenders, weak brakes (cantilevers - helpful for not locking up the wheel on slippery ground), no cassette or derailleur to get all grossed up (had a 1x7 for a while - in snow, the cassette would turn into a block of ice, and the derailleur would just skate up and down on it, the chain barely engaging).

Plus useful and fun the rest of the year 'round.

4Rings6Stars
10-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Agree with the posts above.

Are you planning on riding this through the snow, i.e. snowy days before roads have been plowed, winter trail riding..etc. or just a winter commuter?

I'm currently building a winter commuter but if there is more than an inch or two of snow/slush on the roads I take the train :) so I really only need something to handle slippery roads and caustic conditions - I'm likely going to be using a Reynolds 531 Trek 710 with x32 + tires and fenders. If I had the money to experiment, I would like to try a 29er.

My advice, use the Lemond (which you admittedly love) or build up that Litespeed...then sell me your Merckx ;)

Aaron O
10-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Agree with the posts above.

Are you planning on riding this through the snow, i.e. snowy days before roads have been plowed, winter trail riding..etc. or just a winter commuter?

I'm currently building a winter commuter but if there is more than an inch or two of snow/slush on the roads I take the train :) so I really only need something to handle slippery roads and caustic conditions - I'm likely going to be using a Reynolds 531 Trek 710 with x32 + tires and fenders. If I had the money to experiment, I would like to try a 29er.

My advice, use the Lemond (which you admittedly love) or build up that Litespeed...then sell me your Merckx ;)

Thanks for the well thought out answers...

I really want it for two distinct purposes...

1. Commuting a couple of miles through snow that has been getting worse here. I've taken 26inch tire MTBs, 2 inch studded tires, through the past few blizzards we've had, and while I get through, they are slippage issues and I've fallen down a couple of times. I have to ride VERY slowly. So I'm looking for a bike I can take through those 4 days of fairly deep snow before the streets get paved.

2. I'm looking for a bike I can use on a MUP that doesn't get plowed...and that often gets snow drifts.

My current thought pattern sort of goes along what 4ring said...I'm thinking neither on the Litespeed/Pugsley and using a rigid 26 inch steel MTB I have laying around and tossing studded tires on it for the thicker stuff and using the Poprad with knobbies for the 1inch stuff. One big advantage to the Litespeed would be not exposing my Poprad to the salty snow and rain.

NHAero
10-18-2011, 08:26 PM
FWIW - I had a fat bike a few years ago when I lived in west central NH. What I learned is that it is not all that great in snow that isn't hard packed - even with 4 inch tires, if the temps were close to freezing the snow was soft enough that the tire sank in, even at pressures below 10 psi. I think one reason they may be popular in AK or MN is that the snow gets packed and it stays cold.

spiderman
10-18-2011, 09:29 PM
FWIW - I had a fat bike a few years ago when I lived in west central NH. What I learned is that it is not all that great in snow that isn't hard packed - even with 4 inch tires, if the temps were close to freezing the snow was soft enough that the tire sank in, even at pressures below 10 psi. I think one reason they may be popular in AK or MN is that the snow gets packed and it stays cold.

i live in northwest iowa and have commuted to work the last few seasons on a pugsley. i just put together my winter ride tonight. i have it set up with a white industries double double (35/38--19/16). works great in packed snow, road and trail. packed snowmobile trail on the lake is perfect! my world gets much smaller in winter...a 6 miles slugfest on the pugsley can be a great workout, an incredible yet fun challenge and quite honestly can rival any century ride i have done as far as effort goes..the highlight of my day typically is a noon pugsley ride with clydesdale in winter!
i mount a couple dinotte headlights and a tail and am pretty much good to go for the winter. really icy days with no loose snow on the road or snow in the forecast i take the nokian shod crosser, so the pug gets the nod most days!
i probably put on well over 1K pugsley miles each season...some of the sweetest miles of the year...after recovering from a little medical issue or two the last few months i seriously began to doubt if i had the strength to put the pug back together, cart it up the steps or climb the hill right outside my house. As i took it off the stand tonight for a test spin, it seemed to whisper..."i'll get you back in gear...lets go...we've got some great miles ahead, friend--giddy up"

xjoex
10-18-2011, 09:40 PM
I switched from commuting on a cx bike with studs to a rigid 26" mtn bike with studs. I am much more sure footed on the mtn bike. When you get stuck in an icy rut it was nice to have a larger more aggressive tire.

But you said you already tried that with no luck... Maybe it was the tire?
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-cmhBtgO1XZE/TQ0VaUbslcI/AAAAAAAADEA/K9a2h2KDFq4/s912/IMG_2742.JPG

Just a thought.

-Joe

gomango
10-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Hi Aaron,

Buying a Pugsley or Muckluk wouldn't be a terrible move.

Another fun way to exercise in the winter.

I commute one or two days a week here through the Minnesota winters, 12 miles each way, and I use an old SS Bob Brown mtb with Nokians.

Studded tires bring up the safety level a notch, no doubt.

If I made another move, it would be a single speed Fargo 29er.

A safe, comfortable upright rising position with braze-ons galore sounds like just the ticket for a Minnesota winter.

I'll use a buddies' Pugsley for occasional joy rides though.

forrestw
10-19-2011, 08:24 AM
My winter bike is a cheap 80s frame treated with linseed oil to keep rust at bay and setup fixed gear. The Pugsley would be serious overkill.

I run 700-32 tires 99% of the time and find them a good compromise. If the weather turns icy or truly horrid I'll mount my Nokian w106 x35 studded. The worst conditions I experience are slightly packed snow where anything but a heavily treaded tire will skitter sit sometimes breaks through the snowpack. Of course narrow tires are the worst for this.

The studs are zero value on snow but the only way to stay up on ice and not all ice is created equally, near freezing studs will get significant bite while the lower the temperature, the less traction you'll get. I've ridden on the Charles river in 15F and found that anything over 15 degree lean would cause the bike to slide out under me.

In poor traction conditions I drop my saddle height 1/2" or so to make recovering from slides easier.

While I'm sure wishing for a mild winter there are compensations, in a heavy storm I routinely outrace vehicle traffic wearing a big grin as the car commuters get angrier by the day clearly expecting their schedules to be untouched by nature.

skijoring
10-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Old 'cross bike with cantis, W106 tires, flat pedals, big old hiking boots. 1 X 8 drivetrain - friction shifted via bar-cons.
Saddle a bit lower than normal. Metal brake levers wrapped with hockey tape.

You have to oil and wipe your chain every day, depending on snow fall and temps.

It makes a huge difference on snow and ice sticking to the chain and cogs.

Also, full coverage fenders keep the drivetrain and footsies much cleaner/drier.

spiderman
10-19-2011, 09:15 AM
...a couple winters ago my brother in law, nephew and i
went out on a cross bike, mountain bike and the pug...
that's the best field test for a winter bike.
three different riders all the same height
and we took turns riding all three in all kinds of snow/ice/trail/road/ditch...
far and away the top performer for all three of us
going where no other bike could go and consistantly
leaving the other two riders behind--??
the pugsley...every single time...
it's basically the price of admission
for a truly unique winter riding experience!