PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Dirtphalt Ride Report-DAY ONE

BumbleBeeDave
10-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Wow, what a weekend! Dirtphalt 2011 was such a great time and you're gonna be sorry you missed it after you see the rest of us enjoying it this much!

First off, thanks so much to our oh-so-generous hosts, Eric (CNYRider) and Craig (CSB) . . . and also a huge thank you to Glenn (Maxdog) and his wife Denise who opened their home to me for lodging without ever meeting me before and just taking my word for it that I don't snore. They are special people and I owe them a huge thank you!

Anyway, here we go . . . Our cast of Saturday characters ready to ride:

left to right . . . Craig (CSB), Nick (Angry Scientist), Glen (Maxdog), Eric, Johny (Johny), Eric (CNYRider), John (JohnMDesigner), and me (Bumblebeedave)

BumbleBeeDave
10-11-2011, 09:03 PM
. . . riding along. Foliage was great and weather was perfect.

BumbleBeeDave
10-11-2011, 09:05 PM
. . . and a good time.

BumbleBeeDave
10-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Eric has a slow BBQ cooker and he left several racks of ribs in it all day while we were out riding. The result was worth waiting for . . . Followed by sunset over Canadarago Lake.

fourflys
10-11-2011, 09:13 PM
awesome... as jealous as some of you are of us in San Diego in the winter, I'm just as jealous of you guys right now... BTW- how many miles was day 1?

SpeedyChix
10-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Looks fantastic!

BumbleBeeDave
10-11-2011, 09:49 PM
. . . was 32.5 miles and day two was 34 miles. We were out for about four hours each day. Conversational pace, nobody gets dropped, and the others were REAL patient with my wanting to get "photo opps."

BBD

eolson124
10-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Dave, Eric & Craig:

As the new guy to the forum (and the ride), I had great time. Rolling trails, sophisticated conversation, welcoming fellow riders, great BBQ, and ideal weather - what more could you ask for? I really enjoyed myself and discovered a tremendous resource in the forum.

I hope to join you next year. Thanks again. EWO

BumbleBeeDave
10-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Great to see you here! Yeah, we DID have a great time, didn't we! :hello: :D

I'll post Day Two pics as soon as I can.

BBD

Johny
10-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Dave, Eric & Craig:

As the new guy to the forum (and the ride), I had great time. Rolling trails, sophisticated conversation, welcoming fellow riders, great BBQ, and ideal weather - what more could you ask for? I really enjoyed myself and discovered a tremendous resource in the forum.

I hope to join you next year. Thanks again. EWO

Welcome to the forum, Eric. It was great time riding and talking with you.

John

Johny
10-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Wow, what a weekend! Dirtphalt 2011 was such a great time and you're gonna be sorry you missed it after you see the rest of us enjoying it this much!

First off, thanks so much to our oh-so-generous hosts, Eric (CNYRider) and Craig (CSB) . . . and also a huge thank you to Glenn (Maxdog) and his wife Denise who opened their home to me for lodging without ever meeting me before and just taking my word for it that I don't snore. They are special people and I owe them a huge thank you!

Anyway, here we go . . . Our cast of Saturday characters ready to ride:

left to right . . . Craig (CSB), Nick (Angry Scientist), Glen (Maxdog), Eric, Johny (Johny), Eric (CNYRider), John (JohnMDesigner), and me (Bumblebeedave)

Thanks for the great photos and memory, Dave.

John

jr59
10-12-2011, 04:43 AM
Jealous, indeed!

I will get even in a few months, when those roads are covered in snow and you are riding the trainer.
While we here in the deep south will be outside riding in bibs and serotta jerseys!

lol!

It looks like a great time was had by all.

Post more pics for those of us who don't get to see the leaves change or know what a hill is!! :banana:

AngryScientist
10-12-2011, 06:08 AM
great photog work as usual Dave. A great time was definitely had. I have a few more cool shots i'll add to this when i get home tonight, as well as the elevation graphs for the ride if anyone is interested.

Also Dave - do these photos live anywhere in full size that i can grab?

cassa
10-12-2011, 06:43 AM
Looks like a nice ride with great scenery and weather. I notice quite a range of tire widths. How did the skinnier tires do on the looser road surfaces?

thinpin
10-12-2011, 06:55 AM
I really should make the effort next year. What wonderful cycling country. Great photos BBD.

AngryScientist
10-12-2011, 07:09 AM
Looks like a nice ride with great scenery and weather. I notice quite a range of tire widths. How did the skinnier tires do on the looser road surfaces?

most of us were on cross bikes with between 28c and 36c cx typed tires i believe. we had a few join us with mtbs, but those were overkill for the relatively well groomed dirt roads.

drewski
10-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Eric has a slow BBQ cooker and he left several racks of ribs in it all day while we were out riding. The result was worth waiting for . . . Followed by sunset over Canadarago Lake.

The beer is freaky beautiful. The picture on the right is not bad either.

Steve in SLO
10-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Looks like a great ride. I've been thinking about a similar ride in SLO. Hmmm...

johnmdesigner
10-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks Dave for the great shots! I was looking in the wrong place. :D

AngryScientist
10-13-2011, 09:17 PM
elevation data for day one if anyone is curious. unfortunately the garmin lost the signal on the final mile or so back to erics place.

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af153/aero_dynamic8/elevation.gif

BumbleBeeDave
10-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Here's a tease . . .

BBD

fungusamungus33
10-13-2011, 09:56 PM
So sorry that I missed out.

I sold a cross bike that would have been perfect... That's as close as I came to enjoying your company or any riding over Columbus Day weekend.

Work was a sorry substitute for the fun you guys clearly had. Next time...

CCB

CNY rider
10-14-2011, 05:50 AM
elevation data for day one if anyone is curious. unfortunately the garmin lost the signal on the final mile or so back to erics place.

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af153/aero_dynamic8/elevation.gif

That's cool.
Does it give a total for feet climbed?

AngryScientist
10-14-2011, 06:15 AM
That's cool.
Does it give a total for feet climbed?

roughly 3500'

Steevo
10-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Looks like it was a great ride. Wish I could have made it. One of these days...

BBD - Great sunset shot of the lake!!

rwsaunders
10-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Nice photos as usual, BBDave....it looks like it was a great route.

johnnymossville
10-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Ribs!!!

Fixed
10-15-2011, 02:51 PM
nice fall colors
cheers

Ray
10-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Wow, BEAUTIFUL! Almost enough to make me want to get back on the bike and get in a bit of shape in time for next year's edition...

-Ray

Fixed
10-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Wow, BEAUTIFUL! Almost enough to make me want to get back on the bike and get in a bit of shape in time for next year's edition...

-Ray
maybe i can join you then too..
cheers