PDA

View Full Version : Silver parts for my Moser build

farmallguy
10-14-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm a rookie at this. I want to use silver parts on this Moser Leader Ax. I thought I could use Ultegra 6700 but they don't make silver parts anymore. So what are my choices?
Campy 11 Athena was suggested. The last Campy I used was Nuovo Record in the 70's. Any comments on Athena would be appreciated. I did see an 2011 Athena group with 2010 cranks at Velomine. Are the older cranks better or what?
Probably going to ditch the idea of Ksyrium Elite wheels and get some from Ergott, they sound nice, White hubs and velocity A23 rims. Anyone have these?

Thanks

Jack

I'll post a pic of the frame when I get home.

thinpin
10-14-2011, 05:09 PM
I ride W I hubs on 32h A23s. DT silver spokes. Second best wheels I have after my HED 23s! The look great but more importantly, feel wonderful. Cornering at speed is a whole new experience. Make sure the rear hub is 11s compatible if you decide to go down the new athena path. I have the athena 11S alloy on the TI MERCKX and the KIRK. It works a dream and looks really well finished to boot.
Its not too hard to pick up Campagnolo silver 10s stuff in very good condition. The shifters and RD tend to be the most expensive, lots of 9 speed kicking around too, just be patient and do your research on prices.
My opinion would be get Century grey stuff for that frame, it would look trick.

Marcusaurelius
10-14-2011, 05:26 PM
I would look for 10 speed chorus alloy parts which are not hard to find. You might also be able to locate a set of chorus or record silver hubs--if you are very lucky (prices have gone through the roof on these hubs).

I found the velocity aerohead and velocity aerohead o/c to be a very good rim for a 200+lb rider. I'm not sure how A23 would compare since it I can find no mention of A23 o/c rim.

Joachim
10-14-2011, 06:51 PM
I have some 10 speed Chorus alloy parts... Chorus square taper BB (ITA thread), Chorus alloy crankset (52/39 172.5 mm, square taper for use with above 102mm BB, bought it NOS a few months ago), Chorus alloy brakeset (differential version, before skeleton came out). If you have a black carbon (no FSA) or black alloy crankset (130bcd) around we can work out a trade if you are interested... And maybe eventually a Cinelli XA stem with Cinelli Giro d' Italia handlebars. That's a bunch of silver.