PDA

View Full Version : PSA -- any way to block?

bronk
10-13-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm sick of all the PSA threads in the classifieds. Any way to block those from my personal view? I know I can ignore them and I'm not trying to prevent others from viewing them...I just find them to be akin to water boarding...especially those from certain members who obvioiusly need to get out and ride more.

Keith A
10-13-2011, 12:23 PM
There is no way to block the PSA ads or any message with a specific title. However, you can add individual users to your ignore list and you shouldn't see any messages from those users.

Fixed
10-13-2011, 12:27 PM
could you add a psa sticky ?
cheers

oliver1850
10-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Personally, happy to have them, especially for CL Serottas now that jaxed has been made useless. I like Fixed's idea. How about a sticky for them, or maybe just for Serottas?

Lifelover
10-13-2011, 12:49 PM
.... I know I can ignore them .....

and yet you started this thread anyway?

climbgdh
10-13-2011, 12:56 PM
and yet you started this thread anyway?

+1000

Skip over them..... pretty easy I find.

palincss
10-13-2011, 01:12 PM
So, I take it you agree with the recent recommendation (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/07/us-cancer-prostate-idUSTRE79605220111007) of the The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force and consider the test harmful?

nighthawk
10-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Or perhaps PSAs are better off in the 'general duscussion' area? Just thinking out loud. I personally don't really care, either way.

jvp
10-13-2011, 01:43 PM
I like them, I got one of my vintage track bikes that way.

rcnute
10-13-2011, 01:57 PM
I think it takes me thirty seconds or less to scan the classifieds to see if there's anything interesting to me.

Ryan

norcalbiker
10-13-2011, 02:03 PM
AAAAAHHH stupid question.

What is PSA stand for? :D

bluto
10-13-2011, 02:05 PM
PSA's are my favorite.......they're like a treasure chest of possible opportunity. Not in my area? "shucks..........cool lookin bike tho"

In my area? "cool......i can offer to go see it for someone who's interested or buy it me-self"

Leprechauns are cool too, just fyi.

bluto
10-13-2011, 02:06 PM

Public Service Announcement

rice rocket
10-13-2011, 02:14 PM
We can start posting not-for-bronk-PSAs.

This is like walking into a city park and saying "but I don't want to have x, y, and z."

http://i.imgur.com/ZbfL0.gif

Secosera
10-13-2011, 02:35 PM
What about a stickied "Heads up/PSA" thread that can be used to add ebay/craigslist finds to? Would keep the classifieds section less cluttered and if you want to see whats up you can. And if you don't you only have to skip one thread.

Just an idea,
Sean

Ahneida Ride
10-13-2011, 03:00 PM

I didn't know either ..... :crap:

indyrider
10-13-2011, 08:31 PM
If I was a bit shorter, I'd love the PSA for the Colnago in the classifieds, although it sure is tempting...

I only don't like them when they're not my size :crap:

Indy

texbike
10-13-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm sick of all the PSA threads in the classifieds. ...especially those from certain members who obvioiusly need to get out and ride more.

Maybe if YOU were riding more, you wouldn't be as bothered by the PSA ads. :rolleyes:

I can see where they might be annoying. MY problem with them is that they're helping to enable my addition. In fact, the entire classifieds section should be shut down!

OR Fixed and Sean have a great idea in having a single, sticky thread dedicated to PSAs. The problem is that most people would probably ignore the sticky and post PSAs as unique threads regardless. Oh well, maybe we should all go ride more and just not worry about it.

Texbike

eddief
10-13-2011, 09:42 PM
for my lists and forums, i have none of them send me auto email. that would drive me crazy. when i am in the mood, i click on my favorites and look at what's new on each website. if all my forums sent me emails, i'd puke.

bike22
10-13-2011, 09:46 PM
Please no more PSA threads, this thread seems to have spawned more.

yetitotheheady
10-13-2011, 10:41 PM
I appreciate the PSA stuff because I am looking for a bike/frame and fork :) I have posted PSA adds when I think I find something interesting (handbuilt steel or titanium)stuff from a sought after builder.

Since I am looking for a bike I always check here first, across the hall second, ebay third, cragslist forth.

Getting feedback on PSA's from forum members here is beneficial for me. Recently the Sachs Cross/Tour frame had a good discussion that followed a PSA notice.

We also just had a topic come up about "leaving the price" of what you sold on the classified section so we as a community can better judge market value. PSA can help with this as well, with the feedback of forum members.

William
10-14-2011, 06:30 AM
I'm always amazed by the fact that there are people who can't seem to exercise a bit of self control. When you see a thread title that bothers you, ignore it an move along. It's really easy.....just ignore it. It's as simple as that. For some reason a few people think that the whole forum structure should change because "they" are annoyed by OT's or the title of an informative snippet of information. If you don't like them, don't open them and move along. Only you are responsible you.

If the forum moderators aren't getting their panties in a bunch over it, why should anyone else?

William

AngryScientist
10-14-2011, 06:44 AM
I'm always amazed by the fact that there are people who can't seem to exercise a bit of self control.
William

i agree with this. i like the policy of starting psa threads with "PSA" and ot threads with "OT" in the beginning of the title. this allows people who arent interested to simply scan and pass over the ones they dont want to read, pretty simple IMO.

you do this every day anyway by the way: if you go to a store, do you pick up every piece of produce when you are just looking for an apple?

do you read the back of every DVD when you are looking for an action flick?

Andrewlcox
10-14-2011, 06:59 AM
I am on another forum (http://www.atariage.com/forums/) where they can break down their Marketplace Section into categories. Click on the link and scroll down over halfway to the Marketplace section to see what I mean. They have it broke down into Auction Central, Wanted and User Feedback Forum which we could change into PSA.

I am guilty of offering a few PSA posts. I have been actively shopping and find some real gems for sale all over the USA. Maybe my dream bike will come my way via a PSA so I don't want to see them go away.

Thanks,
Andy

oldpotatoe
10-14-2011, 08:00 AM
I'm sick of all the PSA threads in the classifieds. Any way to block those from my personal view? I know I can ignore them and I'm not trying to prevent others from viewing them...I just find them to be akin to water boarding...especially those from certain members who obvioiusly need to get out and ride more.

What's PSA mean? Know what they are but....

And in SERE(Survival, Evasion, Resistence, Escape) school in the USN(1974), I was waterboarded for a very short time. Nothing on this forum is like that.

kohlboto
10-14-2011, 08:07 AM
PSA = Public Service Announcement

bicycletricycle
10-14-2011, 09:03 AM
i got my ugly pink serotta colorado because of a PSA here so I am going to say that I am pro public service announcements.

Fixed
10-14-2011, 10:18 AM
What's PSA mean? Know what they are but....

And in SERE(Survival, Evasion, Resistence, Escape) school in the USN(1974), I was waterboarded for a very short time. Nothing on this forum is like that.
drowned and revived over and over nothing comes close to near death to loosen up the tongue
cheers

Louis
10-14-2011, 10:36 AM
And what about ugly people? I don't want to have to see them as I go about my daily business. Can't we do something about them? And short people too, they annoy me.

dave thompson
10-14-2011, 10:38 AM
And what about ugly people? I don't want to have to see them as I go about my daily business. Can't we do something about them? And short people too, they annoy me.
...and engineers....

William
10-14-2011, 10:40 AM
We can all "thank" scottcw who started all this nonsense back on 8-11-2005 in the classified section!! :butt: Rumor has it that he's also this PSA guy! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN7Pj8gGi9M&feature=related)

Oh yeah!?! Let's get him!!!! :rolleyes:

William ;)

Louis
10-14-2011, 10:41 AM
...and engineers....

Oh yeah, them too. They really annoy me. And, I have to deal with them every day.

Keith A
10-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Oh yeah, them too. They really annoy me. And, I have to deal with them every day.Hey watch out...I'm one of those guys :D

jlwdm
10-14-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm always amazed by the fact that there are people who can't seem to exercise a bit of self control. When you see a thread title that bothers you, ignore it an move along....

William

The members posting the PSAs could really help with the titles. PSAs often have little info. A title should include the frame size and the message should give a link and some info if possible.

Good titles help so you don't have to waste time on something that won't work. PSAs seem to be worse than other threads in not offering good info in the titles.

Jeff

DRZRM
10-14-2011, 01:21 PM
I have to disagree, there is no monopoly to PSA posters for titles that totally lack necessary information. I've clicked on two threads in the classifieds in the last few weeks that were looking to buy an item but forgot to put WTB in into their title.

I really don't understand the hate over PSA threads, here and across the hall (for all I know I'm the one who pissed off the OP, those were really good deals on Mavic shoes on Bonktown!!). If the mods wanted to open a Link to Good Deals subcategory under Classifieds, I'd be delighted. If not, as has been said above, just don't click on the links.

Is the OP upset because his secret finds (like a Vanilla on CL or a cheap "Colnego" with a typo) are no longer under the radar? I don't understand if you are frustrated that people are wasting time trying to pass on good deals (after all, if you can afford a Serotta, why not pay MSRP?) or that your personal good deals are being outed...or is there something else about PSAs that make them akin to literally being tortured ("He hates these cans!!!")?

I'm mostly serious about this question, what's the rub?

The members posting the PSAs could really help with the titles. PSAs often have little info. A title should include the frame size and the message should give a link and some info if possible.

Good titles help so you don't have to waste time on something that won't work. PSAs seem to be worse than other threads in not offering good info in the titles.

Jeff

William
10-14-2011, 01:24 PM
I

...or is there something else about PSAs that make them akin to literally being tortured ("He hates these cans!!!")?

I'm mostly serious about this question, what's the rub?

To close to TSA <shudder>. "Arch your back for security!!!!" :eek:

William :)

Squint
10-14-2011, 02:23 PM
You can sometimes use ad-blocking software to customize forums to your liking.

I use Proxomitron, which is a bit complicated but very powerful, to remove ads and redo the HTML so no empty space is left behind.

I also use it to filter out posts by certain users (if a particular forum lacks an ignore function), excessive stickies, inline forum ads, oversized signatures, and avatars of ugly people.

charliedid
10-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Create a PSA forum and all is well.

jlwdm
10-15-2011, 10:13 AM
I have to disagree, there is no monopoly to PSA posters for titles that totally lack necessary information. I've clicked on two threads in the classifieds in the last few weeks that were looking to buy an item but forgot to put WTB in into their title...

That is why I said worse - the regular sales are not good, just generally a little better.

Jeff

bike22
10-15-2011, 05:50 PM
the last couple of days have spawned more psa threads, many duplicates of other psa threads, please ban these users and threads, okay, thanks!

Jack Brunk
10-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Glad this wasn't about the Prostate test. Sometimes I don't get people and their issues that get them upset.

gone
10-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Sometimes I don't get people and their issues that get them upset.
+1. This is seriously stupid. If you don't like 'em easy enough to pass 'em by.

93legendti
10-15-2011, 07:51 PM
I like PSA threads...I think it's nice for someone to take the time and post :"Hey, this doesn't fit me, but maybe one of my forum pals would be interested".

Climb01742
10-16-2011, 07:33 AM
I like PSA threads...I think it's nice for someone to take the time and post :"Hey, this doesn't fit me, but maybe one of my forum pals would be interested".

exactly. what adam said.

SoCalSteve
10-17-2011, 12:45 AM
and on that note... :crap:

Cant we just all agree to disagree??? :beer:

Hope everyone had a great weekend and an even better week!!! :p