PDA

View Full Version : Giro di Lombardia Spoiler

MattTuck
10-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Not sure a post has been up about this one...

last time it was raced in this time slot. Now it's being moved up to September.

And Kudos to Oliver Zaugg for his first professional win. he picked a good one.

MattTuck
10-17-2011, 09:38 PM
I guess the tour of the falling leaves is the red headed step child of the Monuments.

echappist
10-17-2011, 09:54 PM
I guess the tour of the falling leaves is the red headed step child of the Monuments.
it's not. i thought it was a fantastic race

oldpotatoe
10-18-2011, 08:29 AM
it's not. i thought it was a fantastic race

Me too. Great last race of the season every year. It kinda gets lost among the World's, Vuelta, etc but one of the 5 monuments of one day classic racing.

Lovetoclimb
10-18-2011, 10:19 AM
I missed the details on the decision to move the race from October to September . . . competition draw? Interference with newly minted Chinese races? UCI Overlording?

rain dogs
10-18-2011, 10:27 AM

I may not understand this completely, but I take it to mean "The odd one out", which I completely disagree with.

Lombardia is a fantastic monument, it's the most geographically beautiful, it has (arguably) the most significant 'monument to the monument' in the Madonna del Ghisallo, especially now that the Kapelmuur is being axed.

Furthermore, it's longevity second to none, having only missed two editions due to war (unlike LBL missing 24editions) and has run the second most number of Editions at 105 only second to Roubaix having run 107.

I think anyone could likely make an equal argument as to why one of the other five monuments are just as deserving to be one of the five...... and that's why there are five monuments.

MattTuck
10-18-2011, 10:30 AM
I missed the details on the decision to move the race from October to September . . . competition draw? Interference with newly minted Chinese races? UCI Overlording?

All of the above?

I think the big reason was to make way for the Tour of Bejing to close out the World Tour calendar. Strategic decision to try to create interest in cycling from a huge market. Not sure if it will work. Sad to see the classics modified, but at the same time, sometimes shaking things up can breath new life and vigor into established institutions.

I think the reason there's more interest in MSR, RvV, PR, LBL is because people are really hungry for cycling after the winter. Lombardia comes at the end of a long season, people have cycling fatigue.

echappist
10-18-2011, 01:45 PM
All of the above?

I think the big reason was to make way for the Tour of Bejing to close out the World Tour calendar. Strategic decision to try to create interest in cycling from a huge market. Not sure if it will work. Sad to see the classics modified, but at the same time, sometimes shaking things up can breath new life and vigor into established institutions.

I think the reason there's more interest in MSR, RvV, PR, LBL is because people are really hungry for cycling after the winter. Lombardia comes at the end of a long season, people have cycling fatigue.

i never do. To think it'll be another 5 months to Omloop Het Nieuwsblad... Shudders...

there's gotta be a methadone that can help to wean me off of road cycling for a bit

MattTuck
10-18-2011, 03:51 PM
I may not understand this completely, but I take it to mean "The odd one out", which I completely disagree with.

I only meant that based on the lack of response to the thread. As I recall, RvV and PR have threads of many pages on this forum, dedicated to debate of race performance and monday morning quarterbacking of JV's strategy for Garmin (I was atleast guilty of doing this in the spring).

A post about GdL barely got a peep. That's all I was referring to.

I agree that it deserves it's place as a Monument, and especially with the Ghisallo.

I'm planning to go to RvV and PR next year, so I can't wait for next season either.