View Full Version : wind

Fixed
10-17-2011, 05:51 PM
with- beautiful , bike is great, i am strong ,no chain
against - p.o.s., something is rubbing, i suck ,got to oil the chain
cheers

fiamme red
10-17-2011, 05:58 PM
"You never have the wind with you - either it's against you or you're having a good day."
--Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

jvp
10-17-2011, 06:47 PM
I remember once at Emerald Isle, NC, I rode the beach road for ~15 miles or so, didn't really pay attention to the wind when I started because I felt none. Felt really strong, I was flying. This on a track bike. I finally turned around and crawled my way back. I had to stand occasionally for the stronger gusts. Learned then to head into the wind for an out and back ride.

thinpin
10-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Age 17 rode 70miles east in howling wind to see blues man Rory Gallagher live. Did it in just under 3 hours. Concert finished at 5 wind did a 180 - rode home in 3 hours flat.
I will never forget that day.

Steve in SLO
10-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Wind is just free resistance training.

rain dogs
10-17-2011, 07:20 PM
The only time I really, really detest heavy wind is when I'm travelling-touring. Then, it just seems like a cruel, evil torture. You're just trying to get from one place to the next, and enjoy the landscape, but instead it's head down hammering...only to slowly crawl, over the entire day, to where you're trying to get to next.

Everytime I tour, then wind seems to be in my face.

rustychisel
10-17-2011, 07:20 PM
wind is what gives those annoying skinny climbing types a taste of my medicine when we're on a flat coastal ride.

93legendti
10-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Nornally I don't mind the wind, but the last coupke of days it has been cooler and the wind has been howling, so I did alternate workouts. I just couldn't get excited about a wind ride.

pdmtong
10-17-2011, 07:56 PM
when it's windy, I go windsurfing and leave the bike on the hook

palincss
10-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Anybody ride the Seagull on Saturday? Talk about wind...!

rounder
10-17-2011, 09:34 PM
I rode the Seagull on Saturday. Drove down on Friday, saw hail beating off the car while packing. Drove through rain and lightning to OC. Sun broke out when we got there. Sky cleared.

Saturday morning was beautiful...lots of sun and wailing wind. Can't remember a bluer sky. The wind was relentless...i dunno about 20-30 mph all day. Got blown around alot. Not sure, but maybe they schedule the ride so that it can fit in with the weather. Last year, weather was beautiful in all respects. This year was really pretty, but challenging. It was fun.

palincss
10-18-2011, 06:40 AM
It's rained every other year I've done it. I thought the weather was a very pleasant change from that track record, although I did miss seeing the large numbers of people fixing flat tires. Far fewer accidents than in previous years as well: only 2 riders down, although one appeared to be quite serious; and (unlike last time) nobody crashed right in front of me, so no evasive maneuvers required.

I like the new (Snow Hill) route a lot. Much niceer than the old route.