PDA

View Full Version : Cycling ("forced" excercise) may help Parkinson's Disease

Louis
10-12-2011, 02:41 PM
NYT Link (http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/12/what-parkinsons-teaches-us-about-the-brain/)

Scientific discoveries can be serendipitous, and so it was when Jay L. Alberts, then a Parkinson’s disease researcher at Emory University in Atlanta, mounted a tandem bike with Cathy Frazier, a Parkinson’s patient. The two were riding the 2003 RAGBRAI bicycle tour across Iowa, hoping to raise awareness of the neurodegenerative disease and “show people with Parkinson’s that you don’t have to sit back and let the disease take over your life,” Dr. Alberts said.

But something unexpected happened after the first day’s riding. One of Ms. Frazier’s symptoms was micrographia, a condition in which her handwriting, legible at first, would quickly become smaller, more spidery and unreadable as she continued to write. After a day of pedaling, though, she signed a birthday card with no difficulty, her signature “beautifully written,” Dr. Alberts said. She also told him that she felt as if she didn’t have Parkinson’s.

Impressed, Dr. Alberts, who now holds an endowed research chair at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, embarked on a series of experiments in which he had people with Parkinson’s disease ride tandem bicycles. The preliminary results are raising fascinating questions not only about whether exercise can help to combat the disease but also — and of broader import — whether intense, essentially forced workouts affect brains differently than gentler activity does, even in those of us who are healthy..

Joachim
10-12-2011, 02:49 PM
We know that exercise upregulate numerous neurotrophic factors which are downregulated in Parkinsons, but I do find the "forced" aspect interesting.

Fixed
10-12-2011, 03:13 PM
good news for me my dad died of Parkinson's
cheers

twin
10-12-2011, 05:33 PM
I am also glad because my mother died from this very unpleasant disease.

Bruce K
10-12-2011, 06:31 PM
It's why I support the Davis Phinney Foundation and all the work it does supporting programs and research in support of programs to improve the quality of life for those sufferingcwith this awful disease.

BK