PDA

View Full Version : Assos or Capo or...

zap
10-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Time to purchase some cold weather kit.

It has been some time since I last purchased Assos (I stopped due to poor assembly quality 7 odd years ago) and am wondering how recently purchased Assos products are holding up for formites. I always liked the fit of Assos bibs.

Also looking at Capo.

Specifically looking to purchase lined bib knickers and warm jacket with high collar to protect the neck.

Fit. I'm thin and the last bib knickers (DeMarchi) are cut for someone a bit larger than I around the mid-section.

tiretrax
10-18-2011, 09:42 AM
The Assos jacket I have is fantastic, but it pilled inside. Capo makes nice products, if you like shouting their name. I have become a Raphaphile. Well made, well cut, and subdued. Yes, very yuppy. Bikesnob NYC said the arm band signifies membership in the army of douche. But, he, too, loves the products.

skijoring
10-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Descente and Sugoi maked some lined bibs and knickers; still made in Canada, I believe.

I have a pair of the Descente lined bibs and they are comfy into the 30's with leg warmers.

I weigh 165-170 and am 6' 1"; medium in both.

:beer:

AngryScientist
10-18-2011, 09:51 AM
i am super-duper happy with my new Rapha softshell jacket. havent endured any weather in it yet, but all signs point to WIN.

kohagen
10-18-2011, 09:51 AM
The only time I've had a problem with an Assos product was the rip I got in my jersey when I was hit by a car. (Can you believe that?) Otherwise they've been good. Capo has also been good. I tend to choose based on what good stuff is on sale.

Lionel
10-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Highly recommend the Assos AirJack. Was relunctant to pay that much, screwed around for years with a lot of other jackets. Finally bought it 2 year ago and became a very big fan. Very wide temperature range and great fit if you are slim.

They have updated the AirJack this year and it now has one of this Assos new name that no one can remember, spell or pronounce!

AngryScientist
10-18-2011, 10:01 AM
i dont know about assos, but Rapha anyway will repair their good for life, including crash damage to them, that's something to consider when dropping serious coin on clothing IMO.

Lionel
10-18-2011, 10:02 AM
i dont know about assos, but Rapha anyway will repair their good for life, including crash damage to them, that's something to consider when dropping serious coin on clothing IMO.
Yep, they do that. At least in Europe.

norcalbiker
10-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Between Capo and Assos, I'll take Assos any given day. That's only if cost is not on the equation.

christian
10-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Ok, ok, ok. Happy birthday Angry Scientist. We get it. You like the new jacket. May all your commutes be epic! :)

AngryScientist
10-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Ok, ok, ok. Happy birthday Angry Scientist. We get it. You like the new jacket. May all your commutes be epic! :)

:beer:

Mikej
10-18-2011, 12:02 PM
ASSOS, they have a deeper line of winter clothing than Capo, so you can always match.

fiamme red
10-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Rapha for the stealth helmetless pro look on epic winter days with low visibility.

http://www.rapha.cc/images/gallery/1404-15.jpg

fixednwinter
10-18-2011, 02:22 PM
I've had some QC issues with Assos products a few years ago too (especially their gloves, both summer and winter) but some knickers I purchased last year are great.

I bought Capo for the first time earlier this year, their insulated shorts (to match with knee warmers). Excellent construction and a lower price point than Assos.

Rapha is usually at a lower price point than Assos as well (although more than Capo) and I like the solid colours and simple graphics. Best time to buy them is during their seasonal sales - it makes it a much better value.

beeatnik
10-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Unlike Capo and Rapha, Assos develops, designs and manufactures most, if not all, of their apparel. Rapha and Capo are essentially distributors disguised as designers/marketers. Capo does have an awesome fit tho. And, yes, it's all been said before ad nauseam.

BillG
10-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Assos wind blocker tights were the best piece of winter kit I've ever bought, followed by my Fugujack. I love my Rapha soft shell but that's not winter kit.

rdparadise
10-18-2011, 02:56 PM
I have a 2 year old model Assos AirJack 851 that is my go to jacket in conditions from about 30-45 degrees. One baselayer depending on expected high/low temp and I'm good to go. Love the fit, feel and quality of this jacket.

I was the fortunate recepient of a Fugu Jacket last Christmas. While I thought this would be better then the AirJack, I can tell you I tried it a couple of times and wasn't overly impressed. First for me, I seemed to be between L and XL on the sizing chart. Secondly, I didn't like the hood as I typically wear a balaclava for winter cycling. Overall thought the quality was stellar.

On the subject of winter apparel, I rec'd an email from Wabi Woolens this morning. 2 Day sale started today. Here's from the broadcast email: So here's the deal: for Tuesday-Wednesday, October 18th and 19th only, these new Sport Series jerseys will be available for $145 (long sleeve) and $130 (short sleeve) - including shipping. To get this price (on these two days only), you have to use promo code "Sport2011" at checkout. WWW.WABIWOOLENS.COM. Long sleeve will ship immediately, and short sleeve in a week.

The new sport jerseys look really nice if you are into wool cycling jersey. Further to my comments on the Assos AirJack, there was no way you could wear the AirJack and the Wabi Woolens jersey as they were combined just too hot.

Anyway, I do have some Assos bibs and considered them very nice, and excellent quality.

Bob

r_mutt
10-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Unlike Capo and Rapha, Assos develops, designs and manufactures most, if not all, of their apparel. Rapha and Capo are essentially distributors disguised as designers/marketers. Capo does have an awesome fit tho. And, yes, it's all been said before ad nauseam.

both Capo and Rapha design their own kit. they do not buy off-the-shelf and re-brand them. isn't that obvious? Capo is designed in California but made in Italy. The fabric they use on their top line kit are swiss (re: same as Assos).

1centaur
10-19-2011, 05:05 AM
I like Assos bibs but have not bought their winter bibs since learning that "strategicially placed" wind protection always strategically excluded parts I wanted to protect. Gore Bike Wear winter bibs for full protection and good flexibility, and very well made.

FlashUNC
10-19-2011, 05:29 AM
I got hooked on Rapha after buying a pair of their winter tights. Easily the best thing I own. Really smartly designed and nicely put together.

And they keep my legs warm.

Bob Ross
10-19-2011, 10:36 AM
what the hell, I'll chime in another +1 for the Assos Airjack 851.

I got mine as a gift from my wife 3 winters ago, and I continue to be astonished at how warm -- without being too hot -- it is. With just a single baselayer I'm comfortable riding down to ~25°F; add a jersey as a middle layer and I'm good down into the mid-teens. (Haven't had any opportunities to try it in the single digits...not that I'm in any hurry to find out!)

Fits great, has lots of usable pockets, no pilling or tearing or evidence of shoddy workmanship I can discern...and damn, I look good wearing it.

shankldu
10-19-2011, 11:59 AM
I just purchased a capo jacket on realcyclist with an msrp of $200 for $79 and i love it has airblock fabric in front same fit as assos . I like assos as well but overpriced never got to wear it but i bought an airblock jacket in an xl befor i realized they were eurofag tight and sold it on the bay.

Joachim
10-19-2011, 12:02 PM
i realized they were eurofag tight

Wow :no: .... or maybe I'm too sensitive to such statements, but that makes me really uncomfortable.

AngryScientist
10-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Wow :no: ....

i agree, it's fine to not like a product, but no need to bash others.

pdmtong
10-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Capo is what pearl izumi should have become. I think they totally nail the price/value equation. yes assos pieces can be "better" but you will have to pay for that improvement. with realcyclist and bonktown blowing out capo at 50% off, those on budgets need look no further. great stuff, durable, fit well and last long. have you noticed they've taken over a lot of the custom work for organized rides and shops?

as for rapha...love that stuff but only on sale

Jim Braley
10-19-2011, 02:00 PM
I will wear nothing but Assos bib shorts having tried numerous other options. Price is steep but worth it to me. I have had several minor QC issues and worked direcftly with Assos USA as opposed to the dealer and they were extremely helpful and concerned and took care of the issue by repalcing the product. I do not wear anything else ASSOS due to price and feel that the bibs are so critical to my riding comfort that the price is worth it. My primary vendor for other apparel is Craft both for baselayer stuff and outer layers. It is a relatively small company and i personally think their stuff is wonderful. At 35 degrees or slightly less I wear an Assos long sleeve Windstopper Base layer(has a layer of GoreTex over the chest portion) and either a Craft long sleeve jersey or a Craft Jacket and it works great for me but I realize that may not work for everyone. They also have a cap with GoreTex and it keeps my ears and top of head nice and warm I live in the mountains of North GA and ride all winter except days when it is snowing or raining and temp is below 25 or 30.