PDA

View Full Version : Requesting help with flat bar conversion

sailorboy
10-13-2011, 09:35 AM
So I want to get my wife a bike--actually buy the frame and put it all together with some spare parts. Basically something she can chase the kids around with, so not a serious enthusiasts road bike, but I don't want a crappy store-bought heavy mtn bike that will never see a trail.

Thought of getting a 'hybrid' as well, but I just like the idea of finding a used standard road frame, DT shifters and get either mtn bike bars or one of the 'french style' swept back bars from someone like velo orange and the right combo of levers with sidepull brakes so it all works well without hassles.

Is this silly? Should I just get a typical off the rack flat bar hybrid with the mtn bike levers, brakes and bar-cons to save us the trouble?

I'm also not sure how the trail built into a road bike front end will affect handling with these alternate bar styles.

thoughts?

palincss
10-13-2011, 09:51 AM
So I want to get my wife a bike--actually buy the frame and put it all together with some spare parts. Basically something she can chase the kids around with, so not a serious enthusiasts road bike, but I don't want a crappy store-bought heavy mtn bike that will never see a trail.

Thought of getting a 'hybrid' as well, but I just like the idea of finding a used standard road frame, DT shifters and get either mtn bike bars or one of the 'french style' swept back bars from someone like velo orange and the right combo of levers with sidepull brakes so it all works well without hassles.

Is this silly? Should I just get a typical off the rack flat bar hybrid with the mtn bike levers, brakes and bar-cons to save us the trouble?

I'm also not sure how the trail built into a road bike front end will affect handling with these alternate bar styles.

thoughts?

How does your wife feel about downtube levers?

sailorboy
10-13-2011, 10:19 AM
yea, this is a valid point...I guess I figured she would have an easier time with those vice STIs or ergos, but I'm probably projecting my own preferences

This is possibly another reason to get the trigger shifters even though I don't like the idea.

Steve in SLO
10-13-2011, 10:21 AM
What you have is a good idea that seems to work well for a number of folks. You might try some SRAM Grip-Shifts. They are more intuitive than trigger shifters to some.

jr59
10-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Ask wife!= Very good plan.

Build bike the way you like, without asking wife= somewhat questionable plan!

Please remember, wife happy= life happy!

Lesson over! :D

sailorboy
10-13-2011, 10:40 AM
I realize asking her would make the most sense, but b/c of my level of bike-craziness, I think she wants some guidance from me on what direction to go with this.

I was just looking at the betty foy on the rivendell site and that looks good. I think a mixte would make a lot of sense with the kids, always stopping and starting etc. to step through vice swing a leg over every time. Yet those look very practical and rideable for longer times. She mentioned wanting to put it on a trainer as well for exercise from time to time.

Lifelover
10-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Lose the DT shifters.

More food for thought:

The geo of a typical road bike will not lend itself to a very upright position. If she is going to chase the kids around and is not a "cyclist", she is not likely to be happy bent too far over. You can get there with spacers, risers or stems but it is not a very good look.

Tire size is also a issue. Most road bikes to not accept even 28's. This becomes an issue simply because skinny tires (less volume) lose pressure more quickly. She should be riding at least 32's.

Do not project you desire for a new project on to her. I have done this many times to my kids and it has almost always failed.

The typical hybrids are very well thought out and most likely better for the service you have described.

Get her a $500 hybrid and build yourself a flatbat road bike so you can play with them.

palincss
10-13-2011, 10:48 AM
A Betty Foy would be an excellent choice, in my opinion - far better than your run of the mill cheapie LBS hybrid, and the ride of a bike with the Grand Bois Hetre tire (which the Foy will take on the 52 & 58cm sizes) is just amazing: plush, comfortable as can be, stable, incredibly long-wearing, and fast to boot.

bigflax925
10-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Ask wife!= Very good plan.

Build bike the way you like, without asking wife= somewhat questionable plan!

Please remember, wife happy= life happy!

Lesson over! :D

I learned this the hard way. I had a really, cool fillet-brazed Rock Lobster for her and she hated it. Even though I was asked for advice, it turned out she just wanted a mixte-type single or three speed with a basket.

I'm currently refitting a three speed 1970's Raleigh Sports Deluxe with 650b wheels for her. She's on her own for the basket.

vqdriver
10-13-2011, 11:31 AM
i wouldn't overthink this. there's a reason 6' guys are listing 50cm frames.
get her a mixte hybrid for which this purpose is ideal or a bmx bike. yes bmx bikes are awesome for driveway circles and rides thru the neighborhood. super low saddles with super high handlbars make them comfy for most people without adjustment. and small diameter fat tires make for quick stop and go and a cushy ride. added bonus, the standover is so low (often you can stand up off the bike, not get down from it) that with smaller children it makes it easy to reach down and stop them or correct them when cars are near.

WR3K
10-13-2011, 11:40 AM
yo, a trek fx is perfect for her. and a lifetime frame warrenty

Bob Loblaw
10-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Got my wife one of these. She loves it:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/cafe_noir.htm

rugbysecondrow
10-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Get her a hybrid Giant, or Townie bike. If she wants more bike, she can buy another bike. My wife has a Giant hybrid (Cypress) and even though she has a custom Bedford now which see more miles, she straddles the hybrid just as often for short jaunts to church, volleyball games etc.

Frankwurst
10-13-2011, 04:40 PM
There's always this:
http://handsomecycles.com/bicycles/she_devil.php
Now 20% off and free shipping.
I built Mrs. Wurst a mixte this summer with Paul Thumbies for shifters. She decided she wanted thumbies after I bought the grip shifts. I should have never given her the choice but just the same she seems to enjoy the bike. :beer:

alastair
10-13-2011, 04:59 PM
I was always partial to the Pinarello Treviso, though it may be overkill for what you have in mind:

http://lakeside-bikes.com/merchant/240/images/large/TrevisoinPinkcolor.jpg

gdw
10-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Check your local Craigslist for Trek 700 series hybrids from the early 90's. They have frames made from cromoly butted tubing, use 700c wheels, accommodate wider tires, and usually can be found for under $120. They can be easily upgraded/modernized if you want or converted to a drop bar touring bike. Rumor has it that the frames are actually the same as the Trek 520 from that era although I can't confirm it.

alastair
10-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Check your local Craigslist for Trek 700 series hybrids from the early 90's. They have frames made from cromoly butted tubing, use 700c wheels, accommodate wider tires, and usually can be found for under $120. They can be easily upgraded/modernized if you want or converted to a drop bar touring bike. Rumor has it that the frames are actually the same as the Trek 520 from that era although I can't confirm it.

This is a good idea. The higher end models even came with Easton framesets. My ex had one when we first met, that never fit her. I added a North Road handlebar (to bring the bars back towards her hands), brooks flyer and some big white tyres and she fell in love with it.

pdmtong
10-13-2011, 11:00 PM
I think the path of least resistance and greatest success is to buy a Trek FX off local CL, add a coffee mug holder, bell, kickstand and a blackburn rack with jandd grocery bag holder. Make sure it has a chain guard.

The old roadbike might be a fun project for you, but the end goal is a happy wife who is riding comfortably.

My wife continues to use her 1998 FSR to commute 5 miles to work. I wanted to put slicks on it. I wanted to change some other things. Then I wanted to get here on a 8sp gates trek soho. All of my plans bombed. she is happy, and riding the FSR. I've since learned to leave well enough alone.

We may end up getting her a proper road bike, or at least look into a road tandem since my 11yo daughter basically goaded her into a road something so she could ride asphalt and not just dirt with the two of us. we will see where that goes. her C5/6 fusion may point to something like a specialized ruby with a +17 stem. That is unless somehow I can uncork a comotion speedster that has the gates/rohloff..... :)