PDA

View Full Version : OK Fellahs, GM is dissin' us so, boycott 'em

old_fat_and_slow
10-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Can you believe this tripe?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/g-m-pulls-ad-suggesting-cyclists-t-girls-204806708.html

http://www.commutebybike.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/gm_ad-captioned1-500x405.png

http://backalleybikes.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/reality.jpg

I say, forget the protest against Wall Street, let's boycott and protest against GM ! !

Yeah, you can be a big fat slob couch potato, but as long as you drive a big effin GM pickup, you're a chick magnet, big fellah. :mad:

drewski
10-12-2011, 06:12 PM
What good is getting a loan on a pickup if there are few job prospects after graduation. Surely GM can't be serious. Tell me this is something that ONION
the wrote.

Reality sucks indeed.

maunahaole
10-12-2011, 06:15 PM
This is real and GM is attempting spin control.

More tone deafness out of Detroit.

Louis
10-12-2011, 06:17 PM
I wonder if I can get a bike with a tilting handlebar so I get my gut under it?

I know those fine GM products come with them.

572cv
10-12-2011, 06:26 PM
is a whole lot smarter in its associations:

http://www.pitchengine.com/serottasport/serotta-debuts-ford-29inch-mountain-bike-at-interbike/87730/

while GM doesn't seem to be thinking at all.

slowgoing
10-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Don't disrespect tripe like that.

Steve in SLO
10-12-2011, 06:41 PM
It's HER problem...she doesn't appreciate a steel frame with DT shifters.

johnnymossville
10-12-2011, 06:43 PM
LOL, is the girl in the car laughing at him or what?

chuckroast
10-12-2011, 06:47 PM
It does say that GM has pulled the ad in response to complaints.

This pales in comparison to the Allstate Mayhem fiasco on Facebook from last weekend.

Mike748
10-12-2011, 06:48 PM
I boycotted gm decades ago and don't plan to stop.

johnnymossville
10-12-2011, 06:56 PM
It does say that GM has pulled the ad in response to complaints.

This pales in comparison to the Allstate Mayhem fiasco on Facebook from last weekend.

didn't catch the allstate mayhem.

Fixed
10-12-2011, 07:00 PM
she is giving him the eye ,he doesn't look like her co-workers .. something about those bike shorts she can't get out of her mind
cheers imho

Fixed
10-12-2011, 07:03 PM
is a whole lot smarter in its associations:

http://www.pitchengine.com/serottasport/serotta-debuts-ford-29inch-mountain-bike-at-interbike/87730/

while GM doesn't seem to be thinking at all.
ford makes decent cars now too
cheers

chuckroast
10-12-2011, 07:12 PM
didn't catch the allstate mayhem.

The Mayhem character from the Allstate commercials has a fan page on Facebook. He has over 1 million fans. Sometime over the weekend he posted something like this: "Flies are to flypaper as cyclists are to _____". The post has been taken down now so I can't quote exactly.

Anyway, more than 5000 douche bags replied in ways that you can probably imagine. Someone on RBR noticed and the page was flooded with complaints from cyclists and notes to Facebook reporting the page as abuse.

Allstate took down the post (presumably a product of their ad agency) and has been apologizing like crazy. Predictably, the Mayhem fans have now been accusing the cyclists of being over sensitive.

Fixed
10-12-2011, 07:16 PM
The Mayhem character from the Allstate commercials has a fan page on Facebook. He has over 1 million fans. Sometime over the weekend he posted something like this: "Flies are to flypaper as cyclists are to _____".

An
that is sick
imho cheers

itsflantastic
10-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Reality DOES suck...

rain dogs
10-12-2011, 07:46 PM
I was JUST going to post that Munster traffic comparison photo.... beat me to it!

avalonracing
10-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Boycott GM because of this ad? Why sure. I've been boycotting them for 25 years anyway because of crappy cars.

rugbysecondrow
10-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Sense of humor fellas.

The nerd on a bike is a cliche that has been played out quite a bit (anybody see The 40 year old virgin?). No battleground to be had here.

Seramount
10-12-2011, 08:46 PM
well, no real surprise considering GM is a company run by morons. they make mediocre cars and even worse trucks.

show me a Suburban and I'll show you a POS...

I wouldn't buy one of their products even if they were running responsible ads that promote cycling.

why did we bail these losers out...ugh.

dhoff
10-12-2011, 09:05 PM

Love My Suburban. Great truck, 140,000 miles, goes anywhere, no matter what.

-d

CaptStash
10-12-2011, 09:13 PM
well, no real surprise considering GM is a company run by morons. they make mediocre cars and even worse trucks.

I wouldn't buy one of their products even if they were running responsible ads that promote cycling.

Umm Troll alert? Some of us have had great Suburbans and I have to say I love my Silverado. So there!!

And I even grew up a Ford guy.

The good news is GM responded and did the right thing. That is good right? So what's the point of a boycott? Or do you just like the idea of more people unemployed? I mean seriously??

Rant over.

Going back to my bike dungeon now.

CaptStash....

Louis
10-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Let's not get too worked up about the "boycott" thing. That was probably a tongue-in-cheek comment.

Kontact
10-12-2011, 09:25 PM
I've been boycotting any bike brand that makes cars look bad for years.

Ahneida Ride
10-12-2011, 09:42 PM
What good is getting a loan

Reality sucks indeed.

Banks do not make loans. They create the $ outa thin air using the
Ponzi scheme of "fractional reserve".

They are overbooked 10 to 1.

Louis
10-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Banks do not make loans. They create the $ outa thin air using the
Ponzi scheme of "fractional reserve".

They are overbooked 10 to 1.

Wow - this is news to me. That's terrible. :no:

Ray, where did you find out about this?

rounder
10-12-2011, 09:51 PM
I would not boycott GM because they were American. I would not boycott them at all. I would just not buy one because they do not make what i need/want. Who here has ever seen a chevy volt.

Stan Lee
10-13-2011, 02:30 AM
I like this version....

130R
10-13-2011, 03:43 AM
I'm in college, ride cx, crits, mtb, commute... and I'm literally drowning in pooooon

beer_meister
10-13-2011, 07:23 AM
... and I'm literally drowning in pooooon

Hey, can you send some of that my way. I love coeds ! ! ! :D

TimmyB
10-13-2011, 07:29 AM
I'm in college, ride cx, crits, mtb, commute... and I'm literally drowning in pooooon
I am 4/5 of those things, but don't think I am quite "drowning in pooooon." Maybe it's time to get a mtb :crap: :crap:

Stan Lee
10-13-2011, 08:38 AM
That didn't last long... :hello:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/g-m-pulls-ad-suggesting-cyclists-t-girls-204806708.html

witcombusa
10-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Boycott GM because of this ad? Why sure. I've been boycotting them for 25 years anyway because of crappy cars.

Agree

Lousy cars have always been reason enough.....

johnnymossville
10-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Here's another one. :)

http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/10/Screen-shot-2011-10-12-at-7.12.31-AM-467x550.png

Karin Kirk
10-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Here is the place to send a comment
http://www.chevrolet.com/pages/mds/helpcenter/contactUs.do#

I had a nice time composing a pithy email this morning. I'd urge others to show their frustration to GM directly.

atanz
10-13-2011, 11:27 AM
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/294181_10150324691403002_48354778001_8007388_35158 1305_n.jpg
I like this one!
not sure if its just photoshopped or Giant actually made it!

edit: I guess they did make it, its on their facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/giantbicycles)

Stan Lee
10-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Ha...

http://road.cc/content/news/46044-giant-backatcha-gmfrom-giant

fourflys
10-13-2011, 12:01 PM
I've boycotted GM stuff since I had a '99 Blazer.... I learned my lesson, never again...

BTW- LOVE the Giant ad...

fourflys
10-13-2011, 12:11 PM
just saw this and had to share... :D

From the Most interesting Man in the World (can't figure out how to post the Gif...)
http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3566xm/

tkbike
10-13-2011, 12:20 PM

Is this from personal experience?

I'm a cyclist, my belly does not hang over my belt and I have owned 3 GM trucks. All 3 had well over 100,000 miles on them, not one warranty claim and the only service ever performed were oil changes every 5000-7000 miles.

I guess I got LUCKY 3 times!

Fixed
10-13-2011, 12:23 PM
did g.m. not kill the trolly cars in the u.s. with busses?
cheers

merlincustom1
10-13-2011, 12:32 PM
People, can we get over ourselves already? Granted, the ad's not very good, but why can't cyclists be the butt of a joke? Show of hands from all of you who laughed at the (politically incorrect word coming) "retard" jokes in There's Something About Mary? Thought so. A boycott? Really? To paraphrase the Stuey O'Grady bracelet from a few years back, "Lighten the F Up."

rugbysecondrow
10-13-2011, 12:33 PM
People, can we get over ourselves already? Granted, the ad's not very good, but why can't cyclists be the butt of a joke? Show of hands from all of you who laughed at the (politically incorrect word coming) "retard" jokes in There's Something About Mary? Thought so. A boycott? Really? To paraphrase the Stuey O'Grady bracelet from a few years back, "Lighten the F Up."

Agreed. The tight shorts must be choking our ego a bit, at the least our sense of humor.

Idris Icabod
10-13-2011, 12:40 PM

Too funny! Sometimes I miss my university days...

witcombusa
10-13-2011, 12:47 PM
:crap:

Spinner
10-13-2011, 12:47 PM
ford makes decent cars now too
cheers

I had a Ford Fusion last week as a rental car, drove it +/- 500 miles, a found it to be an excellent car. Acceleration and handling were great and the interior is very functional and attractive. The leather seats were especially comfortable over long distance as my drive was an out and back venture.

johnnymossville
10-13-2011, 01:06 PM
I had a Ford Fusion last week as a rental car, drove it +/- 500 miles, a found it to be an excellent car. Acceleration and handling were great and the interior is very functional and attractive. The leather seats were especially comfortable over long distance as my drive was an out and back venture.

I've seen a few spy shots/renders of the next Fusion and it looks really good. Waiting patiently for the LA or Detroit Auto show to see it's debut.

fourflys
10-13-2011, 01:34 PM
I've seen a few spy shots/renders of the next Fusion and it looks really good. Waiting patiently for the LA or Detroit Auto show to see it's debut.

kind of doubt I'd go back to American cars at this point, but if I did the new Fusion or Focus would be what would bring me back... and I'm saying this knowing that I can get "A" plan on Fords... (my dad is retired factory guy)

the new Focus 5 door is pretty sweet in the sport trim...

johnnymossville
10-13-2011, 02:24 PM
someone should buy this guy a chevy, or a subway ticket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdWMWYQ0mck

zap
10-13-2011, 02:44 PM

In The Netherlands or Germany or...........ok, it's a joke-motorists are better educated and understand that motorists have greater responsibilities. But then again, this GM ad wouldn't work over there anyway but the point ..........

In the USA............, some believe the ad reinforces anti-cycling to the un-educated.

It's better to inform stupid that cycling is acceptable than make a joke (maybe) of cycling.

Stay on message that cycling is cool and that cyclist belong.

:beer:

bigreen505
10-13-2011, 02:56 PM

I dunno, my Suburban is just a bit shy of 285,000 miles and it does a great job of transporting bikes, people and gear. My dad bought one about a year ago with the huge V8 and it averages about 19.5 mpg. I have no complaints.

That ad however is infuriating.

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-13-2011, 04:05 PM
GM hasn't made something I'd even consider in years. The ZR-1, maybe.

cmg
10-13-2011, 04:21 PM
owned a vega in the 70's. never again.

learningtoride
10-13-2011, 04:43 PM
:beer: Even more so than the ad- I cant stop laughing at the "POOOON" comment! lol

torquer
10-14-2011, 12:27 PM
owned a vega in the 70's. never again.
I suffered that cruel fate myself... actually, my wife inherited one from her (obviously senile) grandmother. And did I learn anything? Ask me about the Saturn that tortured us for 10 years.
Finally, we got a SAAB during GM ownership. Since it was the 9-3 developed before the GM takeover, not sure how to apportion blame (and credit, too, I'll admit) for that one. But GM did manage to run that brand into the toilet, dropping the hatchback and cluttering-up the showrooms with rebadged Subarus and Chevy SUVs.

Marcusaurelius
10-14-2011, 11:01 PM
It's a dumb ad from an even dumber company. I can't recall any car they've made in the last 10 years (or more) that I had even a small interest in (a rental cavalier killed any faint hope I carried over from an old farm truck).

gemship
10-15-2011, 05:57 AM
I suffered that cruel fate myself... actually, my wife inherited one from her (obviously senile) grandmother. And did I learn anything? Ask me about the Saturn that tortured us for 10 years.
Finally, we got a SAAB during GM ownership. Since it was the 9-3 developed before the GM takeover, not sure how to apportion blame (and credit, too, I'll admit) for that one. But GM did manage to run that brand into the toilet, dropping the hatchback and cluttering-up the showrooms with rebadged Subarus and Chevy SUVs.

Okay I don't want this to sound like a defense for GM but Saabs were overpriced aesthetically as well as design/engineered challenged cars long before GM ever bought out the company. They appealed to yuppies with money to burn and no mechanical skills during the eighties and nineties.

Now I will defend GM in saying I really dig the new Camaro's and yeah you will pick up more chicks in that car than you will on a bicycle.

fourflys
10-15-2011, 09:48 AM
so I'm curious why people think GM pulled the ad? I don't think I buy the pressure the bike lobby idea... I agree it was a stupid ad, but I'm just curious what prompted them to pull it...

dhoff
10-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Okay I don't want this to sound like a defense for GM but Saabs were overpriced aesthetically as well as design/engineered challenged cars long before GM ever bought out the company. They appealed to yuppies with money to burn and no mechanical skills during the eighties and nineties.

Now I will defend GM in saying I really dig the new Camaro's and yeah you will pick up more chicks in that car than you will on a bicycle.

show me a 70's or 80's or 90's SAAB that hasn't been crashed and has had basic maintenance, and has any major problems and I will be surprised. I know of no brand with more cars over 200,000 miles, (except MB Diesels).

SAAB built an unbelievably reliable car that was safe to drive and handled well in bad weather and they still do. Go up to VT and drive around a bit. Even in a Rural American State, they are probably the single most common brand. Simply because they do everything well.

I loath the "attack fests" that happen on these boards.

This thread has attempted to eviscerate at least two major brands of automobile all in the name of a bunch of oversensitive people who take themselves too damn seriously.

snivel snivel.

dhoff
10-15-2011, 10:21 AM
did g.m. not kill the trolly cars in the u.s. with busses?
cheers

No just in LA

fourflys
10-15-2011, 10:22 AM
a Saab 9-5 vert is on my short list... I think it's one of the best looking 4 seat verts around and I agree the reliability thing (lack of) is highly over-rated...

Karin Kirk
10-15-2011, 10:40 AM
SAAB built an unbelievably reliable car that was safe to drive and handled well in bad weather and they still do.

+1 to that. I had a '92 SAAB 900 and that thing was amazing. It ran and ran and ran. It routinely swallowed cargo like bikes, bales of hay and loads of rocks. Plus it was especially nice to drive in the winter.

Tragic that these bloodlines are now lost.

gemship
10-15-2011, 04:59 PM
show me a 70's or 80's or 90's SAAB that hasn't been crashed and has had basic maintenance, and has any major problems and I will be surprised. I know of no brand with more cars over 200,000 miles, (except MB Diesels).

SAAB built an unbelievably reliable car that was safe to drive and handled well in bad weather and they still do. Go up to VT and drive around a bit. Even in a Rural American State, they are probably the single most common brand. Simply because they do everything well.

I loath the "attack fests" that happen on these boards.

This thread has attempted to eviscerate at least two major brands of automobile all in the name of a bunch of oversensitive people who take themselves too damn seriously.

snivel snivel.

These boards wouldn't exist without "attack fests". Singing Kumbyaa's all the time gets boring I guess :rolleyes: I imagine Saab made plenty of great cars during their golden years and so did Honda. I also know plenty of people that had the old 900 series and when they broke they were expensive. They were definitely quirky, I remember one instance where the ignition being in it's location and breaking was a nightmare/fortune to fix. Like I said if you have the doe to blow then no biggie. They were never particularly pretty to look at. The new camaro on the other hand looks pretty sharp to me. Chevy Astros weren't anything special but for purpose they are a pretty capable machine. Yeah about those "attack feasts"... it took a lot of crapping on Chevy but I just had to finally chime in and I wouldn't of replied sooner but I am never near a computer much less a bike these days. Too many real life projects so little time to read forum stuff, not a bad thing.
:D

I drive a full size chevy silverado 2wd and stick shift, it's a no thrills work truck. With weight under the rear axle it handles winter driving pretty good too. A rally car it is not but it does the job.

Frankwurst
10-15-2011, 05:17 PM
I didn't even read through all the posts and I'll be the first one to tell you I won't buy another GM product as long as I live simply because the one I currently own that cost upwards of $30,000 dollars is a POS. There. That's where I stand on this issue. :beer:

gemship
10-15-2011, 05:29 PM
It's too late Frankwurst and you didn't even get a say... The gov't spent our money to bail GM out :p Actually I think we should boycott all car companies as well as Wallstreet and the Feds and the gas companies. :o

Imagine the price of gas dropping in half.... I have this coffee table book with pics titled the Great American Cars. Not one GM in it and the author believed not a good car was made after the year 1939.

Stewball
10-16-2011, 12:41 PM
GM took our money to build factories in Thailand, Mexico & around the world where they spread diplomacy. They're shutting down the factory in LA that makes the big trucks, you'll be purchasing your gas guzzler from Thailand after 2012. Those loans...well, never mind; just wish they'd say thanks before adding to the unemployment stats.
Next American car to own, Tesla. Yeah, beat the gas company too.

Karin Kirk
10-18-2011, 08:10 PM
I emailed GM and complained about their lame ad. Enjoying the anonymity of the internet, I told them that promoting their product by simply putting down other types of transportation is an embarrassment to the spirit of American innovation.

But my needs are important to them. You can see that they really listened to my concerns. Check out their thoughtful response:

Karin,
Thank you for your interest in Chevrolet vehicles. We invite you to look at our lineup of cars, trucks, SUVs, vans and crossovers and see the value, quality and craftsmanship of each one.

Chevrolet is committed to providing more-than-expected value in all of our vehicles. That's why most Chevrolet vehicles are protected and connected with OnStar(R)(1) — now standard with the Directions & Connections(R) Plan including Turn-by-Turn Navigation — for six months. And to guarantee the quality, we back every Chevrolet with a 100,000 mile/5-year(2) Powertrain Warranty, plus Roadside Assistance and Courtesy Transportation Programs.

If you need a new vehicle, Chevrolet makes one you will be proud to drive. Visit chevy.com and see what we have to offer, or find a dealer and test-drive the Chevrolet you want today.

Fixed
10-18-2011, 08:31 PM
the machine speaks ?
cheers

Louis
10-18-2011, 08:42 PM
You can see that they really listened to my concerns. Check out their thoughtful response:

I wonder if a human was ever in the loop, or if it was a purely automated reply? Either way, they could do better. I assume you would get a human if you had sent to note to your local GM dealer, but they would likely say that they have nothing to do with Detroit's choice of ad material.

To be fair to them, you'd have to conduct a similar test for Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Lexus, Mercedes, etc, (I'm sure one could come up with some pretext) and see how the responses compare. Perhaps it would be too predictable...

Karin Kirk
10-18-2011, 11:51 PM
To be fair to them, you'd have to conduct a similar test for Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Lexus, Mercedes, etc, (I'm sure one could come up with some pretext) and see how the responses compare. Perhaps it would be too predictable...

Would the response be any less pathetic if all the other companies did the same thing?

It's lame either way. :(

Louis
10-19-2011, 01:03 AM
Would the response be any less pathetic if all the other companies did the same thing?

They responses might be pathetic, but if that's the standard of care in a given segment of the auto industry, there might a good reason for it.

All I know is that on longer flights the vast majority of airlines used to serve semi-palatable food. Today on nearly every flight out there you're lucky to get a bag of peanuts and a drink. What used to be considered standard care is now a luxury from the distant past, all done in the name of cost-cutting. Automotive customer-relations departments might have taken similar hits.

Seramount
10-19-2011, 09:54 AM
I emailed GM and complained about their lame ad. Enjoying the anonymity of the internet, I told them that promoting their product by simply putting down other types of transportation is an embarrassment to the spirit of American innovation.

But my needs are important to them. You can see that they really listened to my concerns. Check out their thoughtful response:

just more evidence of GM's cluelessness.

if you want additional examples of this kind of idiocy and insensitivity, you should get a copy of the book 'Bush to Bush: The Lazlo Toth Letters.'

written by SNL's Don Novello (aka Father Guido Sarducci), it contains numerous equally infuriating robo-responses from companies and politicians to the author's queries and complaints.

Karin Kirk
10-19-2011, 09:59 AM
They responses might be pathetic, but if that's the standard of care in a given segment of the auto industry, there might a good reason for it.

All I know is that on longer flights the vast majority of airlines used to serve semi-palatable food. Today on nearly every flight out there you're lucky to get a bag of peanuts and a drink. What used to be considered standard care is now a luxury from the distant past, all done in the name of cost-cutting. Automotive customer-relations departments might have taken similar hits.
Oh, I'm sure you are right Louis, but it's just a sad sign of the times I guess. Funny that these companies cut costs to the bone, make incomprehensible decisions and still don't seem to make much money, and/or need bailing out.

Anyway, of the topic at hand, GM's ad is awful and their response is kind of humorously bad. Sort of fits in with their whole image if you ask me. Too bad.

tiretrax
10-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Ford and Firestone - owned by cousins - killed the street car. But street cars should be the subject of another rant since they are extremely expensive to build and lack flexibility to follow populations.

There are lots of Toyotas and Nissans that have gone over 200K miles, and my Lexus recently made that mileston. I have it serviced by an independent shop that specializes in Lexus. They have many customers with high mileage cars, even a handful over 400K. I have never heard of any domestic cars that have achieved that many miles; diesel trucks, yes.

The Volt and other electric cars are no panacea for beating oil companies - they'll get most of their juice from coal-fired electric plants. Wind and solar won't be able to achieve much market share for at least 20 years, even if their capacity continues to grow at the current rate (which is in the high double figures).