PDA

View Full Version : Disc brake conversion question

rwsaunders
10-17-2011, 02:26 PM
I have a Poprad frame which came with both canti bosses and disc tabs on the rear of the frame. I've been thinking of getting a Salsa steel CX fork with disc tabs and getting rid of the cantis.

As I don't race cross and don't really go off road with any intensity, what wheels and brake system make sense for this type of build? For reference purposes, I currently run a DA 9-speed drivetrain.

My other thought was to search for a Poprad already outfitted with discs and just sell the current ride....cost benefit analysis if you will.

Thanks

SpeedyChix
10-17-2011, 02:38 PM
I have a Poprad frame which came with both canti bosses and disc tabs on the rear of the frame. I've been thinking of getting a Salsa steel CX fork with disc tabs and getting rid of the cantis.

As I don't race cross and don't really go off road with any intensity, what wheels and brake system make sense for this type of build? For reference purposes, I currently run a DA 9-speed drivetrain.

My other thought was to search for a Poprad already outfitted with discs and just sell the current ride....cost benefit analysis if you will.

Thanks

Avid BB-7 discs are avail for road levers and would let you retain the ease of an integrated cable system. King, White Industries, DT all make fine disc hubs, is the rear spacing on the bike 135 or 130?

pdmtong
10-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Avid BB-7 is the standard. Uses existing lever cable pull. Would love to know what insiders believe is the future direction for road disc. I cant see hydraulic anytime soon becasue of the reservoir body needed - how would that work with existing road levers? so that leaves cable systems and BB-7 is proven...

Cat3roadracer
10-17-2011, 03:02 PM
I have a pair of Surly SS disc wheels if you would like.

Ken Robb
10-17-2011, 04:43 PM
do you descend steep hills at high velocity in the rain? If not, why bother?

rwsaunders
10-17-2011, 04:56 PM
do you descend steep hills at high velocity in the rain? If not, why bother?

Yes Ken, the weather here is wet quite often and the terrain can be steep at times. In terms of velocity, the lack of quality braking in wet conditions often has me going fast when I don't want to, if you know what I mean.

I might just search for a disc version of this bike as opposed to making the conversion. The Avid suggestion has been very helpful.

d_man16
10-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Toss a set of bb-7's on they work great!......Better than great I'd say that they offer about 90% of the stopping power of hydros with the added benefit of easy of serviceability (they follow the K.I.S.S. model)

someone has hotroded a R1 lever (http://blog.ahrensbicycles.com/2011/07/324-labs-brake-adapter-system-now.html) to run a set of formula's via drop bars but I'd say that it's still got a long way to go.

but from an even more pragmatic stance-

properly adjusted canti's or v's will do the trick just fine.

~D

blantonator
10-17-2011, 05:56 PM
make sure to get bb7 road brakes, there is a mtb specific caliper as well.

xjoex
10-17-2011, 10:04 PM
RW- Road BB7s will be perfect. I have been running mine for the last 3 years without problems. Buy nice brake cables though for the best performance over time. I use the Avid Flak Jackets and ride the heck out of my cx bike. I have not replaced them in two years!

As for wheels, it depends if it is 130 or 135mm spaced. If they are 135mm then any 29er disc wheel will work or the Mavic Speed City. If they are 130, ask around at the "Trek Store" they probably have some Bontrager wheels available.

-Joe

rice rocket
10-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Ah, is good cables the key?

I built a CX frame, Sora levers, BB7 calipers, and they were mushier, less direct, and less powerful than my DA7800 setup. But maybe I had too high of expectations for disc brakes.

The Poprads are 130mm spaced from what I remember, but they're all steel and can be cold set easily to 135mm.

TomP
10-18-2011, 07:05 AM
Toss a set of bb-7's on they work great!......Better than great I'd say that they offer about 90% of the stopping power of hydros with the added benefit of easy of serviceability (they follow the K.I.S.S. model)

someone has hotroded a R1 lever (http://blog.ahrensbicycles.com/2011/07/324-labs-brake-adapter-system-now.html) to run a set of formula's via drop bars but I'd say that it's still got a long way to go.

but from an even more pragmatic stance-

properly adjusted canti's or v's will do the trick just fine.

~D

I agree here with D.

I just went back to THE Guru Mr. Sheldon Brown's web site and studied my Canti set up. Changed it and they work great. I had BB-7's on a MTB in the past. I would say they are on par with linear pull "V" brakes.