PDA

View Full Version : OT: Niners fans rejoice - Lovin' Harbaugh!

wooly
10-17-2011, 10:12 AM
After growing up in the Montana years, enjoying the Steve Young years and being beat down for the last 10 plus years I am really enjoying the SF Niners season so far. I admit that I really enjoyed the Detroit Lions / SF Niners game yesterday. I felt like my dad when trying to avoid the score on the radio, discussions with friends, etc, until I got home from my son's baseball game to watch the game on the DVR. What a great game! But Love Harbaugh's passion even more. Did any of you see the supposedly little coach tussle that ensued after the game? I didn't - my DVR cut off right as the game finished. Read about it this morning and watched the video. I have to call BS on Schwartz taking issue with Harbaugh's supposed shove. Just a guy too excited to throttle back a hearty pat on the back :D . Anyway, this thread will probably die quickly but having grown up in SF in the 70's and 80's I am lovin' it!

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/751273/harbaugh.gif

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/836150/129390268_extra_large.jpg

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/836165/92963_APTOPIX_49ers_Lions_Football.jpg

eddief
10-17-2011, 10:25 AM
it is fun to be watching the Niners doing some winning. Yesterday's game was a nail biter and they'd be 6 and 0 except for a little tiny fart in the game they lost. should be more kicks going forward. go 9'ers.

another interesting thing about that game was the degree to which the play reviews by the officials were pivotal in the outcome. think they mostly got it right.

i can't quite imagine that Harbaugh said anything nasty to Schwartz. H was obviously beside himself with excitement and there was near bedlam on the field. just some little glitch for the media to focus on and blow out of proportion. maybe he said - "i am so f-ing happy i could do a back flip into the end zone."

rice rocket
10-17-2011, 10:39 AM
I saw the name Harbaugh and immediately assumed his brother, John. Made me wonder why Baltimore would give up their head coach that consistently got them to the playoffs. Then I found out there were two Harbaughs!

azrider
10-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Schwartz reaction was ridiculous. It's coaches responsiblity to tell players to be bigger man and walk away from any sort of confrontation, and what does he do ? he chases Harbaugh down field for 30 yards? Cause Harbaugh grabbed his hand too hard? wah wah wah

Plus, go back and watch Schwartz reaction after winning the first 4 games of the year and the guy is just as emotional, and he should be. But to be a sore loser and get his panties in a wad like he did yesterday was an embarrassment.

fourflys
10-17-2011, 10:44 AM
been a Harbaugh fan since he played with the Colts, really liked him then... I agree the back slap thing was just what it was, too much enthusiasm...

wooly
10-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Ah, I forgot about John Harbaugh. Jim is definitely the more fire'y of the two.

And what about the number of false starts - Detroit's stadium must be frickin' loud.

wooly
10-17-2011, 10:48 AM
been a Harbaugh fan since he played with the Colts, really liked him then... I agree the back slap thing was just what it was, too much enthusiasm...

I didn't really start appreciating him until he started putting it to my Trojans. And honestly, when Pete Carroll left SC I was hoping they went hard for Harbaugh. But the second best thing happened with him going to SF.

Fixed
10-17-2011, 10:55 AM
2 jerks imho
cheers

jr59
10-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Both of those coaches are high strung! To say the least!

It's good to see both of those teams turn it around and adapt there coaches personality.

I love how Harbaugh pulls out his shirt as he is running to mid field.

wooly
10-17-2011, 11:08 AM
2 jerks imho
cheers
I get that Fixed. I think he just let's his passion show a bit more than others. And I think his players buy into him. I read an article about him in Sports Illustrated and came to appreciate his personality.

FlashUNC
10-17-2011, 11:16 AM
2 jerks imho
cheers

+1. Both guys were out of line.

Don't act like you just won the Super Bowl in week 6, and don't respond when someone's a jerk.

But bad blood makes for interesting football. Be interesting if these guys cross paths in the playoffs.

Fixed
10-17-2011, 11:22 AM
s.f. 48 - t.b. 3
cheers

wooly
10-17-2011, 11:26 AM
s.f. 48 - t.b. 3
cheers

That was sweet. :banana: Oops, sorry Fixed. I feel like Harbaugh right now. :crap:

MadRocketSci
10-17-2011, 11:55 AM
was great watching him turn Stanford around. glad to see he's doing the same to the 9'ers...and still making friends with opposing coaches (a la Pete Carroll).

sucks I didn't extend the recording on my dvr another 30 minutes...

Waldo
10-17-2011, 12:45 PM
was great watching him turn Stanford around. glad to see he's doing the same to the 9'ers...and still making friends with opposing coaches (a la Pete Carroll).

sucks I didn't extend the recording on my dvr another 30 minutes...

Glad Harbaugh is out of Snodfart. Soon S will be out of Luck and things will be back to normal.

Cal '85

jeo99
10-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Harbaugh was an idiot at Michigan and I see he is still an idiot!(look where I live) Yea they were both wrong but acting like that after beating the Lions? Come on it was the Lions for goodness sakes. He needs to keep his reactions with his team not the opposing team. Did you see all the responses from the narrators particularly coach Cower! I think Cower was about to say something he thought better of. As a famous football coach once said. Act like you've been there before. My $.02

:beer:

Ozz
10-17-2011, 01:13 PM
2 jerks imho
cheers
"gentlemen coaches" ???

Sorry, this is the NFL..... :cool:

I am going with Schwartz being the bigger schmuck....low class to whoop it up while congratulating the loser, but it goes to a new low to chase the guy down and bump him and to try and pick a fight for doing it it. Better to just smile, shake your head and walk away....If he wanted some payback, then come up with something witty to say to the reporters that makes the other guy look like the jerk.

Frankly, the "backslap" didn't look like that big a deal....I think Schwartz was just pissed he lost and his dog wasn't around to kick. :no:

JonB
10-17-2011, 01:23 PM
I saw Harbaugh as being the jerk in this one. He instigated the confrontation. Yeah, Schwartz shouldn't have responded, but then again, I wonder how Harbaugh would've reacted if the situation was reversed.

rwsaunders
10-17-2011, 01:24 PM
fwiw, I've been coaching U-12 and U-14 soccer for nearly 20 seasons, and there are moments when you whoop it up after the match with your players and coaches, and there are moments when the clock didn't run out too soon.

It's pretty much a given that when you're in line shaking the hands of the opposing players and coaches, you show your respect for them and the game.

crownjewelwl
10-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Glad Harbaugh is out of Snodfart. Soon S will be out of Luck and things will be back to normal.

Cal '85

Snodfart huh? Still bitter you didnt get in? :beer:

WL Stanford '97

laupsi
10-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Being from the other land of Harbaugh I think it was blown out of proportion. I can understand JH's excitement, The Lions are on target to be one of the best teams in the NFL this year. It was a big win considering SF's recent record, the excitement shown by JH showed just how much he loves his job, shows the amount of effort put forth in preparing for this game.

BTW, the Ravens are awesome and come T-Day the real game to watch won't be the one showing those very same Lions vs The Packers... :beer:

Waldo
10-17-2011, 01:33 PM

WL Stanford '97

That's what you all Farmers think. Wasn't interested and didn't apply.

wooly
10-17-2011, 01:50 PM

Love these rivalries.

MadRocketSci
10-17-2011, 01:55 PM

All right now...baby itsa all righht noww....

Ozz
10-17-2011, 02:03 PM
It's pretty much a given that when you're in line shaking the hands of the opposing players and coaches, you show your respect for them and the game.
Coach here as well..... and you are absolutely right. :beer:

Both coaches were wrong....Schwartz just "more wrong" cuz he reacted, pursued and escalated the confrontation.

rice rocket
10-17-2011, 02:44 PM
<snip>....Schwartz just "more wrong" cuz he reacted, pursued and escalated the confrontation.

Really? Harbaugh clearly didn't show respect for his competitor, his actions spoke more like "good game, sucker! I WHOOPED YOUR SORRY ASS!" Words may have been different, but they wouldn't have been sincere if they were any different.

fuzzalow
10-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Whooping it up like a victorious frat boy and simply let fly his inner id. -or-

Pursuit and confrontation over an exaggerated sense of "diss" like an insecure, puffed bravado gang-banger in the hood.

What ever happened to the dignity and self-respect of behaving like the adult in the room amidst the chaos of jubilation or the disappointment of defeat?

These coaches are off the wall, no excuse for either. The fact that there are sides drawn that defend or condone either of these coaches actions is the more troubling element of all this.

Climb01742
10-17-2011, 02:50 PM
i believe in sportsmanship...but for 60 minutes, not a faux bit of theatre at the end of the game. unless you're 12 or under, the post-game handshake seems like a pointless charade...or asking for a fight. ;)

vqdriver
10-17-2011, 02:51 PM
i'm generally of the anti-harbaugh persuasion. he's comes off like a petty bitter sort of jackass. but i wouldn't say he started anything here. as much i want to blame him, he just seems genuinely caught up in the excitement. it isn't until schwartz confronts him does his inner-douche come out. he could have easily replied "my bad, got carried away" and walked off the better man.

congrats so far on a good season, but overall there's no winners here.

pdmtong
10-17-2011, 02:52 PM

WL Stanford '97

I did get in but went to Cal. GO BEARS!

eddief
10-17-2011, 02:54 PM
go get em.

wooly
10-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Damn - I didn't think think that this would turn into a Harbaugh debate. But nonetheless, a lot of good points made here. Yeah, he should've had a bit more class but I'm ok with it. He was pumped and lost himself in the game. A game that grown men get to play and make a living. I wish I was that lucky.

Good going eddief! :D

pdmtong
10-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Raiders - 9ers

A's - Giants

Eastbay - peninsula

have nots - haves

oh yea, and then norcal - socal

you'd have to live here to know.

I grew up in the east bay and now live in the heart of the peninsula. the nice bubble wrapped homegeneuous peninsula.

however, weather and riding are GREAT!

wooly
10-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Raiders - 9ers

A's - Giants

Eastbay - peninsula

have nots - haves

I grew up in the east bay and now live in the heart of the peninsula. the nice bubble wrapped homegeneuous peninsula.

My mom is the oldest of 10 kids and we have a million relatives in the city. I get up there all of the time. Even still have a place on California & Jones. We need to get a beer the next time I'm up!

MadRocketSci
10-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Raiders - 9ers

A's - Giants

Eastbay - peninsula

have nots - haves

you forgot Paly - Gunn

Fixed
10-17-2011, 03:23 PM
"gentlemen coaches" ???

Sorry, this is the NFL..... :cool:

I am going with Schwartz being the bigger schmuck....low class to whoop it up while congratulating the loser, but it goes to a new low to chase the guy down and bump him and to try and pick a fight for doing it it. Better to just smile, shake your head and walk away....If he wanted some payback, then come up with something witty to say to the reporters that makes the other guy look like the jerk.

Frankly, the "backslap" didn't look like that big a deal....I think Schwartz was just pissed he lost and his dog wasn't around to kick. :no:
i guess i grew up in the 60's
coats and ties this guy was a gent
imho
cheers

Ozz
10-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Really? Harbaugh clearly didn't show respect for his competitor, his actions spoke more like "good game, sucker! I WHOOPED YOUR SORRY ASS!" Words may have been different, but they wouldn't have been sincere if they were any different.
Geez!! You "snipped" the best part...."both coaches were wrong"

Granted, Harbaugh was wrong first, but Schwartz should have let it go...bump the guy?? Chase him down the field?? If he walks away the issue is non-event and no one knows about it but him.....now they both look like jerks.

FWIW - To me, Harbaughs actions looked more like "Yay we won..I wanna jump around with my team but I need to shake hands with the other coach first." It was a mindless formality he had to do....but you are right, it was not sincere...probably wasn't in the other 10 or so games played yesterday either.

Fixed - I feel ya, bro. :beer:

pdmtong
10-17-2011, 03:28 PM
My mom is the oldest of 10 kids and we have a million relatives in the city. I get up there all of the time. Even still have a place on California & Jones. We need to get a beer the next time I'm up!

yup. my wife is a sf native (lowell hs etc.) one day after daughter is out of the house we'll be living in the building she grew up in, filbert and steiner. lovely neighborhood except I'll look out of place without a ponytail, small dog, yoga pants talking on my iphone while eating a cupcake. until recent change of events, only half block from the two drool factories...city cycle and bike nut.

wooly, dont discount the rapha rides. fun and good coffee! BTW, I really wanted your harelequin IF...way back when

pdmtong
10-17-2011, 03:28 PM
you forgot Paly - Gunn

ha! so easy to overlook yet right here in the back yard as it were

wooly
10-17-2011, 04:02 PM
yup. my wife is a sf native (lowell hs etc.) one day after daughter is out of the house we'll be living in the building she grew up in, filbert and steiner. lovely neighborhood except I'll look out of place without a ponytail, small dog, yoga pants talking on my iphone while eating a cupcake. until recent change of events, only half block from the two drool factories...city cycle and bike nut.

wooly, dont discount the rapha rides. fun and good coffee! BTW, I really wanted your harelequin IF...way back when

Hilarious - I thought everyone in the city looked like you. I will definitely hit the rapha ride and the shops. Been meaning to do that for a while now.

Climb01742
10-17-2011, 04:03 PM
imho
cheers

unfortunately, for every tom landry there was a woody hayes. :beer:

attire may change, but i'm afraid coaches don't.

Fixed
10-17-2011, 05:28 PM
unfortunately, for every tom landry there was a woody hayes. :beer:

attire may change, but i'm afraid coaches don't.

yes' volatile temper ended his career. On December 29, 1978, Ohio State played in the Gator Bowl against Clemson. Late in the fourth quarter, the Buckeyes were down by two points. Freshman quarterback Art Schlichter drove the Buckeyes down the field into field goal range. On 3rd and 5 at the Clemson 24-yard line with 2:30 left and the clock running, Hayes called a pass rather than a run because Schlichter was having a great game up to that point.
The pass was intercepted by Clemson nose guard Charlie Bauman, who returned it toward the OSU sideline where he was run out of bounds; after Bauman rose to his feet and looked in the direction of the OSU players, Hayes punched him in the throat, starting a bench-clearing brawl. Hayes then stormed onto the field and abused the referee. When one of Hayes' own players, offensive lineman Ken Fritz, tried to intervene, Hayes turned on him and had to be restrained by defensive coordinator George Hill. The Buckeyes were assessed two 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalties for Hayes' punch on Bauman and his abuse of the referee, and Hayes was ejected. Bauman was not injured by Hayes' punch and shrugged the incident off. Even though the game was being telecast by ABC, announcers Keith Jackson and Ara Parseghian did not comment about the punch.

thanks for the memory
i remember it well
cheers

tele
10-17-2011, 06:06 PM
imho
cheers
the new suit and tie? :)
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/62538017@N07/6255179897/]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6228/6255179897_785f520674.jpg

swPArider
10-17-2011, 06:18 PM
funny how people get bent out of shape over the dumbest stuff. i always get a good laugh when something like that happens in baseball. somebody will hit a homer and round the bases a little too slow for the other teams liking and it will practically spark a bench clearing brawl.

beeatnik
10-17-2011, 06:37 PM
I didn't really start appreciating him until he started putting it to my Trojans. And honestly, when Pete Carroll left SC I was hoping they went hard for Harbaugh. But the second best thing happened with him going to SF.

Wanted the Lions to pull it out, but glad to see Harbaugh out-coaching that douchebag Carroll. Maybe if Carroll wasn't regularly partying at LA Live with 19 year old rappers, the Seahawks would be approaching relevance like the Niners.

JonB
10-18-2011, 05:25 AM
Let's imagine you're hosting a poker game @ your home. A new guy comes over, wins all the money with a big hand at the end of the night. As he's getting ready to leave he's so full of himself he gives you the big handshake, and slap on the back that pushes you out of the way so he can walk out the front door. What's your reaction?

laupsi
10-18-2011, 08:02 AM
Let's imagine you're hosting a poker game @ your home. A new guy comes over, wins all the money with a big hand at the end of the night. As he's getting ready to leave he's so full of himself he gives you the big handshake, and slap on the back that pushes you out of the way so he can walk out the front door. What's your reaction?

poker? not a relevant example. Harbaugh was wrong, but not outwardly until he refused to apologize. JS was wrong by pushing the issue. period, over, done!

wooly
10-18-2011, 11:02 AM
I was kind of hoping the Niners would have been front runners for the Suck for Luck campaign. Well I guess that won't be happening.

rugbysecondrow
10-18-2011, 11:10 AM
No punches, no blood, no actual violence. It was a forceful handshake and some chicken hawking afterwards.

Since when did we get all worked up over a handshake and exchanging of words between competitors? ???? happens sometimes, people are worked up, environments are heated, they act out sometimes, lord knows I have been known to throw a punch or three when maybe I should have been more judicious or restrained.

Really truly, nothing to see there folks, nothing happend.

I only wish John was half as good a quarterback as he is a coach, then maybe the Chicago Bears would have been better than they were.

Fixed
10-18-2011, 11:17 AM
respect for the opponent ?
without him, there can be no victory
imho
cheers

MadRocketSci
10-18-2011, 11:17 AM
I was kind of hoping the Niners would have been front runners for the Suck for Luck campaign. Well I guess that won't be happening.

Go Fish! Go Colts!

love,
J.Elway

bobswire
10-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Frankly us 9er fans were more focused on the game not the media's focus who made this the story.
9ers defense is awesome and the offense is playing within their (Smiths)abilities.

fourflys
10-18-2011, 01:41 PM
I only wish John was half as good a quarterback as he is a coach, then maybe the Chicago Bears would have been better than they were.

or the Colts... luckily, I was a Niners fan until the Colts moved to Indy so I can root for Harbaugh anyway... ;) and yes, I was a Colts fan BEFORE Peyton got there... I suffered through the Jeff George years... :crap:

fourflys
10-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Go Fish! Go Colts!

love,
J.Elway

I'm not sure the Colts wouldn't trade the pick for Luck away to get more key personnel... that is if Manning comes out clean by draft time...

fourflys
10-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Frankly us 9er fans were more focused on the game not the media's focus who made this the story.
9ers defense is awesome and the offense is playing within their (Smiths)abilities.

I think Smith is doing awesome...

rice rocket
01-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Bump.

I only caught the last quarter, but what a finish.

clweed
01-14-2012, 07:12 PM
One helluva great game!

fourflys
01-14-2012, 07:26 PM
might be the best of the playoffs... :hello:

beeatnik
01-14-2012, 07:29 PM
An instant classic. Go Niners!

rugbysecondrow
01-14-2012, 07:40 PM
might be the best of the playoffs... :hello:

Ditto, great game. Davis is a beast!

fogrider
01-14-2012, 07:49 PM
NOBODY!!!!

great game! smith on the boot leg! and davis with 2 touchdowns!

jr59
01-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Sad day in the Big Easy! :crap:

Good game. Good luck the rest of the year!

Jeff N.
01-14-2012, 09:01 PM
I really didn't think Brees would lose this one. Saints left too much time on the clock after their last score. Great going, 'Niners. Tough sunzabeeches.

Dekonick
01-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Great game. Now, watching Denver get slaughtered... painful :crap: :crap:

I knew Denver would probably not win, but I think they left the defense in Colorado...

Will Fox ever let Tebow throw? :crap:

Jeff N.
01-14-2012, 09:05 PM
...for Tebow tonight. I fear it'll get much worse before the game's over.

rice rocket
01-14-2012, 09:07 PM
3/10, and you blame Fox?

Hell, blame the receivers for the dropped passes first.

Dekonick
01-14-2012, 09:13 PM
3/10, and you blame Fox?

Hell, blame the receivers for the dropped passes first.

Oh, I agree - dropped passes. But - the reason (besides butter fingers) is the pats have shut down the option. They need to pay a little for doing that... I say drop a few long passes on 1st down. Every expects Den to run, run, run (possibly pass...)

The kid has to try at some point, heck - the game is lost, why not try some of the crazy plays?

At least make it interesting...

akelman
01-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Oh my, hide the women and children. I'm sorry firerescuefin.

akelman
01-14-2012, 09:16 PM
What are the chances that Brady ends up with 666 yards?

rwsaunders
01-14-2012, 09:38 PM
The Miss America pageant is on now in case anyone is bored with this game....

mbrtool
01-14-2012, 09:39 PM
666, had to laugh

daker13
01-14-2012, 11:52 PM
A thoroughly awesome game, almost made up for all the time I spent hearing about what an amazing qb/human being Tim Tebow is over the past four weeks. Evil!

Climb01742
01-15-2012, 05:33 AM
first game all season that the pats played well on both sides of the ball. pretty impressive.

but yowza, was the last 3 minutes of the saints-niners game something! way to go niners.

rugbysecondrow
01-15-2012, 06:30 AM
A thoroughly awesome game, almost made up for all the time I spent hearing about what an amazing qb/human being Tim Tebow is over the past four weeks. Evil!

Haters gonna hate.

indyrider
01-15-2012, 06:39 AM
Haters gonna hate.

I think its just called a Pats fan...