PDA

View Full Version : Question on Speedplay pedals and stability

tmatters
10-16-2011, 08:48 AM
This sounds stupid, but thought I'd ask the question. I recently converted to Speedplay pedals from Look. For some reason I feel less stable, particularly at slower speeds. I have about 500 miles on them, and can't imaging why this would be the case. But I can't shake the feeling. Prior to Look I rode the original Sampson pedals (from the early 90s until they completely fell apart).

Has anybody else experienced this, or can think of a reason why this would be the case?

avalonracing
10-16-2011, 08:51 AM
I went to Speedplay Zeros after riding Look, Shimano, & Time for well over a decade. For about two days the Speedplays felt like walking on ice on the ball of my foot but since then I've felt fine in them even when sprinting or doing a fast standing climb.

AngryScientist
10-16-2011, 08:56 AM
yea, you'll get used to it, i feel rock solid in mine, have never inadvertently pulled out or anything like that. great pedals IMO (zero user here).

if in doubt, just remember that a ton of riders in the pro peloton use speedplays, with good success, it's always proof enough that if a piece of equipment can be punished by the pros over the alps, andes, pyranees, etc, then they are good enough for me:)

Charles M
10-16-2011, 09:47 PM
In speedplay's words, "Do the math"...

You simply have a narrower area of contact and less friction in float.

You'll very likely get used to it and LOADS of people love the system. It works like a champ, is secure, has fantastic engagement and release (and great range)... Loads of pluses, but a lot of people very simply find other platforms where the contact is spread wider to be more stable.

It's very simply a personal pref thing.

johnnymossville
10-16-2011, 09:56 PM
I switched from Shimano several years ago after coming out of my pedals a few times at the end of some races. I'm pretty cheap, but that kinda pissed me off so I figured I'd give speedplay zeroes a try.

I know some poeple hate them, but I Love'm. haven't come out of them EVER, except when I want to. It'll take quite a special pedal to pull me away from my speedplays.

oldpotatoe
10-17-2011, 07:42 AM
This sounds stupid, but thought I'd ask the question. I recently converted to Speedplay pedals from Look. For some reason I feel less stable, particularly at slower speeds. I have about 500 miles on them, and can't imaging why this would be the case. But I can't shake the feeling. Prior to Look I rode the original Sampson pedals (from the early 90s until they completely fell apart).

Has anybody else experienced this, or can think of a reason why this would be the case?

X series(lotsa float) or Zeros? Even the literature says that X series are like 'walking on ice', you dom't really seem 'attached' to the pedal. Why SP made Zeros. Much more secure type feeling, adjustable rather than nearly umlimited flat...

oldguy00
10-17-2011, 08:57 AM
If you have zeros, remember that you can dial down the amount of float if needed, using the two adjustment screws on the cleats.
That might help you have an easier time getting used to them.

Joel
10-17-2011, 11:28 AM
I've been on zero's for quite a few years now and love them.

About 90% of my road riding is fixed gear -- so I definitely don't want to come out of a pedal! No issues at all.

As mentioned above I keep the float bolted down to just a minimum.

fourflys
10-17-2011, 11:57 AM
tried the speedplays a couple years ago, came off Shimano SPD-SL... never got used to the un-secure feeling and went back to my Shimano's... haven't look back since... after 500 miles, I would think you'd have a good idea...

the other thing I didn't care for was having to carry the cleat covers for if I stopped at a cafe or something... the cleat mech seemed to get scarred up VERY quickly without the covers... I like the stability of the Shimano cleats for when I do have to walk... not a big deal since we are mostly riding, but just something that made a difference to me...

fourflys
10-17-2011, 11:58 AM
About 90% of my road riding is fixed gear -- so I definitely don't want to come out of a pedal! No issues at all.

have NEVER came close to coming out of my pedals... maybe I'm just not powerful enough... :D

oldpotatoe
10-17-2011, 12:09 PM
I've been on zero's for quite a few years now and love them.

As mentioned above I keep the float bolted down to just a minimum.

WHY I went to SP zero initially-fixie disease(much better now), 2 sided, easier to get into. Switched to Sp all the bikes, fixie gone but use Zeros, love the pedal.

rounder
10-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Speedplay X. I have been riding them for about 15 years. Originally was riding Times. I like how basic they are and how long they last. Usually with bike stuff, i want to try what is new. With pedals, i ain't changing until i see a need to change.

Mattbotak
10-17-2011, 10:09 PM
I've had issues with my knees with other pedals and now swear by these pedals. No issues on the road bike with shoes coming out of the pedals....my mountain bike Speedplay pedals are a whole other issue. :beer:

Fixed
10-17-2011, 10:15 PM
some sprinters do not care for s.play pedals
cheers

Elefantino
10-18-2011, 07:14 AM

I went on the same path, from the original Sampson Stratics (loved the pedals; hated the cleats) to Looks to Speedplay X after achy knee rebelled.

Some people I know are in your boat and have never gotten used to the X pedals' float and moved to the Zeros because they love the way they can engage so easily, as opposed to Look or Time. (Except my wife, who went from Zeros to X because she wanted more float.)

Of course, there is an easier solution to your quandary: DON'T GO SLOW. :D

Joel
10-18-2011, 07:22 AM
oldpotatoe

"Fixie-disease"...pretty funny!

I picked up the bug in 1976...it's not getting any better...and I don't think it's going to go away at this point! :D

Be safe out there...

LesMiner
10-18-2011, 07:36 AM
Interesting testimonials on Speedplay. I too have X series pedals. I never have trouble releasing. There are times I have problems clipping in. Must be entry alignment or something. Any thoughts?

Otherwise I like the float. I articulate my right foot even as I walk so the float does not restrict the little bit of twist at the pedal.

Chance
10-18-2011, 09:47 AM
There are times I have problems clipping in. Must be entry alignment or something. Any thoughts?
That you are not completely alone. Traded bikes with a friend once and was disappointed at how difficult it was. No practice is needed with Looks or Shimano it just happens immediately. With a little time I'm sure it would be fine but don't see the benefit for those who don't care about float.

fourflys
10-18-2011, 09:50 AM
There are times I have problems clipping in. Must be entry alignment or something. Any thoughts?

that was one of my issues as well, figured I might have gotten used to it after a while... but as Chance said, never have to worry about it with my Shimano's...

oldpotatoe
10-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Interesting testimonials on Speedplay. I too have X series pedals. I never have trouble releasing. There are times I have problems clipping in. Must be entry alignment or something. Any thoughts?

Otherwise I like the float. I articulate my right foot even as I walk so the float does not restrict the little bit of twist at the pedal.

The cleat needs to be very flat, so the base plate does too. Why there are a set of shims with the cleats to make sure they are. The concave portion of the base plate needs to match the arc of the sole very closely otherwise the cleat may be bowed, making for more difficult entry.

Also, lube the cleat/spring in the cleat, the pedal bowties. I spray on Lemon Pledge but makes for a slippery cleat, be careful walking around.