PDA

View Full Version : 105 downtube shifters question (I broke it)

stephenmarklay
10-13-2011, 06:18 AM
Like and idiot. Nice NOS part too. The innards appeared to be rotated so that the furthest down the front shifter would go was about half up. Now maybe that was the design? Anyway I decided that if I applied some pressure that it would rotate to the correct position (innards rotate) and of course that didn't happen and the innards promptly broke. Nice.

I would like to keep the shiny new part if possible and wondered if it's possible to press the innards out and use innards from a donor?

I will just buy good one if I can find it but it may take some time...

ultraman6970
10-13-2011, 06:40 AM
Dont think u broke it...

to start with, it is in sis mode or in friction?

oldpotatoe
10-13-2011, 07:53 AM
Like and idiot. Nice NOS part too. The innards appeared to be rotated so that the furthest down the front shifter would go was about half up. Now maybe that was the design? Anyway I decided that if I applied some pressure that it would rotate to the correct position (innards rotate) and of course that didn't happen and the innards promptly broke. Nice.

I would like to keep the shiny new part if possible and wondered if it's possible to press the innards out and use innards from a donor?

I will just buy good one if I can find it but it may take some time...

Designed that way so when 'proper' the LH/front shifter is up a wee bit when compared to the downtube(NOT parallel to the downrube). Make sure the 'notch' of the plate that goes onto the frame is forward, aligned with the down tube. Align 'notch' of the shifter with that plate notch, rotate the shifter counter clockwise as look at it, to the left and it will stop a little above the down tube, attach cable, tight.

shimano felt that people with DT shifters shifted both with their right hand so the LH shifter was easier to 'find'.

stephenmarklay
10-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks guys. I guess shimano is right as I use my right 75% of the time and force myself to use my left because I think I should. I certainly broke it. Lesson learned the hard way.

rccardr
10-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Lefty or righty? I have some spares at home, let me know what you need.

If I have it it's yours for the cost of postage.

stephenmarklay
10-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Lefty or righty? I have some spares at home, let me know what you need.

If I have it it's yours for the cost of postage.

I need the front so-lefty :) I wish I could press the innards out. I may try and see what happens as it cooked anyhow.