PDA

View Full Version : Fizik Aliante Alternatives?

tlarwa
10-12-2011, 01:02 PM
I swapped out a 143mm Specialized Alias (which was comfortable) for an Aliante. While the Aliante was comfortable as well, the creak it developed has rendered it almost unridable. I just put a 143 Toupe on my Roubaix, and it's not ass-friendly to me. What other saddles match up well against the Aliante? I'm afraid to try another one, should it develop the dreaded creak as well. I need something in the mid 140mm width area (or at least that's worked well for me in the past). Suggestions?

Tom

Joachim
10-12-2011, 01:05 PM
I also rode an Aliante and currently ride a Prologo Scratch Pro. For me both are equally comfortable. They come in two sizes so you should be covered.

AngryScientist
10-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Hi Tom, where is the creak coming from? where the rails meet the saddle itself? if so, just spray a little liquid dry lube in there and see if it eliminates the creaking.

that said, i have fizik saddles on several bikes, including my cross bike, which is hardly treated gently, and i dont have any that creak. so, bottom line is that if the aliante works for you, stick to it.

tlarwa
10-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Hi Tom, where is the creak coming from? where the rails meet the saddle itself? if so, just spray a little liquid dry lube in there and see if it eliminates the creaking.

that said, i have fizik saddles on several bikes, including my cross bike, which is hardly treated gently, and i dont have any that creak. so, bottom line is that if the aliante works for you, stick to it.

I've read all the posts on the Aliante creak, and have tried every fix mentioned, to no avail. And I know it's the saddle, because I've swapped all the other potential culprits out; post, pedals, crankset, bottom bracket). You name it, I've tried it. I was SOOOO happy when I bought my Roubaix and it rides quietly!

I'd love to stay with the Aliante, I just hate to spend the $$ and have the same issue.

Black Dog
10-12-2011, 01:53 PM
2 Aliantes with 1000's and 1000's of miles on each and no creak. You may have a bad one. By the way both mine have Ti rails and not carbon.

dan682
10-12-2011, 02:08 PM
I have 3 Aliantes, one carbon rail, one ti and one cheap sport model and none of them have ever creaked.

thwart
10-12-2011, 02:19 PM
I've got a good half dozen or so... creak-free.

Knock on wood.

dekindy
10-12-2011, 02:50 PM
I also rode an Aliante and currently ride a Prologo Scratch Pro. For me both are equally comfortable. They come in two sizes so you should be covered.

Me, too. I researched Aliante replacements and found a significant number that had switched to the Scratch Pro. Coincidentally, Real Cyclist had them for sale at 75% off so it did not cost much to experiment and I am glad I did.

Certainly understand your reluctance to spend a lot for a saddle that may not work. However cost would have kept me from finding a saddle just as comfortable as the Aliante but allows more moving around on the saddle. 134 width is the most common and the Assosmeter says I need a wider saddle. After riding the 134 Scratch Pro most of the Summer and liking it very well but still curious about the hard to find 143, I found a demo source (http://www.distancebiker.com/store/index.php/bike-components/saddles/b6387.html) and tried the 143 but decided to stay with the 134.

thinpin
10-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Another happy Aliante user here. I have 4 and no creaks whatsoever. Maybe you have a dud. Can you bring it back and get a replacement? or try another model. If I was not across the pacific I would offer you one to try out. Maybe a local forumite can help?
I cannot offer recommendations for a replacement but i can say that the new Aliante VS Versus and I did not get along at all, maybe one to avoid.

tlarwa
10-12-2011, 03:25 PM
After reading about all you happy, no-creak, Aliante users, I am going to try one more thing. The only thing I haven't done is mount the Aliante on my new bike (Specialized Roubaix Pro SL). I'm going to throw it on there and see if I still get a creak. If not, then I'll know it's something to do with my Dolan, and resign myself to the fact that I'll NEVER determine the cause :crap: But at least my rear will be happy riding the Aliante again!

I'll report back...

oldpotatoe
10-12-2011, 04:11 PM
I swapped out a 143mm Specialized Alias (which was comfortable) for an Aliante. While the Aliante was comfortable as well, the creak it developed has rendered it almost unridable. I just put a 143 Toupe on my Roubaix, and it's not ass-friendly to me. What other saddles match up well against the Aliante? I'm afraid to try another one, should it develop the dreaded creak as well. I need something in the mid 140mm width area (or at least that's worked well for me in the past). Suggestions?

Tom

Warranty the saddle. I've sold a bunch of these w/o any that creaked.

Gummee
10-12-2011, 05:31 PM
...or sell it to me! I'm looking to try an Aliante for cheap.

IDK if it'll work and don't want to spend the big $$ on a new one.

M

Bob Ross
10-13-2011, 06:26 AM
I have 3 Aliantes, one carbon rail, one ti and one cheap sport model and none of them have ever creaked.

I have 3 Aliantes, one Ti ("Kium") rail, one VS and one cheap sport model and the only one that ever exhibited the infamous creak was the cheap sport model...and that was 5 years ago. Three squirts of White Lightning Epic chainlube at the points where the rails enter the saddle cured that, and it's been silent ever since.

jmoore
10-13-2011, 09:25 AM
I hate recovering Aliante's and any saddle with the little mini-cutout in the back.

That is all.