PDA

View Full Version : OT: Snowblowers.

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-12-2011, 07:18 PM
After getting slammed with tons of snow last winter, I've finally decided to stop being a hero shovelling my driveway, and get a snowblower this winter. Haven't a clue where, what kind or which brand to look at. Suggestions?

akelman
10-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Follow my lead: move to California. You can thank me later.

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Tempting, Ari, but just the move from NY to CT a few years ago was a bit too traumatizing. The thought of winter in New England makes me ill, but not ill enough to leave.

godfrey1112000
10-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Nothing runs like a Deere, had one for 14 years, usually blow mine and three other neighbors in no time,

my plow of choice :D
http://sfj70.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834515ddf69e20120a83381f1970b-500wi

or move to Phoenix, houses are cheap

AngryScientist
10-12-2011, 07:34 PM
how big is your driveway?

this is a case where bigger is generally better. the heavier the machine, the better it will handle in the snow. i got a nice craftsman machine last year myself, and it really paid off.

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-12-2011, 07:41 PM
I haven't measured it yet, but it's long and wide, I've fit eight cars, with room to spare.

echelon_john
10-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Toro or ariens. Both are decent quality.

maxdog
10-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Honda. The best and most expensive.

thwart
10-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Yep. My single stage model is 21 years old and still starts on the first pull.

Ken Robb
10-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Consumer Reports probably has good info on these things.

54ny77
10-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Oh how I laugh....

...because welcome to where I was approx. 1 year ago!

At that time, if you'd have asked would I be owning a snow blower, when that kind of money could be better spent on bike stuff, I'd have said you're outta your friggin' mind.

After shoveling a few times...F&^$! that!

How much shoveling area do you have? If it takes any longer than 20 min. or so by manually shoveling, buy the blower. Without exception, make sure it's a 2-stage unit. It's the only way to go.

Whereabouts in CT are you? If you're anywhere near Greenwich, shoot me a PM if you've got any questions. HD has some Ariens units on sale in Port Chester for $800. It's a painful nut to swallow, don't think about what kind of bike things that could buy. Just think about how happy your body/back will be instead of having to shovel.

Tempting, Ari, but just the move from NY to CT a few years ago was a bit too traumatizing. The thought of winter in New England makes me ill, but not ill enough to leave.

veloduffer
10-12-2011, 08:09 PM
You need a 2-stage, self-propelled model. Most have wheels but some have tracks. Best time to buy is in the off-season, but you probably know that. I got a $1200 Sears Craftsman for $900 in the spring, and it is still going strong after 14 years of northern NJ weather and 170 ft driveway. Ariens, Craftsman, Toro and Honda are all reliable. Most dealers, including Sears, will service them at your home (so you don't have to try to get one in your car).

As Angryscientist noted, bigger is better!

khjr
10-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Recommend looking on Craigslist for a vintage two stage Ariens (~20-30 years old). They were built much sturdier back in the day than what you'll find now - like tanks. My father had one, as did I. There's little risk in buying a well kept homeowner owned machine, as they typically see limited hours here in CT (relative to say, a lawnmower), and they're so well designed that there isn't much that can break. There are lots of them on Craigslist right now.

This is the style http://albany.craigslist.org/grd/2638372334.html that I'm talking about, with the locking "posi-traction" differential (lock knob on hubs), 4 forward speeds, and a cast-iron auger gearbox. I had the same one, but the Tecumseh engine on mine was white and I bought a pair of chains to make it totally unstoppable.

wc1934
10-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Probably want at least eight horsepower - think they are all electric start now - if not, should be.

Ahneida Ride
10-12-2011, 09:43 PM

get the one on tracks .... a beast for sure.

spamjoshua
10-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Honda.

Tracks.

Done.

54ny77
10-12-2011, 09:51 PM
mmmm.....power tools...

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/Greenwich/IMG_3032.jpg

velotel
10-13-2011, 12:33 AM
I've had a Bolens for a dozen or more years, big model, wheels with chains, 4 speeds front, 2 speeds back, been a great machine. Easy to start, not electric start though ready for that if I wanted but no need at all. Some neighbors have blowers on treads; having watched them at work I wouldn't trade my chained wheels for the treads, ever. The wheeled machine is faster and easier to maneuver and doesn't slip on ice. Like someone else said, go for size; you'll never be sorry for too big a machine, always sorry for too small a machine. I imagine snow in Connecticut is similar to snow where I am here in France, as in wet and heavy, or at least it can be frequently, not like in Colorado where I lived much of my life. There the snow was light as a feather. Heavy snow is harder to blow which is where the power comes into play. Never used anything else so can't say which is best but for me the Bolens has been superb. I'd buy another.

learningtoride
10-13-2011, 02:18 AM
Nothing runs like a Deere, had one for 14 years, usually blow mine and three other neighbors in no time,

my plow of choice :D
http://sfj70.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834515ddf69e20120a83381f1970b-500wi

or move to Phoenix, houses are cheap
+1 :p

parris
10-13-2011, 02:28 AM
I've got a 40+ yo. airens that's handled everything very well. One thing to be aware of with many old machines is that there wern't many of the safety features that are on todays gear. My airens has a manual lever on the side of the machine to engage the auger and once engaged it doesn't stop. I don't let our son out when I'm running the machine and am very aware of where I'm putting my hands. But the freaking thing starts on the 1st or 2nd pull every darn time!

christian
10-13-2011, 03:00 AM
I have a 1970 5hp Ariens with a Tecumseh motor that I'm very happy with. 1970 was the last year before "reverse" safety clutches, so it's like a motorbike - drop the clutch and she goes. Unsafe maybe, but oh, so much easier than having to squeeze the clutch handle the whole time. I haven't managed to chew off my leg yet.

For newer machines, Veloduffer offers good advice - a two-stage Toro, Ariens, or Honda. I would avoid the ones with the Chinese Honda-clone motors. Ariens had a ST24E in 2010 with a Subaru/Robin motor. If you can find one of those on left-over, that'd be my first choice.

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-13-2011, 05:55 AM
"......if you'd have asked would I be owning a snow blower, when that kind of money could be better spent on bike stuff, I'd have said you're outta your friggin' mind.

After shoveling a few times...F&^$! that!"

You took the words, word for word, right out of my mouth.

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-13-2011, 06:01 AM
Recommend looking on Craigslist for a vintage two stage Ariens (~20-30 years old). They were built much sturdier back in the day than what you'll find now - like tanks. My father had one, as did I. There's little risk in buying a well kept homeowner owned machine, as they typically see limited hours here in CT (relative to say, a lawnmower), and they're so well designed that there isn't much that can break. There are lots of them on Craigslist right now.

This is the style http://albany.craigslist.org/grd/2638372334.html that I'm talking about, with the locking "posi-traction" differential (lock knob on hubs), 4 forward speeds, and a cast-iron auger gearbox. I had the same one, but the Tecumseh engine on mine was white and I bought a pair of chains to make it totally unstoppable.
PM sent.

William
10-13-2011, 06:06 AM
http://www.quadivator.com/images/blower/blower6.jpg

~and it has a cup holder for my piping hot quad shot espresso! :cool:

William

LesMiner
10-13-2011, 06:43 AM
I bought an MTD brand 16 years ago from a midwest home center, Fleet Farm. It has an electric starter powered by 120 VAC. 4 stoke engine so no oil to mix in the gas. My driveway is 32 feet wide and 40 feet long. That is a lot of snow to move. There has been years where the snow piles on the sides of my driveway were 10 feet high and I had to shovel off the top so the snow thrower could throw the snow over. Many of the brands share the same engine. Some are just a different brand name on the same machine. You can spend a lot on a luxury brand or something with a lot of features. Unless you are in the snow removal businees it is not worth spending much over $500. You will probably use it much less than lawn mower.

tele
10-13-2011, 08:08 AM
2 stage is key.
I bought a Husqvarna at my local farm store last year, buddy from high school owns it. So far has been great, starts on first pull every time. Actually started it last weekend in preperation for the snow season, no problems.

Another buddy of mine bought a "cheaper" brand, like MTD or something for like $500 at least 8 years ago and he has never had a problem. YMMV.

christian
10-13-2011, 08:16 AM
BTW, snowblowing is really fun. I like to wear my Filson double mac and Elmer Fudd hat.

CNY rider
10-13-2011, 09:07 AM
I just bought a 10 horse Toro last week.
Our local hardware store was clearing out last year's models.
I looked at the evaluations in Consumer Reports. The Hondas scored rather poorly. Surprising and I usually favor Honda power tools but this time I went Toro.
For me it was aobut having the right machine for the job. Anything up to 4 or 5 inches I prefer to shovel.
Above that is when I need a thrower. My MTD was bought used 10 years ago and struggled a bit with deep heavy stuff. I certainly got my money's worth out of it. I'm looking forward to taking the Toro out with our first 8 inch or more snowfall.

gone
10-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Go big or stay home:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/ghsmith54/Jun_24_2010_5756.jpg

veloduffer
10-13-2011, 10:16 AM
For newer machines, Veloduffer offers good advice - a two-stage Toro, Ariens, or Honda. I would avoid the ones with the Chinese Honda-clone motors. Ariens had a ST24E in 2010 with a Subaru/Robin motor. If you can find one of those on left-over, that'd be my first choice.

Also beware of buying name brands like Honda or Ariens from big box stores like Home Depot or Lowe's. Generally, they are inferior models and corners were cut to reach the big box price points.

If you want a "real" Honda or Toro, go to a Honda or Toro dealer. Yes it is more expensive, but you are getting the quality stuff. I learned this when researching lawnmowers this year.

christian
10-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Also beware of buying name brands like Honda or Ariens from big box stores like Home Depot or Lowe's. Generally, they are inferior models and corners were cut to reach the big box price points.

If you want a "real" Honda or Toro, go to a Honda or Toro dealer. Yes it is more expensive, but you are getting the quality stuff. I learned this when researching lawnmowers this year.

Yeah, for Ariens, the Sno Tek sub-brand is the cheap Chinese motor ones. It's worth spending more on a snowblower - it has a horrible duty cycle with a motor running almost all the time under full load and runs in a wet environment - my Ariens is now 41 years old and I could get $300 for it still.

54ny77
10-13-2011, 12:43 PM
winner. :beer:

http://www.quadivator.com/images/blower/blower6.jpg

~and it has a cup holder for my piping hot quad shot espresso! :cool:

William

54ny77
10-13-2011, 12:44 PM
woops, sorry william. disregard my last post. this guy has everyone beat. oh man that'd be fun to drive around...but it wouldn't fit through my walkway gate.

;) :D :beer:

Go big or stay home:

BlackTiBob
10-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Honda.

compilation of previous ideas--look for one on Craigslist. They last forever.
5 HP 2 stage minimum but 8/9 HP with tracks is the best.

I bought with electric start, plug in to 110 volt but totally NOT NEEDED. Use Mobil 1 synthetic. My 8 HP starts with 2 fingers pulling rope in minus 20 F weather.

New they are ungodly expensive so see about a used one but they go quick.
FYI, Honda 5 HP motor seems as powerful as most other company's 7 HP. Honda 8 HP runs more like a 10+ HP engine.

Hydrostatic tranny is superb.
Bob

Dekonick
10-13-2011, 07:29 PM
No matter what you buy PLEASE do the following:

1) never - and I mean NEVER stick your hand in the chute or the front with it running, or while jammed. They give you a stick for this for a reason... and there are plenty of missing fingers and hands to explain why... Even if the blower is off, they can have enormous energy stored -like a spring - ready to chop off your hand when you free that newspaper...

2) use gasoline without alcohol if you can... minimum put a fuel conditioner in the gas.

3) buy extra shear bolts. I have something like 10 in my tool box. If a lot of snow hits, you will not be able to buy them...

4) run the engine every couple of weeks all winter long... to keep the carb clean.

Enjoy! They are fun to use!

daylate$short
10-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Go big or stay home:

This is a snowblower.
http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp25/bruceolson/Forums/P1020812.jpg
It would sure look good on your tractor though. :beer:
We get a lot of snow in da UP. :crap:

tele
10-14-2011, 05:58 AM
4) run the engine every couple of weeks all winter long... to keep the carb clean.

and DO NOT USE Sta Bil as a fuel stabilizer, worse stuff evah.

veloduffer
10-14-2011, 07:06 AM
No matter what you buy PLEASE do the following:

1) never - and I mean NEVER stick your hand in the chute or the front with it running, or while jammed. They give you a stick for this for a reason... and there are plenty of missing fingers and hands to explain why... Even if the blower is off, they can have enormous energy stored -like a spring - ready to chop off your hand when you free that newspaper...

+++1

That happened to a local guy last year. A newspaper, the cause of many jammed snowblowers, got caught in the auger. He didn't realize that the auger was now under tension (like a spring) and was unfortunate when he removed enough paper to fix the jam. Turning off the engine is not enough!

IFRider
10-14-2011, 10:11 AM
I have a HS1332TAS - basically a 13 horse, 32 inch wide track drive unit with hydrostatic transmission. It is a beast and handles everything my NH winter throws at it.

Some notes;
- The track drive is great. It pulls me up stuff I can't walk up when it is really slick on my steep drive. It allows me to clear a path on the lawn for the utilities guys and I image it would be sweet it you had a gravel or pea stone driveway. Track drive makes it harder to turn though so if you have to maneuver a lot it could be a pain.

- I have only had to use my electric start a couple of times, usually when I had bad fuel or once after an ice storm when the pull cord did not engage. When I first bought a snowblower it was an option and I thought my wife would be able to use it. Reality is she never did or will.

- Be disciplined about fuel. These things are carb engines and bad fuel will drive you crazy. I used Stabiliz and that sucked. I use something the motorcycle guys at the Honda dealer use. I don't know the name but it is a blue fluid and I use it in my generator also. I now leave gas in the blower year round to prevent condensation and drain the carb and fuel cup. Also, use the right octane for your model. I dumped some 93 in mine once and it ran terribly.

- I would recommend choosing a good local dealer even if that means not Honda. Look towards Toro, Ariens and some of the others but when the storm really hits and something goes wrong, a good dealer will get you going.

- Get a good supply of shear pins/bolts. The honda has a good system for this. I have never broken the impeller pin, but have often snapped a auger bolt.

- Be careful about clearing the driveway of branches and rocks when you know a storm is coming. I once sucked it a load a pea stone that the plows piled up at the end of my drive. It was at night and the sparks were amazing, although all the paint was removed from inside the Chute.

Warren

William
10-14-2011, 10:44 AM
woops, sorry william. disregard my last post. this guy has everyone beat. oh man that'd be fun to drive around...but it wouldn't fit through my walkway gate.

;) :D :beer:

That is sweet.....but where are the cup holders? No sale with out them. :rolleyes: ;)

William

crossjunkee
10-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Owned a used Toro 2 stroke for many years. I'll bet the Toro was close to 30 years old when I gave it away. The guy I gave it to, still uses it, and I thought he wanted it for parts. I Purchased a Honda 3 years ago, and it's amazing. I wouldn't look at anything else. Starts first pull no matter how cold it is.

I'm amazed at the number of people injured every year by snow throwers. Common sense should tell you not to stick your hand in there... :no: