PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosis help: Campy UT crank wiggle

merlinmurph
10-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Got a 3 year-old, Campy Chorus UT crank with ~ 12K miles on it

So, I'm working on the bike this AM, turning the crank, and it just doesn't seem as smooth as it should be. I slip the chain off, and it certainly seems on the rough side. I grab the crank, and there is a definite small wiggle when I push/pull it. I'm guessing things aren't quite right.

Honestly, this is the first time I've really dug into this crank/BB system. I started taking the crank off, but have to take off for the day. I've got the 10mm hex and BB tool to pull stuff.

Is my BB shot? I would expect it to be buttery smooth?

How 'bout the wiggle? How do I get rid of that?

Thanks,
Murph

oldpotatoe
10-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Got a 3 year-old, Campy Chorus UT crank with ~ 12K miles on it

So, I'm working on the bike this AM, turning the crank, and it just doesn't seem as smooth as it should be. I slip the chain off, and it certainly seems on the rough side. I grab the crank, and there is a definite small wiggle when I push/pull it. I'm guessing things aren't quite right.

Honestly, this is the first time I've really dug into this crank/BB system. I started taking the crank off, but have to take off for the day. I've got the 10mm hex and BB tool to pull stuff.

Is my BB shot? I would expect it to be buttery smooth?

How 'bout the wiggle? How do I get rid of that?

Thanks,
Murph

Probably one or both of the bearings are history. Why it feels rough and why it feels loose. I have Wheels manufacturing, double sealed replacement bearings for $40 per bearing. They are ceramic, not why I got them, cuz they have seals on both sides.

Lotsa grease inside cups, into new bearings, replace seals, around the bearings. Make sure the clip is installed and the wavy washer is on the LH, kickstand, side.

AngryScientist
10-15-2011, 09:21 AM
i agree that at least one of the bearings are shot. they should definitely feel buttery smooth. after 12k miles and a few years, probably a good plan to replace them anyway. that should solve the problem. i'd probably spring for new cups too, they're cheap.

by the way, i never posted a pic of my Merlin Odyssey for you to see. complete with UT crankset!

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af153/aero_dynamic8/Picture125.jpg

ultraman6970
10-15-2011, 10:09 AM
+1 bearings and probably the spring washer needs to be replaced too.

Take the cranks out and the bearings maybe have some play.

merlinmurph
10-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. Looks like I'll be getting new bearings. I'll see what happens when I pull everything out.

@AS: Very nice! Man, that looks new.

@OP: I'll probably be sending you a PM when I get a chance to check things out.

Thanks again,
Murph

oldpotatoe
10-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. Looks like I'll be getting new bearings. I'll see what happens when I pull everything out.

@AS: Very nice! Man, that looks new.

@OP: I'll probably be sending you a PM when I get a chance to check things out.

Thanks again,
Murph

No problem, no reason the change the wavy washer, BTW.

velotel
10-16-2011, 12:01 AM
I bought those bearings from Vecchio's last spring; been great so far. Totally forgot I have bearings down there. Hopefully I'll be saying the same thing for a long time to come.

AngryScientist
10-16-2011, 08:08 AM
No problem, no reason the change the wavy washer, BTW.

Peter -

I remember some time back you mentioned that the Wheels mfg. bearing were no longer available for UT cranksets, are the ones your referring to here just stock you have, or is there an available source for these now?

oldpotatoe
10-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Peter -

I remember some time back you mentioned that the Wheels mfg. bearing were no longer available for UT cranksets, are the ones your referring to here just stock you have, or is there an available source for these now?

I bought all their remaining stock.

Nobody but Campag now makes bearings AFAIK.

buldogge
10-16-2011, 09:41 AM
FWIW, Boca still lists the ceramic UT replacement bearings...$82.95/pr.

QBP still has the Enduros as well, I believe...around $39/pc.

VXB and other list the ceramics individually as well...

I don't think it's an issue to get them.

-Mark in St. Louis

merlinmurph
10-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Probably one or both of the bearings are history.

Out on my ride today, I got thinking. Those shot bearings are probably why I've been riding so slow lately, huh? ;)

oldpotatoe
10-17-2011, 07:45 AM
FWIW, Boca still lists the ceramic UT replacement bearings...$82.95/pr.

QBP still has the Enduros as well, I believe...around $39/pc.

VXB and other list the ceramics individually as well...

I don't think it's an issue to get them.

-Mark in St. Louis

I believe the Enduros from QBP are 7mm in width, not the pretty unique, 6805(? I think) by 6mm.

Yep, they are out there I guess.

buldogge
10-17-2011, 08:24 AM
Listed at least one place as 6805N which should be the narrower 6mm version.

-Mark

I believe the Enduros from QBP are 7mm in width, not the pretty unique, 6805(? I think) by 6mm.

Yep, they are out there I guess.

oldpotatoe
10-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Out on my ride today, I got thinking. Those shot bearings are probably why I've been riding so slow lately, huh? ;)

Bearings on the way, grazie mille

Peter