PDA

View Full Version : True Temper vs. Columbus Life

imroba
10-15-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm getting serious about a new steel rig and the builders I'm liking offer Columbus Life and True Temper Platinum.

What's the key difference in ride quality between these tube sets?

Other key advantages to one over the other?

Thanks in advance...

phcollard
10-15-2011, 11:38 AM
I have never ridden - I think - Columbus Life but I currently own a Hampsten Giro built from OX Platinum and I can tell you it's the most comfortable ride I have ever had. It's even more comfortable than my Colorado Ti... my 2c :)

dave thompson
10-15-2011, 11:50 AM
I liked my bike with the Life tubes. That said, I think that design, fabrication and the correct (according to your builder) tubing is far more important than the mere tubing alone. Both the True Temper and Columbus tubes come in varying butt lengths and diameters. A good builder can tailor the ride for your likes/needs/wants with those features more than the choice of tubing itself.

phcollard
10-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Yes I meant to say that as well Dave :beer:

steampunk
10-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Call them up and ask them their opinion. I'm sure they will do a little Q&A to find out a bit about yourself and what you're looking for in a bike. I would rather let the builder worry about the tubes and matching the frame characteristics to your intended (and communicated) use.

Steve in SLO
10-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Echo all of the above: Pick a builder you trust then trust them to build a bike tailored to the desires you communicate to them.
It's their job to figure out what steel to use

oldpotatoe
10-15-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm getting serious about a new steel rig and the builders I'm liking offer Columbus Life and True Temper Platinum.

What's the key difference in ride quality between these tube sets?

Other key advantages to one over the other?

Thanks in advance...

Cannot say what a subjective thing like 'ride quality' would differ between two sets of unmade tubes. So much more involved like geometry and the specifics of the resulting frame. PLUS for identical frames, made by the same guy, I doubt anybody could tell.

imroba
10-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Good stuff, thanks all.